Do I need a tune for CAI? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Do I need a tune for CAI?

Hey all,
I am going to buy a Steeda tune. My first question: where do I find the numbers on the computer to give them?
Second question: Will a CAI benefit from the tune or should I just leave well enough alone and not get the CAI?
Thanks
Randy
randyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm not sure on the numbers but if your getting a steeda cai as well it requires a tune. Some don't but it benefits you little without the tune other than making the engine sound more prominent.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyg View Post
Hey all,
I am going to buy a Steeda tune. My first question: where do I find the numbers on the computer to give them?
Second question: Will a CAI benefit from the tune or should I just leave well enough alone and not get the CAI?
Thanks
Randy
A Steeda Tune will ROCK with a Steeda CAI. It is the only CAI [that I am aware of] that requires a tune for the V6 because it flows more air. Other than that, the Stock Air box flows as much as the other CAIs, just doesn't make the fun noise. Also you can get a high flow AFE blue permanente filter for your stock airbox if you wish.

Standing by the passenger side look at your computer just past the white water bottle with the yellow cap. You will see bar codes and numbers on it. There will be a number at the bottom that is like 4 letters/number long then the long bar code. The ~4 characters is the Strategy code for your computer. As an example mine in stickered from the factory at LLH3
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Thank you for the quick reply. I guess what Im asking is will I see any noticeable gains, not counting noise with the CAI. They offer a package on both the CAI and tune. I already have 4.10 to install.
Thanks
Randy
randyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You will pretty good gains just don't expect to be blown back into your seat

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyg View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. I guess what Im asking is will I see any noticeable gains, not counting noise with the CAI. They offer a package on both the CAI and tune. I already have 4.10 to install.
Thanks
Randy
I noticed better gains with the Steeda CAI over stock airbox with AFE high flow filter. I feel it was money well spent and also looks good under the hood.

Edit: Need to comment here that that effect was not due to just a tune. I had tunes before the Steeda CAI. But when the Steeda CAI was added and required modification to the tune, then it was the very noticable difference in the equation.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I noticed better gains with the Steeda CAI over stock airbox with AFE high flow filter. I feel it was money well spent and also looks good under the hood.

Edit: Need to comment here that that effect was not due to just a tune. I had tunes before the Steeda CAI. But when the Steeda CAI was added and required modification to the tune, then it was the very noticable difference in the equation.
Awesome! Just got my Steeda tune today and the Steeda CAI has been on my list for a while. Can't wait to pick it up.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #8
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Skip the CAI. Its a waste on these cars. The tune is where its all at.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 AM   #9
blu
Registered Member
Regular

Get the CAI and the tune. But to finish the potential of this particular bolt on mod in hp, do exhaust next, and put an x pipe on with some free flowing axle backs.

"Quick like a Snake, light like a Fox. This remains the goal."

blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I would agree with that on all except the Steeda.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I got the arh long tube headers with a airaid can and a throttle body spacer with borla atak I'm really impressed with the results

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
blackbeauty 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
What DDTCM says. Do some homework. Ford really did some great engineering on the stock air boxes. Hard to beat them. A tune wakes it up.

Other than cosmetics and the sound you get from a CAI, they really will not flow any more air significantly than the stocker.

And if you want the sound/roar that the CAI provides when you stomp the drive by wire pedal, then cut off the square muffler off the tube and fiberglass the hole. Now you have the same benefits of a CAI.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I will add a post script to that. I knew what Bucko says is true and that the stock airbox was better than the CAI, being it is a ram-air feed cold box from the factory. I did research and that was the story.

I got a tune first on the stock airbox and that was great. I added the Steeda CAI after the stock airbox tune and guess what, it did have gains. Talk to "Rod" at Steeda if you need info.

Edit: that's the reason its the only one that "requires" a tune to use because yes the MAF area in the Steeda tube is larger

PPS: Yes after that part of the tube, some say it forces the air into a smaller Throttle Body. But It has improved MID Torque (2.5-3.8 rpm) in my ride on several test runs. the only sensor unfortunately has been my *** in my seat , sorry

Last: The Steeda CAI also is one that gets feed also from the "grill ram air" feed that the stock airbox gets air from. It has the "grill feed" on a connector on the bottom the same as the stock box does.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Steeda's cold air intake for the 11'-14's seem to really be impressive. I believe it's the best on the market with no competition. Just read Steeda's blog and it may change your mind if you have any doubts.

Gains or no gains from it though, I'd still like to have it on my ride. It's a great look and I've really come to admire Steeda as a company and the parts they sell. However, I'll probably be getting headers first, as the stock cold air induction is nothing to complain about either.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:14 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Was the "bang for the buck" worth the $389.95 over keeping the stock air box?

I'll agree with the stats and dyno sheet results that with a tune, the steeda air box provides the best gain over other CAI's...but how much more over a stock air box and the same tune? Does anyone here have a stock air box and tune, and steeda CAI and (same) tune dyno results they can share?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
cai