Bama tune hesitation on new car-thoughts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Bama tune hesitation on new car-thoughts

I have a 2014 GT automatic, 1000 miles. Itching to put a Bama tune on it but have hesitated due to thoughts of warranty, reliability, something might go wrong, etc.
Any thoughts if it were you ?
I enjoy the car as is, as it's plenty fast, but you know gearheads, always wanting more.
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I did mine with 200 miles on it.

I bought the car to enjoy. I can always tune the car back to stock when I take it in for service.

If I was worried about "what might happen", I would have gotten a Hyundai.

Just DO IT!
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
I have a 2014 GT automatic, 1000 miles. Itching to put a Bama tune on it but have hesitated due to thoughts of warranty, reliability, something might go wrong, etc.
Any thoughts if it were you ?
I enjoy the car as is, as it's plenty fast, but you know gearheads, always wanting more.
I would recommend going with a Tune. I completely understand the concern and with anything in life there is the "What if" factor. But I don't think you'll have any problems. There is thousands of people out there really enjoying Bama Custom tunes! However, if you do have any issues we won't leave you hanging. Our Bama team will work with you very quickly to get all issues sorted out! Once you get your tune if you'd like us to give your tune a once over, we can definitely do that for you. Just take a few datalogs and get them send over to us!

I tuned my car literally the day I bought it and haven't looked back. I have 9k on the car now and haven't had a single issue!

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
this is one of those opinion things. I wouldn't. There is conflicting info on what Ford can tell but it is easy enough to put in a non-resetable counter in the computer and tell how many times a program has been changed. As I said opinion only and on the slight chance I may need wtty work I ain't gonna risk it.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
I would recommend going with a Tune. I completely understand the concern and with anything in life there is the "What if" factor. But I don't think you'll have any problems. There is thousands of people out there really enjoying Bama Custom tunes! However, if you do have any issues we won't leave you hanging. Our Bama team will work with you very quickly to get all issues sorted out! Once you get your tune if you'd like us to give your tune a once over, we can definitely do that for you. Just take a few datalogs and get them send over to us!

I tuned my car literally the day I bought it and haven't looked back. I have 9k on the car now and haven't had a single issue!

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
I thought I might have provided AM/Bama with some incorrect information when I initially bought my SCT Tuner. I called American Muscle and they re-configured the initial tunes and sent them back to me. I called in the AM and I had my tunes by 2PM. That's service, and I highly recommend.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

One of the first mods I did was a Bama tuner and an Airaid CAI on my 2013 gt.
It was a but scary tuning it for the first time. But Bama's customer service techs have tons of knowledge about the tuners. One time I thought I had a big problem but the techs walked me through it and I was up and running in no time. Not to mention the hp gains you get from a CAI and tune are awesome. If you plan on modding this is a must.
M_Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
I thought I might have provided AM/Bama with some incorrect information when I initially bought my SCT Tuner. I called American Muscle and they re-configured the initial tunes and sent them back to me. I called in the AM and I had my tunes by 2PM. That's service, and I highly recommend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Andrews View Post
One of the first mods I did was a Bama tuner and an Airaid CAI on my 2013 gt.
It was a but scary tuning it for the first time. But Bama's customer service techs have tons of knowledge about the tuners. One time I thought I had a big problem but the techs walked me through it and I was up and running in no time. Not to mention the hp gains you get from a CAI and tune are awesome. If you plan on modding this is a must.
I'm glad to hear that you guys have had great service from the Bama team. That's awesome and I appreciate your feedback! Let me know if you guys ever have any questions or need some assistance from me in the near future. I'd be happy to help!

-Dan
Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
+1 on Bama tunes..... I was a lil worried bout it as well but bit the bullet and went for it.... Been happier ever since!!! As long as ur not really pounding the crap out of her, what's the likelihood of something breaking that they can blame on the tune....
Ian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I'll just leave this here: BAMA round 2 = Fail - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums
Old 01-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
I've been slowly reading through that thread and half of the posts on there are B.S. Just people saying **** BAMA with no experience with them to back it up.

As with everything, it's all opinion based and luck of the draw. We don't know if BAMA is at fault, or if he ****ed up his CAI install, or if his Mustang has underlying issues he didn't know about. I'll take his post with a grain of salt.

And now that I'm on page 9 or so, I see AM is giving **** away like there is no tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
I'm glad to hear that you guys have had great service from the Bama team. That's awesome and I appreciate your feedback! Let me know if you guys ever have any questions or need some assistance from me in the near future. I'd be happy to help!

-Dan
Dear AMDanBailer, after reading that thread from The Mustang Source and although it would pain me so, I would unwillingly offer you to use my '13 Mustang GT as a test dummy for a BAMA tuner.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can appreciate another opinion and/or alternative research. Before any purchase, the buyer should research the product on which they are spending their hard-earned money. The OP should consider all opinions and comments.

With that said, I did research, and I made numerous comparisons. In the end, the SCT-Bama Tune was my choice. If I made the wrong choice (which I don't believe I did), I can't blame it on the lack of effort of reading as much as I could. I performed the due-diligence.

Has Bama ever had a failure? Of course they have. I'd be totally surprised if they didn't. That's the norm with every dynamic product ever produced. But the vast majority of Bama users report positive results, the same as mine.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Happy with my Bama tuner but noticed that my MPG went significantly down with the performance tune. Had a JLT CAI but got rid of it and will be ordering the canned tunes instead as I want to try their ghost cam tune.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Had Bama tunes on my 06' V6, awesome tune.
Had Bama tunes on my 10' GT, too much for a DD. Took it off after 3 days.

Just bought Steeda's tunes because they boast "safe, reliable, and powerful" note their priority is safety, reliability, and durability first, so that's why I decided to go with Steeda on my 19,000 mile still under warranty GT.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Number 8 fail - SVTPerformance

Pay attention to post #108. The data logs tell the true story.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I've run Bama's 93 Street tune, 93 Performance tune, 93 Race tune. Currently I have the 93 Hybrid tune, and I like it best.

I tune my car with 1100-1200 miles on it. I ran it stock just to sure it was ok with a few miles on it.

I changed my oil at 3000 miles and did an oil sample with the folks linked below for $25. I'm at 11,000 miles now, I changed oil at 9300, and did another sample, the engine is wearing in great with the 93H tune on the car. I plan on doing a sample every oil change, 6,000 mile intervals.

Blackstone Labs

Life is to short to worry. I'm having fun with mine, and I keep an eye on the engine wear. EZPZ.
35% Tint, MGW Shifter, JHR Hectic Motorsports High Flow Clutch Line, Borla S-Type Cat-back, Airaid Race CAI, Bama 93H Tune, Roush Chin Splitter, GT500 Style Spoiler, GT500 Pedal Assy, Ford Racing M-FR3A-MGTAA, High Performance Key Fob Battery.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Put my Bama 93 oct hybrid ghost cam tune on at 1k, now at 6500, and absolutely love it. No issues at all.
In fact, I believe I have had the best Bama CS....never had to talk to them!
Troy
Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Just got my bama tune, air raid, and roush axel back today. I've got a 14 v6 auto with 3:31's and ran a 6.4 0-60 stock. Today my best time was 5.6 on a 93 race tune. Sound about right?
v6rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6rebel View Post
Just got my bama tune, air raid, and roush axel back today. I've got a 14 v6 auto with 3:31's and ran a 6.4 0-60 stock. Today my best time was 5.6 on a 93 race tune. Sound about right?

Sounds pretty good to me.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here's a comparison list for you.

0 to 60 mph in less than 6 seconds - Car List
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #20

I run a Bama 93 race tune on my 2013 GT daily driver with full bolt ons ( LT's, X pipe, Boss intake, Magnaflow axle back ) with no issues. I put a Bama tune on it with 700 miles on the car and over a year and a half later and now with 25,50 miles no issues. My car pulled 450 at the wheels with the Bama tune. I have called and talked to them a couple of times and even data logged once for them and I couldn't be happier. Just my experience.
kwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
How safe it the 93 race tune to run as a daily driver?
v6rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #22

Like I said, I have run mine for almost 25,000 miles with no issues. Now I also have a more aggressive race tune from a local tuner ( Tony Gonyon ) that I wouldn't run everyday. That one I just use at the track. There is a noticeable difference between the two tunes. I personally feel like the Bama tune is safe enough to run everyday.
kwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

New laws mandate that they have to PROVE an issue was caused by the tuner for it to affect warranty coverage so I wouldnt worry about it
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The laws for the US aren't "new"; they date back to the 70s. they aren't intended to address tuning, they are intended to address replacement of consumable items.

If you really think Ford can't make your life hard on warranty service if you bring back a 1 month old car with a blown engine and a tune on it, you're delusional.

What I might do here is shake the car down for a few months and see what, if anything, shows up that concerns you. If you have any problems, then there is no clouding the issue when you take it to the dealer.

After a few months and things settled in nicely, roll the dice however you like.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Number 8 fail - SVTPerformance

Pay attention to post #108. The data logs tell the true story.
Thanks for posting these. As you can see in both of those threads we're working very hard to make sure every single customer is taken care of. We tune more 2011+ Mustangs than anyone else in the world so you're going to see more complaints just based off of the volume. However, we're constantly bending over backwards to make sure our customers are in good hands and are satisfied. Nobody is perfect, so mistakes will happen.. I just hope you guys can bare with us while we do our best to handle every issue head on.

We will never leave a customer up the creek without a paddle. I can't promise that mistakes won't pop up here or there. But I can promise that we'll always go the extra mile to make sure every customer is in good hands.

Let me know if you guys ever need some assistance.

-Dan
Old 01-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
New laws mandate that they have to PROVE an issue was caused by the tuner for it to affect warranty coverage so I wouldnt worry about it
Do you have any links to the new laws? State or Federal laws?
35% Tint, MGW Shifter, JHR Hectic Motorsports High Flow Clutch Line, Borla S-Type Cat-back, Airaid Race CAI, Bama 93H Tune, Roush Chin Splitter, GT500 Style Spoiler, GT500 Pedal Assy, Ford Racing M-FR3A-MGTAA, High Performance Key Fob Battery.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #27
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
Happy with my Bama tuner but noticed that my MPG went significantly down with the performance tune. Had a JLT CAI but got rid of it and will be ordering the canned tunes instead as I want to try their ghost cam tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Had Bama tunes on my 06' V6, awesome tune.
Had Bama tunes on my 10' GT, too much for a DD. Took it off after 3 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Put my Bama 93 oct hybrid ghost cam tune on at 1k, now at 6500, and absolutely love it. No issues at all.
In fact, I believe I have had the best Bama CS....never had to talk to them!
Troy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolff View Post
I run a Bama 93 race tune on my 2013 GT daily driver with full bolt ons ( LT's, X pipe, Boss intake, Magnaflow axle back ) with no issues. I put a Bama tune on it with 700 miles on the car and over a year and a half later and now with 25,50 miles no issues. My car pulled 450 at the wheels with the Bama tune. I have called and talked to them a couple of times and even data logged once for them and I couldn't be happier. Just my experience.
I'm glad to hear you guys are all really enjoying your Bama tunes. Thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it! Let me know if you ever have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. I'm only a PM away and I'm happy to help!

-Dan

Quote:
How safe it the 93 race tune to run as a daily driver?
The Race tune is perfectly safe to daily drive on. I run my 93 Bama Race tune year round and have never had an issue. The tune is a little more aggressive than a Performance or Street tune so we just recommend that you're conscious of that and you'll be in good shape.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

-Dan
Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I installed a Bama tune with right at 1000 miles on my car. I went back to stock one day just for giggles, I would much rather have the tune.

I do oil sample reports every 6k miles. I've done 2 samples with Blackstone labs, both were great.

I have 11,000 miles now and 10k with the Bama 93H tune, running 93 no eth gas. No issues at all.

I'll fight a warranty issue if it comes up. I'm enjoying my car with the tune in the mean time.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
I put Bama in my 12 auto at right around 2000 miles. A year and a half later and I am so hooked!! Now if I could only hook up... Wheels and tires next mod for sure!!
chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I had a obama tune in a previous mustang and LOVED it!! The car had all the normal bolt ons and the tune made her run like a beast! As soon as I get the money I will be getting one for my current mustang. It has a lot more mods done so a tune should really make a huge noticeable difference! I can't wait!

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Here is a link: Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information

Allot of it has to do with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
It's the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, circa about 1972 or something.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #33
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
I installed a Bama tune with right at 1000 miles on my car. I went back to stock one day just for giggles, I would much rather have the tune.

I do oil sample reports every 6k miles. I've done 2 samples with Blackstone labs, both were great.

I have 11,000 miles now and 10k with the Bama 93H tune, running 93 no eth gas. No issues at all.

I'll fight a warranty issue if it comes up. I'm enjoying my car with the tune in the mean time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chub View Post
I put Bama in my 12 auto at right around 2000 miles. A year and a half later and I am so hooked!! Now if I could only hook up... Wheels and tires next mod for sure!!
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm glad to hear that you guys love your Bama tunes. Let me know if you guys have any questions or ever need some assistance. I'm here to help!

We really appreciate your business and loyalty!

-Dan
Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Hi Dan. Thanks for chiming in. I have a 14' GT. Has anyone reported issues with Microsoft sync after installing a tune? My car would start dialing 911 when I would start it and had to press am/fm button to stop it. After I moved ECM back to stock this issue went away. Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

The tune worked fine and I did not have any issues otherwise. Thanks!
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #35
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
Hi Dan. Thanks for chiming in. I have a 14' GT. Has anyone reported issues with Microsoft sync after installing a tune? My car would start dialing 911 when I would start it and had to press am/fm button to stop it. After I moved ECM back to stock this issue went away. Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

The tune worked fine and I did not have any issues otherwise. Thanks!
This is very odd.. The PCM has absolutely nothing to do with the SYNC system. So there is no way that the tune could effect anything related to your electronics. That is a completely different module. Unfortunately it sounds like this is just coincidental. I would contact Ford and see if they can help you diagnosis what's going on with your SYNC system.

If you have factory Navigation there is a feature that can enable and disable to call 911 in case of an accident if your phone is connected via blue tooth. Maybe there is something glitchy with that feature on your Mustang? That may be a place to start.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry I really can't be more help here, I wish I could! I'm glad to hear you're really enjoying the actual tune, though.

-Dan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion