RANDOM DRIVE? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
RANDOM DRIVE?

Does anyone just get bored and go for random drives?
its 3am here and I am far from tired and I am bored. Sometimes
I will just go for a drive across the city to the farthest coffee shop and get a hot apple cider and drive back, doing some drifting in the snow.
People tell me its a waste of gas but to me its enjoyable. Its no different then the boy next door going for a rip on his snowmachine.
KraftDinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 03:07 AM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Oh I do this all the time. It just sucks now that my Mustang's in storage for the winter.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lol.
I, until recently, used to take a two hundred mile round trip at midnight to grab a corned beef sandwich and see what other trouble that I could get myself into.
I'm at my best under the cover of darkness...

And it's a hella good corned beef sandwich.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 03:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I do it all the time as well. If only there was a coffee shop open here and not just Sheetz. Where's this corned beef sandwich you speak of?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
Jsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:04 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Just got back! found a freshly plowed parking lot with some light posts . Pretty fun drifting around!! With or without traction control off my car is riding on cheater slicks makes me feel like Ken Block
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1622038_355159224626655_1513761278_n.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	145823  
Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsvt View Post
I do it all the time as well. If only there was a coffee shop open here and not just Sheetz. Where's this corned beef sandwich you speak of?

Tommy's Joynt.
San Francisco
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Last time I went on a random drive was after a stupid argument with my misses... decided I'd drive around White Rock Lake and totally cleared my head. When I got back to my gate I couldn't even remember my damn gate code, like seriously. I decided to never do it again... next time I might end up two states over and on some damn Amber Alert, lol. true story!

Marty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Tommy's Joynt.
San Francisco
Damn that'd be a hell of a midnight drive from PA.

Jsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I take the 98 out in the summer all the time late at night. Parkway is clear and long stretches of straightaways to just cruise and listen to the exhaust hum. My wife says I'm an idiot for wasting gas. I tell her its no worse than the ridiculously long showers she takes and our water bill lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I love going on drives but the cons of living in small town of 2,000 comes into effect. In about 29 minutes you can drive every street up and down, nothing interesting to look at, only other cars on the road are trucks... Damn Kansas. And the guilt from putting miles on my car makes things worse... I'm a real head case I guess... Only a common 02 GT but its the nicest around here and it's my baby
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
I love going on drives but the cons of living in small town of 2,000 comes into effect. In about 29 minutes you can drive every street up and down, nothing interesting to look at, only other cars on the road are trucks... Damn Kansas. And the guilt from putting miles on my car makes things worse... I'm a real head case I guess... Only a common 02 GT but its the nicest around here and it's my baby
I know this all to well. I live in a small in TN. I was told once that aggressive mufflers are not aloud. I just looked at the cop and laughed and beat both tickets he gave me for them. Can't ride to much to late at nite here because they will mess with you. Small town cops are the reason I have a bad opinion of cops.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #12

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTstanger View Post
I know this all to well. I live in a small in TN. I was told once that aggressive mufflers are not aloud. I just looked at the cop and laughed and beat both tickets he gave me for them. Can't ride to much to late at nite here because they will mess with you. Small town cops are the reason I have a bad opinion of cops.
I live in a small town in Oklahoma and used to be a cop here. Exhaust aren't enforced much here unless they are just bored. When I was a cop I was at Walmart and there was a hopped up gto in the parking lot idling. You could tell he had seriously modified it. When he walked outing told him to get on I wanted to hear the exhaust. He thought he would get a ticket. I told him I wouldn't leave the parking lot. I stood outside my vehicle at 2 am and listened to his car which sounded bad a**. I realize not every cop is like I was but there are some cops that are gear heads just like us.
98gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98gtvert View Post
I live in a small town in Oklahoma and used to be a cop here. Exhaust aren't enforced much here unless they are just bored. When I was a cop I was at Walmart and there was a hopped up gto in the parking lot idling. You could tell he had seriously modified it. When he walked outing told him to get on I wanted to hear the exhaust. He thought he would get a ticket. I told him I wouldn't leave the parking lot. I stood outside my vehicle at 2 am and listened to his car which sounded bad a**. I realize not every cop is like I was but there are some cops that are gear heads just like us.
I only wish I could run into cops like you. I dont let the cops tell me what I can and can not do with my car. It might be Lloyd and badass but its legal. I've always had high flow cats and mufflers which is all the law requires. No where in the law does it state how loud a car can be. Only that you must have mufflers and that basically you can't have a serious exhaust leak. I printed the law off and took it and my receipts of the exhaust work to court and the judge seen it and threw my ticket out both times. The judge asked the cop why he gave me the ticket and the cop said that I didn't have mufflers. The judge handed the cop my papers and said, I believe he does. So the cop asks me why its so loud so I told him I have the most aggressive mufflers flowmaster makes on it. He told me, rite in front of the judge, that this is a small town and they dont like aggressive mufflers that i need to change them. I told the cop, rite in front of the judge, as long as its legal i will not change it.

I want to add that i was young and had been in front of them a lot for many driving offenses. No dui or anyting like that. All the cops and judges knew me well. But knew I never caused any bad trouble, just liked driving hard and fast. They also knew I wasn't one to bite my tounge. And believe it or not the judge agreed with me that day in court. I was never bothered about my exhaust again.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I get bored sometimes and take the cobra out.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #15

Glad you got it beat. There was a kid here that had the same thing one to him that happened to you except he was purposely racking his pipes off on his stang. He won against the cop too. In the major cities in Oklahoma there are noise ordinances that the enforce stereos and exhaust for being to loud. Luckily I don't live in one of those Towns. I love the small town life and the cops here know be by name and still talk to me even though im not in law enforcement anymore. Haven't been in two years
I left to make better money than when I was a cop.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Glad you got it beat. There was a kid here that had the same thing one to him that happened to you except he was purposely racking his pipes off on his stang. He won against the cop too. In the major cities in Oklahoma there are noise ordinances that the enforce stereos and exhaust for being to loud. Luckily I don't live in one of those Towns. I love the small town life and the cops here know be by name and still talk to me even though im not in law enforcement anymore. Haven't been in two years
I left to make better money than when I was a cop.
98gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

There has to be room for compromise. I do not like aggressive policing, but most times, I have few issues with them as long as I am reasonable. Noise is subjective. I like the sound of some nice pipes, but not when the kids are using the road in front of my house for staging street races at two in the morning. Even worse is when I am stuck at a light or in line and some idiot is blasting his sound system where even with my windows up, I cannot hear my music. All you hear is the thump, thump, thump of the bass.

I am a night person, and I often would take late drives. Being away from large communities most times, I would just think of some town I haven't been to for awhile, and go check it out.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I've never tried to be a nuisance to others. But I build my cars to suit me and my likes. I've never been one to purposely break laws. I had dual super 44 muffler a with single inlet and dual outlets. I'm not into huge systems, honestly when my car sounds good I'll listen to that 90% of the time. I stuck out like a sore thumb in my town because of my car so it drew attention to me. There were very few people that built their cars and mine was the most radical at the time. 420 HP GT with 351w with a nice loose and the muffkers mentioned above.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

RANDOM DRIVE?

I would totally go on random drives if I lived in the country. Instead, I live in the city and driving here gives me no pleasure. Seriously, if I ever just wanna piss myself off, I'd go driving. Haha I drove from my house to the National Harbor the other night and by the time I got there my finger nails had been bitten to nubs and I was red in the face. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. I don't even get to get on the beltway or any major road to pick up speed. My commute to work is 15 minutes through congested streets moving at about 30 mph. Boo.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Yep, The best driving is at 4"am

I sometimes get up at four in the morning and go for a drive to no-place. It is nice and only the great sound of my Magnaflow's and the 50's music on my Sirius radio add to my driving experience. I don't go fast and do the back roads as much as possible. I usually get to the diner by 7 and have a nice three egg breakfast and coffee and head home. I live in Florida so I have no ice or snow to worry about. I used to do this when I was working at my job on my Harley Davidson and end up at work by 7:33 or 8:am to open up the store. It is the lack of traffic and stillness of the night I love. I now do it in my Mustang and it is just as enjoyable.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I love to cruise the back roads. I use to do it all the time. Must go out and listen to the flowmasters talk to me as I upshift and down shift around curves. Didn't really get on it much. Just a good way to clear my head and relax. Now a days tho I dont get to do it much. Lack of money kind of confines me to the house for now. Its been a while since I've gotten to just go out and enjoy the drive.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Hey SixBanger

I guess you live either near Washington or Baltimore. I hate driving through that area on my way to Elkton Maryland to visit my friends. It is the very worst place in the whole wide world to be driving. There is no way I can see driving around these over crowded , way to much traffic cities other then Highway 301 with red lights every two miles that I seem to get every one of them "RED"
The on going never ending construction is another pain in the A**.
You have heavy traffic a full 24 hours a day with no let up. I'm guessing the only driving pleasure you can get is going out of town on weekends to the Maryland countryside. But, Then you have to go back.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I guess you live either near Washington or Baltimore. I hate driving through that area on my way to Elkton Maryland to visit my friends. It is the very worst place in the whole wide world to be driving. There is no way I can see driving around these over crowded , way to much traffic cities other then Highway 301 with red lights every two miles that I seem to get every one of them "RED"

The on going never ending construction is another pain in the A**.

You have heavy traffic a full 24 hours a day with no let up. I'm guessing the only driving pleasure you can get is going out of town on weekends to the Maryland countryside. But, Then you have to go back.

Ronnie

Yep. I live across the street (literally) from the DC border in PG county. I usually just tell people I live in DC because it's that close and people know where that is. It truly is the worst of the worst. I read in the Washington Post that the average DC driver is 4x more likely to get in a car accident than the national average.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
In NJ I can't drive up the Parkway during the work commute times without the guarantee of a big traffic jam because idiots get into wrecks or just rubberneck. Last week I was in a big traffic jam because there was an accident on the other side of the highway and people were slowing down to 30mph to gawk at it mouth breather style. Granted it was a horrific wreck with a fire and everything but omfg JUST GO.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #24

I take mine out justa about every night for a maddog run to the casino. Got to pay for gas somehow.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Siklean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I love taking random drives through back roads (or flights to wherever).
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
yep...small town but there are roads that go to even smaller towns. Back roads rule!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
yep...small town but there are roads that go to even smaller towns. Back roads rule!
Wish we had some good Tarmac back roads here... Mustangs and dirt roads don't mix well
Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wish we had some good Tarmac back roads here... Mustangs and dirt roads don't mix well

Jesus I have only ever driven on a single dirt road in my Mustang and it was a driveway. Lol different worlds.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Jesus I have only ever driven on a single dirt road in my Mustang and it was a driveway. Lol different worlds.
Oh I've never driven down a dirt road in my mustang either, I was jus saying all the back roads here are dirt. Farthest dirt road I've driven is a 50 foot dirt driveway
Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh I've never driven down a dirt road in my mustang either, I was jus saying all the back roads here are dirt. Farthest dirt road I've driven is a 50 foot dirt driveway
I got you. I remember the one I drove down was probably half a mile. It was the driveway of this enormous house on the river. I was invited to a dinner party there the same day that I bought my Mustang. So she was sparkling clean straight from the dealership and then I had to drive down a dusty old dirt road. I was pissed!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I frequently take my car on short little cruises to clear my head. Mostly to the forrest preserve and what not. I have at random, hopped on the highway and took the 20 minute ride to the city in the Wee hours of the morning. I try to limit the useless miles I put on it, trying to keep the miles low.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftDinner View Post
Does anyone just get bored and go for random drives?
its 3am here and I am far from tired and I am bored. Sometimes
I will just go for a drive across the city to the farthest coffee shop and get a hot apple cider and drive back, doing some drifting in the snow.
People tell me its a waste of gas but to me its enjoyable. Its no different then the boy next door going for a rip on his snowmachine.
So is macaroni your favorite food?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
So is macaroni your favorite food?
Are you implying that I must be broke after that? hahha... I know fuel is expensive but the money doesnt seem to affect me much... its not like I have kids or anyone to spend money on... on valentines day I will be buying myself the eibach pro kit... love being single
Old 01-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #34

Haha me too (:
shesashelbytome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:56 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I definitely take my baby for a walk all the time specially when im stressed i take it at night for a nice cruise. Most of the times i go to the mountain roads that are literally less than 10 minutes from my house and i look at all the city lights. I love that view it makes me happy and relaxed. And since the freeway is like 5 minutes away i sometimes take it on the freeway lol
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion