Getting disheartened with this car (rant) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Getting disheartened with this car (rant)

Warning, slight "i'm pissed rant". Don't read on if you don't like those

If you have read my posts I picked up a 95 GT vert while I was overseas. Got it to help the ex wife so I bought it sight unseen. Asked her to have it looked at, that didn't work as planned but whatever, in the past. Paid 5k. Some problems I saw immediately and a few have popped up in the short few months I have had it in my possession. Lets see.

I have to fix the exhaust, I can do it for as little as $50 unless I go all out.

Top need to be replaced. Does not leak but has a crack and looks like the back window panel was "repaired".

I thought I had a head gasket leak because it had too much oil and smelled like it was gas that seeped in. I don't seem to be getting more gas in now but I am still leaking and it looks like it is the rear main. Someplace at the back of the oil pan and the front of the tranny. Messy but it looks like a rear main.

Just 20 minutes ago I started up the car to verify leak or no leak and it decided to piss coolant. Looks like the side of the radiator, easy fix for $100 but really.

Needs a throw out bearing. Plus side I can swap that at the same time as the rear main. Might as well toss in a clutch/flywheel while I am at it.

The paint was freshened up but not top notch, needs a good buff out and maybe a touch up. Front bumper has a crack so I guess I will replace it at the came time, ill toss in the new wing then also. There is a paint drip on the bottom of this one and I want a Saleen anyways.

Drivers seat went from cracked leather to a full hole 1 week after i took control of it.

Once I fix all this crap I still have to ungay the wheels and get the radio rewired/replaced. ******** wired it to stay on after the car shuts off and no cap so it pops if on and you turn the key.

Oh and because I was in a hurry I chipped the paint tonight, completely my fault because I was mad. Plus side it is right where they will have to blend for the bumper anyways.

Brakes are going to need attention soon. No clue how bad. Hopefully just new pads and rotors.

OK, rant over. This car is just starting to piss me off. It was supposed to be the driver while I finished the 70, maybe just minor crap. Now 2 projects. I think the only reason I didn't sell it is my son loves it and wants it one day. I absolutely love the color combo though (deep forest green/tan). Yellow/black is the only one I like nearly as much.

Anyways, thats it. Probably would not have pissed me off so much had I only paid 3500-4k
2016 Mustang GT, Fastback Perf Pack (Ingot Silver)
Splogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Taimi
Sounds like you got a lemon. I had the same situation with my van in 2012. Stupid shyster of a dealer sold me a van with a bad radiator and a coolant leak... choosing to take advantage of the fact that neither my wife and I know much about cars, or knew, as it were.
Taimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, Had I gone to check this car out I would have seen enough to pass. The Ex took her friend who knows nothing. They saw a pretty convertible and didnt see the real issues. I think the previous owners nosed it into something. The bumper was off a red car and I found some things that tell me they had the front apart. If I could get enough out of it I would almost consider trading it for a new one but we know how that would go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Taimi
*I* should have known better, because I DID notice oil all over the engine compartment. However, I told myself that it is an engine, it gets dirty. There WERE red flags, but I wasn't going to tell my fiance what to do with her car. I truly feel your pain. The only reason we have a good running mustang is because a friend sold it to us for half of what it is worth.
Taimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splogan View Post
Yea, Had I gone to check this car out I would have seen enough to pass. The Ex took her friend who knows nothing. They saw a pretty convertible and didnt see the real issues. I think the previous owners nosed it into something. The bumper was off a red car and I found some things that tell me they had the front apart. If I could get enough out of it I would almost consider trading it for a new one but we know how that would go
For a $5K 20 year old car? Just flip it and find another even if you take a small hit; just part of life I found out in my past. I bet your be better off on the next one you get to check out yourself. I always say don't put good money into bad money, take a small loss and put the good money into something good.

Just an old man idea
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I don't want to sound like a tool so I'm sorry if this comes out that way. You bought a car with many somewhat obvious defects and deficiencies. Unfortunately, you didn't have a knowledgeable person check it out and provide unbiased information to you. You had two people tell you it was a 'pretty convertible' and you listened to them. You really don't have a right to be 'mad' at the car or the people whose judgement you relied on. You should only be mad at yourself for going through with a deal in this manner. Caveat emptor...
Old 01-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I am not mad at the ex at all. She was supposed to take her step dad who is an ASE mechanic however for some reason she took her friend. I had told her some things to look for but she missed them. I am definitely not mad at her. Like the title said, just getting a little disheartened with the car. I would be perfectly OK had I paid 1500 less like I said.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Hey - I'm really sorry you have a car you are not happy with. That is never good. You mentioned two things that I perceive as different - 'disheartened and pissed'. I guess I got hung up on the 'pissed'. On the good side, you have a car I always really liked - the 70 fastback. I have an interesting story.

My first car was a somewhat undependable 1964 Thunderbird. I loved it and got it when I was 16. In 1983, when I went to college my parents decided I needed something more economical, practical and dependable - all words in conflict with an up and coming 'car nut'. I went with my dad to the local Ford dealer and they had two cars of particular interest - one interested me and one interested my dad. They were both the same price, about $3,500. One was a red '70 Mustang fastback with black stripes, a shaker hoodscoop and a 351. The other car was a '79 orangish-red Ford Fiesta. Guess which one I was driving the next day. The Fiesta did get good mileage and it weighed next to nothing and was pretty easy to mod. After some work it was making somewhere just over 100 hp and weight under 2000#. Truth is, when I got rid of it, it was easily outrunning Z-28's of the day (yes - they had about 140 hp and weighed about twice as much). It was fun embarrassing those Z-28 drivers.

I guess the moral of the story is you can make what you want out of whatever you are driving...
Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

True, my 70 was my dream car. Got in deeper than I wanted with body work but the price was decent and in the end will be a blast to drive. Some day I will even decide on a color. It was red (my avitar) when i got it and originally mint green. Being military and moving the restoration on it has taken forever.

This 95 is nothing that cant be fixed up and in the end I am out maybe 2k over something else, just frustrating. I guess a better to way would look at it would be the issues give me good reason to make upgrades, I just prefer when things are on my terms.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My daughter-in-law wanted a Mustang and searched high and low for one until she found the one she liked. It was an '87 GT that looked really pretty in the photos. She took both of my sons to look at it, and they said, "NO!" She got pouty and asked if I would go look at it. The first clue should have been that it was located in a war zone part of town.... I drove it and pointed out the car's problems and advised her to look for another Mustang. We got back to the seller and she said, "I LOVE the color, I'll take it!" 8 months later, and many, many thousands of dollars later, she sold it for a huge loss. Sometimes things just don't work out.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Just either fix it or trade it.

You know the things that need attention and if you can do the repairs your self you will end up with a nice reliable convertible. If you trade it on a new 2014 leftover you may lose a little but be better off in the long run. Or best to go to a FORD DEALER and find a used certified Mustang to trade on. Most dealers have Mustangs coming off lease that they give great deals on.
It is to late for anybody saying "Caveat emptor" for you now. If you sell the car outrite you will probably be like me and tell the new buyer that it will need the repairs or die feeling guilty or end up on "JUDGE JUDY"

Have your son and daughter in law to really wax and shine the car up to look like new. Then take it to the "FORD DEALER" and see what you can do. It is then up to them to find flaws but they don't care because they take it to the auction or wholesale it to a buy here / pay here place.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I did a similar thing on my 89 lx vert.....I let my heart ,not my brain, make the decision. After motor died, I parted entire car out and made *almost* all my money back, but not my time.....I'd part with it. Buy one on YOUR terms and don't let your heart make the decision. good luck..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion