More horse power on my 2008 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
More horse power on my 2008 GT

Hi guys.
I'm looking to build more hp on my 08 GT 4.6.
I've done CAI, cams, cat backs and 3.73 gears. I'm only recording 287 rwhp.
My goal is to eventually get to 600 rwhp. What's my next move?
stanzmustang08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Forced induction would be your best bet super or turbo charged pick one or both
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you Tom. I'm new at this. I've been told that if you reach a certain hp power point, you have to do work to your block. It may crack.Is that true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Yes to reach 600 rwhp you'll have to have your motor built up grade fuel sys,injectors,have tuned at a Dyno shop, mass air flow sen., and mabe a few other things I left out you May could reach 450 with f/I with low boost and boost a pump and some injectors don't know a whole lot about the 4.6's but you can give hyper motive performance a look jay will point you in the right direction
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks again! Appreciate the info
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Block won't crack, not the modular iron block, not unless you are pushing well past 1,000hp. The internals are the weak point on the modular motor unless you have an 03/04 Cobra or a 5.4L Shelby or something...

FIrst thing I would check is did the installer (or you) of the cams properly degree them? Just installing them like factory is not correct. Also what is your tune like? Your numbers are bit low but if you still have the factory mid pipe that could explain it too. I did not see you list that and it will SUCK power if its still stock.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

My tune came from bama tuning via American muscle through email. I'm quickly learning though that nothing beats a tune right up on the dyno. So I found a local shop that's does this. Maybe get a better tune from them and go from there.
As far as the mid pipes, I did not change them, yet. Should I go off road X pipes?
Thanks
Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Yeah, sound like you could definitely use some new headers and a new mid-pipe next. Look at ceramic long tubes, for the mid-pipe you could get a shorty catted mid-pipe, or if you don't have emissions testing an off-road mid-pipe would the best. Headers + mid-pipe should be at least 20+ HP with the mods you currently have (from what I've read).
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I definitely need to pass emissions. As I do like to ride it in the streets, spring,summer and fall. If I use catted after market mid-pipes, would they be a major difference in hp from off road ones?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanzmustang08 View Post
My tune came from bama tuning via American muscle through email. I'm quickly learning though that nothing beats a tune right up on the dyno. So I found a local shop that's does this. Maybe get a better tune from them and go from there.
As far as the mid pipes, I did not change them, yet. Should I go off road X pipes?
Thanks
AM does not tune for cams so I dunno how they even gave you a tune unless you didn't tell them about the cams. Which would make your tune completely worthless... Unless they just started doing it but that would be news to me.

And again, did you have them properly degreed if you did it or did your installer properly degree the cams? Like I said, using the factory marks is not enough. Heck even on a pushrod its good practice to degree a cam vs just going "dot to dot".

Its been my experience that you have to be VERY selective in who does work on a performance modular. For some reason or other a lot of performance shops don't have much or any modular experience. Hell I just saw a post on another forum where a speedshop installed a guy's modular pistons upside down because they didn't know the valve reliefs on a modular are at the bottom... yeah...

Finally, yeah the midpipe should have been one of the first things done IMO. Removing it will free up a pretty good chunk on a cammed car. If you need emissions then get a catted pipe, if you live in nazi smog land (california) make sure you get one that is CARB compliant. You can also just get any midpipe you want and swap the stocker back on for emissions days. I did that on my 95 Cobra. Every 2 years for us in NJ so every 2 years I would take the half hour to swap the pipe to the stocker, go get sniffed, come home, another half hour to swap back to OR and roll.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Bama does tunes for cams. They did for me a few years back. I have the ford hot rod cams
Edd204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
I definitely need to pass emissions. As I do like to ride it in the streets, spring,summer and fall. If I use catted after market mid-pipes, would they be a major difference in hp from off road ones?
I'm doing headers and mid-pipe next, this is what I'm getting:

JBA Silver Ceramic Long Tube Mustang Headers 6675SJS (05-10 GT) - Free Shipping
JBA Mustang Catted Shorty H-Pipe 6675SHC (05-10 GT) - Free Shipping

I'm going with an h-pipe for a deeper sound but an x-pipe could be used too.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys! Appreciate the input.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Scott, I checked with the mechanic that installed the mutha thumps comp cams.
He said that type of cam did not need a set degree. That the they were made for factory setting.
Does that sound right?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Scott, I checked with the mechanic that installed the mutha thumps comp cams.
He said that type of cam did not need a set degree. That the they were made for factory setting.
Does that sound right?
Any mechanic that does not degree cams has 0 business getting your money or touching a motor for that matter. I'd demand a refund and find a new mechanic that isn't an idiot.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I'm already on the new mechanic thing. Found a dyno shop that has capable mechanics that work on race engines. Seem like a great group
Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I can have them degree the cams
Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd204 View Post
Bama does tunes for cams. They did for me a few years back. I have the ford hot rod cams

Ed I think I will go with long tube headers and mid pipe. Then have it retuned by the dyno shop I just recently found. See what rwhp I can grab then. I think bama is conservative in their email tunes. I think having it on the dyno and computers right there in front of you, you should get a better time. I hope
Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

For a bolt on car the Bama/Steeda/whoever tunes are pretty good. However you will get the best bang for the buck by getting a custom dyno tune or even learning yourself on a Moates. I STILL need to start learning how to use my QH. Paying $600 for a dyno tune just makes me want to jump off a bridge especially when I know I could learn myself and I have the tuner on the shelf. Just need to buy the software.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Good point Scott. It a little cheaper out here in Chelmsford MA. $300.- for a Dyno tune. $80.- for 3 pulls if you just want to see where your at.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Hey guys I'm thinking myself to install cams on my gt I hear u guys talk a lot about degree them is it hard to do that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
blackbeauty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure. But I guess I didn't have the right mechanic because he didn't degree my mutha thumps comp cams. They sound great though!
I'll probably have someone go back in and degree them if it make a significant difference.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeauty 2 View Post
Hey guys I'm thinking myself to install cams on my gt I hear u guys talk a lot about degree them is it hard to do that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
You can look up a bunch of different how tos on the google and there are videos on youtube IIRC. I degreed my Comp cam in my pushrod even though everyone swore "dot to dot" would be fine. Except the actual engine builders who said "always degree". Dot to dot did wind up being fine but it was good to be totally sure.

At any rate you can pay to have them degreed and marked by your cam seller like MHS or Cushman. They'll come ready to go with good inspected OEM sprockets and you just line up the marks and go. Pretty much paying someone to make it so you can go "dot to dot" with confidence it isn't borked.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yea since adding the supercharger I had a remote dyno tune done this past summer I think all toghter it was around 500.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Yea since adding the supercharger I had a remote dyno tune done this past summer I think all toghter it was around 500.
What is a remote dyno tune? Just asking, that is the first time I heard this term, remote dyno and not remote tuner using data logging.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I guess I mis worded it. It's a remote tuning session on a dyno. We upload the base tune, do a pull , log the info n send it back and did it back n forth till he was satisfied
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Yea I guess I mis worded it. It's a remote tuning session on a dyno. We upload the base tune, do a pull , log the info n send it back and did it back n forth till he was satisfied
With the way networking is going now, its only a matter of time before tuners are going to be able to tune in real time directly linked to the car, even on the street. I mean you don't have to be at the dyno shop to tune the car, you just need to be connected to the computer. Hell, a tuner could even tune remotely on the street with half the ppl having wireless hotspots and pretty much everyone has a laptop.

In the civilian aviaton industry the jets literally run a self diagnostic and can link up with a central control center and the tech there can walk you through exactly what needs replaced, what parts to order and pull up the correct tech data on how to change it. No reason a car can't do this with something as simple and small as a tune file.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, yes the tech is available for a real remote dyno, I was wondering if it was being done yet as that could save a 1100 mile drive for me later. Many airliners even land themselves.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Thanks guys, yes the tech is available for a real remote dyno, I was wondering if it was being done yet as that could save a 1100 mile drive for me later. Many airliners even land themselves.
Lots of people think this but no. You autopilot down pretty low on the glideslope but the actual landing is accomplished by the pilots.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Lots of people think this but no. You autopilot down pretty low on the glideslope but the actual landing is accomplished by the pilots.
I got that tid bit from an engineer at the Boeing plat in Washington state. We had a tour of the manufacturing plant. While what you have above is normal, he says they can put them down on their own.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok I gotcha now, I thought you meant they routinely land themselves which is not the case. On the 17s, our pilots will NOT let the autopilot land the aircraft though. If we can't see the runway when we hit 50ft we call go-around and try again or divert to one of the alternates.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion