hybrid tune ??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
hybrid tune ???

What exactly is hybrid tune?

On a 2013-V6-auto, I have BAMA 87-street, 89-performance & 91-race. I don`t race but want quick throttle response, better trans shifts & decent MPG. I have heard of the hybrid tune that I think is a blend of race and performance tune. Could someone expand on it? Are there any negatives?

Thanks..............
Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Impact View Post

On a 2013-V6-auto, I have BAMA 87-street, 89-performance & 91-race. I don`t race but want quick throttle response, better trans shifts & decent MPG. I have heard of the hybrid tune that I think is a blend of race and performance tune. Could someone expand on it? Are there any negatives?

I did a search for "hybrid", here's one of the many threads on the subject:

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t345573/

See post #14 & #15
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Thanks..............
The Hybrid tune is a mix of the Street, Performance and Race tune. You basically get the best qualities from each tune. This tune features the low end grunt of the Street tune, Mid range of the Performance tune and all out top end power of the Race tune. This set up has become very popular over the last few months! I run it on my car and love it. I think you'll really enjoy it!

Let the Bama team know you'd like to try and they'll gladly hook you up!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My hybrid tune is more of a beefy street tune. My race tune is just balls out of control. I found the best shift firmness out of my 93 performance tune. It's shifts aggressive and quick, saving my transmission and gives instant and very precise throttle response. You get your mpg not from the tune but by how LESS you have to use the throttle to get to desired speed.

Stock tune I would shift at 2k rpm. Now it's 1700 with less throttle. Where as before I couldn't even imagine doing this. I average 21 city 35 highway with other supporting mods.

Hybrid tune I got 19 highway and it stays in the 1200 range at all times. Save it for the track IMO
Old 01-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
God I want a tuner bad. lol Damn new car and warranty. I'm too chicken to do it and lose the warranty. I told myself I would wait until 10k miles to make sure the car was ok. lol
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
God I want a tuner bad. lol Damn new car and warranty. I'm too chicken to do it and lose the warranty. I told myself I would wait until 10k miles to make sure the car was ok. lol
I hear ya, but I'm more concerned at the 30K to 34K mileage mark, just before the warranty vaporizes
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
The Hybrid tune is a mix of the Street, Performance and Race tune. You basically get the best qualities from each tune. This tune features the low end grunt of the Street tune, Mid range of the Performance tune and all out top end power of the Race tune. This set up has become very popular over the last few months! I run it on my car and love it. I think you'll really enjoy it!

Let the Bama team know you'd like to try and they'll gladly hook you up!

-Dan

What octane is required with the hybrid tune? Can it be ordered in several different octanes and if so which ones?

Thanks very much and will be contacting Bama for one!!!!!!
Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If I'm not mistaken it can be ordered in any octane rating. The best "performace" would come from the highest grade. For best performance I would select whatever the highest octane rating they sell locally near you, which for me would be 91. So most people would have an 89S, 91H and 91R. S for street, H for hybrid, R for race.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken it can be ordered in any octane rating. The best "performace" would come from the highest grade. For best performance I would select whatever the highest octane rating they sell locally near you, which for me would be 91. So most people would have an 89S, 91H and 91R. S for street, H for hybrid, R for race.

I have 87/93S 89/93 P and a 93R and 93 H. I use nothing but 93 octane to keep the engine clean and to get the most aggressive tune. Higher, the better
Old 01-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I have 87/93S 89/93 P and a 93R and 93 H. I use nothing but 93 octane to keep the engine clean and to get the most aggressive tune. Higher, the better
So you can still run a 93 tune on 91 gas? No place near me sells 93. If I had a tuner, and was going to travel long distance I would probably run an 87/89 tune just in case you hit a crap gas station. I would be worried about running a 93 tune, then finding out you can only get 87/89 gas.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you can still run a 93 tune on 91 gas? No place near me sells 93. If I had a tuner, and was going to travel long distance I would probably run an 87/89 tune just in case you hit a crap gas station. I would be worried about running a 93 tune, then finding out you can only get 87/89 gas.

Don't run 93 octane tune and put 91. It'll run very lean. You can however run 93 octane gas on a 91 octane tune. It may be a tad rich but rich is far better than lean.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I figured. Get the race tune to the highest octane rating locally available.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

What is the difference between Street and Performance. Race is kinda...obvious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BlackSmoke02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
So what's faster? Hybrid or race?
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
What octane is required with the hybrid tune? Can it be ordered in several different octanes and if so which ones?

Thanks very much and will be contacting Bama for one!!!!!!
The Hybrid tune is offered in 91 or 93 Octane. Basically whatever octane is required for the Race tune, the same rules apply. I think you're really going to enjoy the Hybrid tune. Let me know how it goes when you give it a try! I look forward to your feedback.

-Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSmoke02 View Post
What is the difference between Street and Performance. Race is kinda...obvious.
The Street tune is designed for daily driving. It will produce the most low end torque for city driving etc.. but it lacks the mid-top range area. We don't focus on the high RPM's with the Street tune because if you're daily driving your Mustang you shouldn't be in the upper RPM's.

The Performance tune is closer to the race tune. It features the most aggressive Mid-Range and is designed for the person who has a little more spirited driving habits.

Then obviously the Race tune is designed for the track and will give you the best performance up top. This is where the Mustangs really shine so the Race tune will allow you to make the most of your Mustang.

Hope this helps!

-Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna1994 View Post
So what's faster? Hybrid or race?
This is a tough decision! I'm not actually sure. The Hybrid tune definitely has a little more low end grunt and keeps the same performance up top as the Race tune. So I'd assume the Hybrid tune may be a tad bit quicker. I've never actually compared them back to back at the track, though! This is definitely some testing that we'll be doing at the track this year.

-Dan
Old 01-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
The Hybrid tune is offered in 91 or 93 Octane. Basically whatever octane is required for the Race tune, the same rules apply. I think you're really going to enjoy the Hybrid tune. Let me know how it goes when you give it a try! I look forward to your feedback.

-Dan

The Street tune is designed for daily driving. It will produce the most low end torque for city driving etc.. but it lacks the mid-top range area. We don't focus on the high RPM's with the Street tune because if you're daily driving your Mustang you shouldn't be in the upper RPM's.

The Performance tune is closer to the race tune. It features the most aggressive Mid-Range and is designed for the person who has a little more spirited driving habits.

Then obviously the Race tune is designed for the track and will give you the best performance up top. This is where the Mustangs really shine so the Race tune will allow you to make the most of your Mustang.

Hope this helps!

-Dan

This is a tough decision! I'm not actually sure. The Hybrid tune definitely has a little more low end grunt and keeps the same performance up top as the Race tune. So I'd assume the Hybrid tune may be a tad bit quicker. I've never actually compared them back to back at the track, though! This is definitely some testing that we'll be doing at the track this year.
After you do some runs let us kno what u guys are finding
-Dan
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

So from the looks of this, I should order a Hybrid tune to replace my race tune?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So from the looks of this, I should order a Hybrid tune to replace my race tune?

I would. You have 10 spots on those SCT tuners, might as well fill them up. Lol
Old 01-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
You don't have to replace your Race tune. The SCT devices can hold 10 tunes. Just give the Bama team a call and we can send you the Hybrid tune for your specific modifications!

-Dan
Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
You don't have to replace your Race tune. The SCT devices can hold 10 tunes. Just give the Bama team a call and we can send you the Hybrid tune for your specific modifications!

-Dan

Is that all SCT devices cause I have the SCT x3 and I'm pretty sure it only holds 3 tunes
Depack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depack21 View Post
Is that all SCT devices cause I have the SCT x3 and I'm pretty sure it only holds 3 tunes
You can go to SCT's website and update the tuner to hold more tunes.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #22
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depack21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
You can go to SCT's website and update the tuner to hold more tunes.
^ Grabber Blue is correct. You can go to the SCT website and update your device. SCT came out with a firmware update that allows for SF3's to store 10 tunes, instead of 3.

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Old 03-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just downloaded the 93 Hybrid into my tuner. I'm running the 89 Performance right now and after this tank, I'll fill up twice with 93 and transfer the 93 Hybrid to my car.

Bama, and AM, give you a fassst turnaround (2-days has been my max) when the tune is ordered.

I have been very pleased with the service and tunes I've received. Same with AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
I just downloaded the 93 Hybrid into my tuner. I'm running the 89 Performance right now and after this tank, I'll fill up twice with 93 and transfer the 93 Hybrid to my car.

Bama, and AM, give you a fassst turnaround (2-days has been my max) when the tune is ordered.

I have been very pleased with the service and tunes I've received. Same with AM.

Let us know what extra you feel. I always run the race tune but have noticed that the low end seems like stock ish. The top end screams like you would expect it to. About 3k rpms it really starts scurrying. Below that I am waiting for it to start scurrying lol... Would really like the hybrid if it's better

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I was wondering this, I ALWAYS use 93 in all my performance cars ALWAYS. I have never had a tuner in my life, and yes it makes me sad.lol Anyway for me when I get my tuner should I order all my tunes 93? Like 93street, 93 hybrid and 93 race? I know it is perfectly fine but I just cant bring myself to put 87 in my car.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I was wondering after tuning the car with hybrid does it need a few days for everything to settle in and catch the flow so it runs exactly how it should with the tune or is it up and ready the moment I tune it?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I received my Sct yesterday and loaded my tunes on my 2014 v6 that is only at 10k miles lol (for all you guys not wanting to void warranty lol your crazy!) first time ever using a tune on a car and have used the 93 race and street... What I noticed was super firm shifts and a lot more hp and tq could be felt when taking off.. The race set up was kicking hard lol it went Into gear so firmly the car leaps forward.. Pretty awesome.. I'm going to try the performance tune right now let's see how this goes
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
I received my Sct yesterday and loaded my tunes on my 2014 v6 that is only at 10k miles lol (for all you guys not wanting to void warranty lol your crazy!) first time ever using a tune on a car and have used the 93 race and street... What I noticed was super firm shifts and a lot more hp and tq could be felt when taking off.. The race set up was kicking hard lol it went Into gear so firmly the car leaps forward.. Pretty awesome.. I'm going to try the performance tune right now let's see how this goes

So far my fav is my 93 street tune
Old 05-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I have been running the 93 Hybrid Tune since the end of March. It's great. Take offs will throw you back in your seat, the throttle sound is super, and I get 34-35 MPG on the highway.

I recently installed a relay to replace the Fuse 47 problem. I would recommend the Hybrid.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have been running the 93 Hybrid Tune since the end of March. It's great. Take offs will throw you back in your seat, the throttle sound is super, and I get 34-35 MPG on the highway.

I recently installed a relay to replace the Fuse 47 problem. I would recommend the Hybrid.

When I ordered my tuner, bama only let me get 3 tunes at a time even with the 10 slot tuner.. I was a little upset because instead of taking care of everything at once I now need to get back in contact with them and request the tune and wait yet again.. I got the 93 s/p/r and I also wanted the hybrid 93 and at least one 87 tune incase I can not find 93 octane when I travel.. Besides this the bama team was very helpful.. I am really excited for the hybrid tune.. Just waiting yet again tho lol

I was wondering if someone could clear this up for me..

Street = more power in lower RPM's?
Performance = more power in mid RPM's?
Race= more power in higher RPM's?
Hybrid= mixture of power in low and high RPM's?
And last question is there a tune for fuel economy?
Old 05-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I ordered my tuner, bama only let me get 3 tunes at a time even with the 10 slot tuner.. I was a little upset because instead of taking care of everything at once I now need to get back in contact with them and request the tune and wait yet again.. I got the 93 s/p/r and I also wanted the hybrid 93 and at least one 87 tune incase I can not find 93 octane when I travel.. Besides this the bama team was very helpful.. I am really excited for the hybrid tune.. Just waiting yet again tho lol

I was wondering if someone could clear this up for me..
You're going to get lifetime tunes to cover any mods you make to your car. Three tunes are plenty to start with until you really know what you want. I don't believe that all 93 tunes was a good first-choice.

I have never waited more than 24 hours for a new tune from Bama. I call that great service.

Have you actually ordered your additional tunes before complaining? (How long have you been waiting?) If not, just do it. More than likely, you'll get the new tunes on the same day.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're going to get lifetime tunes to cover any mods you make to your car. Three tunes are plenty to start with until you really know what you want. I don't believe that all 93 tunes was a good first-choice.

I have never waited more than 24 hours for a new tune from Bama. I call that great service.

Have you actually ordered your additional tunes before complaining? (How long have you been waiting?) If not, just do it. More than likely, you'll get the new tunes on the same day.

I only fuel up with 93 octane so that's why I requested all my tunes for 93 and I don't plan on going lower.. Which is why I requested the 93 tunes.. I actually asked for 93 r/s/hybrid but the bama rep sent me the 93 r/s/p.. And said he could only process three for me.. That's what I got bummed about not bamas service.. On the contrary I love AM and Bama it's just that I work off a very busy schedule throughout the week... + Saturdays.. And I knew what I wanted (thanks to these awesome forums) but didn't get it so I have to submit an order but I do believe Bama closes today early.. So ima have to wait.. And my post was more based on informational then complaining, if it came off that way my apologies.. I am a bank manager.. Complaints is all I deal with
Old 05-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #33
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
I only fuel up with 93 octane so that's why I requested all my tunes for 93 and I don't plan on going lower.. Which is why I requested the 93 tunes.. I actually asked for 93 r/s/hybrid but the bama rep sent me the 93 r/s/p.. And said he could only process three for me.. That's what I got bummed about not bamas service.. On the contrary I love AM and Bama it's just that I work off a very busy schedule throughout the week... + Saturdays.. And I knew what I wanted (thanks to these awesome forums) but didn't get it so I have to submit an order but I do believe Bama closes today early.. So ima have to wait.. And my post was more based on informational then complaining, if it came off that way my apologies.. I am a bank manager.. Complaints is all I deal with
Don't ever take the Mustang on a road trip then. Not every state has 93 octane. I found that out first hand when I drove Florida to Washington back in August. Also, Bama is phasing out the hybrid tune because they are now incorporating it into all of their other tunes.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

2.73?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Don't ever take the Mustang on a road trip then. Not every state has 93 octane. I found that out first hand when I drove Florida to Washington back in August. Also, Bama is phasing out the hybrid tune because they are now incorporating it into all of their other tunes.
I totally agree. For this exact reason I only run 91 Octane tunes. Every state I have seen always carry at least 91 or higher. I can't imagine a 93 Hybrid tune gets far more HP and torque over a 91 Hybrid tune. I always try too fill up with 93 octane being that I use all 91 octane tunes but not all gas stations carry 93 octane.

At least have a 91 octane tune loaded up in the tuner and carry the Sct tuner with one in case one needs to upload a lower octane tune.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion