Bama tune hesitation on new car-thoughts - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Weirdly, I seem to be getting significantly worse gas mileage with the Street tune! Normally I get about 19 mpg, and after putting on the 91 Race tune I was getting 18 mpg, which is better than I expected, actually. I switched to the Street tune after my last fill up, and I haven't calculated my mpg yet but I've taken about 150 miles to reach the fuel level I'd normally take 200 miles to get to. I'm probably going to go back to the Race tune for the duration, so it's not a big deal, but it isn't at all what I expected.
ElSaborAsiatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSaborAsiatico View Post
Weirdly, I seem to be getting significantly worse gas mileage with the Street tune! Normally I get about 19 mpg, and after putting on the 91 Race tune I was getting 18 mpg, which is better than I expected, actually. I switched to the Street tune after my last fill up, and I haven't calculated my mpg yet but I've taken about 150 miles to reach the fuel level I'd normally take 200 miles to get to. I'm probably going to go back to the Race tune for the duration, so it's not a big deal, but it isn't at all what I expected.
Same here. I went from 18-19 mpg, to 15-16 mpg on my GT with all three of Bama's tunes. On my V6 I got ~3+ mpg. However, I get about the same or better with my Steeda tune. It's something in the Bama tune.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have had a 93 race tune on my car for three years no problems I did have to have the mt-82 replaced and took it to ford with the tune on the car they didn't say a word about it other than this is the fastest mustang we've driven is it stock .......
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Same here. I went from 18-19 mpg, to 15-16 mpg on my GT with all three of Bama's tunes. On my V6 I got ~3+ mpg. However, I get about the same or better with my Steeda tune. It's something in the Bama tune.
That's interesting -- I gassed up this evening so I calculated my mileage, and sure enough it was 15.8 mpg.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
On newer Mustangs the factory has a fuel instant cut off feature. Once you let up on the throttle, you see the air fuel go to infinity, because they totally cut off the fuel. I have seen tunes remove this MPG feature and that rise of your Air Fuel needle gauge pegging 20+ no longer happens, on Torque apps it hits 39+. With this feature removed some MPG goes down.

Perhaps this is what is happening you are seeing?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
I have a 2014 GT automatic, 1000 miles. Itching to put a Bama tune on it but have hesitated due to thoughts of warranty, reliability, something might go wrong, etc.
Any thoughts if it were you ?
I enjoy the car as is, as it's plenty fast, but you know gearheads, always wanting more.
OP , my 2011 3.7 currently has around 34,000 plus miles and have been running Bama tunes since 1000 plus miles on the car. My car has never run more flawlessly ever since my car has been tuned. I have been running bama tunes in my car for three years now. I also run Steeda and MPT tunes. Let me say, Bama, Steeda and MPT are awesome.

These companies have tunes down for our vehicle to an exact science. They all have inpecible tunning records. Can the dealership void your warranty if you tune your car and you have an engine or transmission issue. Sure, they could. That's the price of modding.

Having your car tuned transforms it into an amazing performance machine. The factory shift points in the automatics are horrible, jerky and sloppy. The throttle response is okay at best on factory tune. The acceleration with a tune is greatly improved.

My recommendation if you go with a tune to start with either Bama or Steeda. Both have free tunes for life, both have great customer service and both give quality safe, reliable tunes.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
They sent me some new tunes, but lost 8/10 in the 60 with the new ones. Not sure why and Bama doesn't know either
v6rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

My mileage has dropped significantly, my tunes are jacked. They sent me updated tunes today and now I'm am slower than stock. Then a few min ago my car would barely start. It has 700 miles on it. Bama acts like they could care less when you call them. This has not been a good first experience with AM/BAMA. Bama folks have not been helpful at all.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:47 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

I have to admit I've found Bama support a little hit and miss. The last time I called in, the guy had the "could care less" attitude you describe and obviously just wanted to get off the call. Other times though they're very responsive and helpful. I dunno, maybe it's just the one guy who sucks?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

I've found about 3 so far. I told them my car won't start, they said, call back tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, that really sucks. I would be enraged!

I dunno. I won't say I'm unhappy with Bama since the tunes have all made a big difference from stock, and they have responded to my questions, but I did order a MPT tune today to see how it compares, and if the performance and fuel mileage are an improvement I will most likely stick with them.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Can mpt tune your existing tuner?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
They will email u a custom tune and u will upload it into ur sct. Then u load it into ur car.
Troy
Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I believe it's the same process as with the Bama tunes. I will return the car to stock before I load the MPT tune onto my tuner, though, just to be 100% safe.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSaborAsiatico View Post
Yeah, I believe it's the same process as with the Bama tunes. I will return the car to stock before I load the MPT tune onto my tuner, though, just to be 100% safe.
When you get an updated tune from the same company you can just flash that tune into your car. In your case though you're doing the right thing flashing back to stock and then flashing in the tune from the new company. Sometimes you can get a mix of the two different companies which you don't want.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion