Ripped off by muffler shop??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ripped off by muffler shop???

When I bought my 2005 GT the previous owner had cut the exhaust off, so it was just the H pipe. I had to smog the car so I went to my local muffler shop and they installed some exhaust and I passed smog. They charged me around $600 for the exhaust and they informed me that I now had Magnaflow Magnapack axle back exhaust. Recently I was able to get under my car and I found out that I actually have Flowmaster exhaust. It's the quietest exhaust I've ever heard, and it's pretty annoying, and I have no clue what kind of exhaust it is. Did I get ripped off? Does anyone know what kind of exhaust it actually is? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1391058220.445965.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	727.9 KB
ID:	146445
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1391058170.416766.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	585.3 KB
ID:	146443  
NFloris_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1391059207.008393.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	566.6 KB
ID:	146454
Old 01-30-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If it was just an H pipe then you could have bought a full Catback for less than that..... Yes you got ripped off.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
If it was just an H pipe then you could have bought a full Catback for less than that..... Yes you got ripped off.

Who even dumps after the cats unless they must really like cabin-exhaust that sounds like poop
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

My H pipe was there when I got the car, all that they put on the car was the flow master mufflers in the pic I posted, everything else was there except those.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFloris_05 View Post
My H pipe was there when I got the car, all that they put on the car was the flow master mufflers in the pic I posted, everything else was there except those.
I understand that, my comment was directed towards the previous owner.

If the previous owner cut the pipes off at the h-pipe, then that means the shop not only installed axle-backs, but OTA (over the axle) pipes as well.

For $600, you could of got some nice loud Borlas or Flowmasters and probably the OEM OTA pipes. Got ripped off big time man.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post

If the previous owner cut the pipes off at the h-pipe, then that means the shop not only install axle-backs, but OTA (over the axle) pipes as well.

For $600, you could of got some nice loud Borlas or Flowmasters and probably the OEM OTA pipes. Got ripped off big time man.

The over the axle part was there as well, I drove the car without exhaust in place and had no cabin smell at all. I should get a better pic of it, you can clearly see where the old exhaust was cut by the previous owner and the new one was welded on. It was cut off right after the gas tank, and was pointed at the back edge of the gas tank which is stupidly dangerous lol. But I typed in the patent # into google and it came back as super 44 series axle backs, which run at $80-$90 bucks... Pretty pissed right now, especially since the price I was charged my car sounds like complete and total ***, I get out revved by my friends Mini Cooper.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, so I'd call that a cheap "muffler delete" what the previous owner did. Wow, so they really did just slap some axle-backs on there and call it a $600 bill. I got my Borla Stinger axle-backs for $420 on eBay and I think they retail for $500+ or so from AmericanMuscle. I'd be enraged if I was you.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If the previous owner cut the pipes off at the h-pipe, then that means the shop not only install axle-backs, but OTA (over the axle) pipes as well.

The over the axle part was there as well, I drove the car without exhaust in place and had no cabin smell at all. I should get a better pic of it, you can clearly see where the old exhaust was cut by the previous owner and the new one was welded on. It was cut off right after the gas tank, and was pointed at the back edge of the gas tank which is stupidly dangerous lol. But I typed in the patent # into google and it came back as super 44 series axle backs, which run at $80-$90 bucks... Pretty pissed right now, especially since the price I was charged my car sounds like complete and total ***, I get out revved by my friends Mini Cooper.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:53 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmm, so I'd call that a cheap "muffler delete" what the previous owner did. Wow, so they really did just slap some axle-backs on there and call it a $600 bill. I got my Borla Stinger axle-backs for $420 on eBay and I think they retail for $500+ or so from AmericanMuscle. I'd be enraged if I was you.

Sorry, my phone sent that last message twice, lol. And yeah, now I'm pretty mad. I could've done so much with $600. At first I was ok with it, magnapacks are pretty good mufflers, and they retailed for about $600 so I thought it was fair. Now I know I have ****ty exhaust, and I'm down $500.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry, my phone sent that last message twice, lol. And yeah, now I'm pretty mad. I could've done so much with $600. At first I was ok with it, magnapacks are pretty good mufflers, and they retailed for about $600 so I thought it was fair. Now I know I have ****ty exhaust, and I'm down $500.
Well, if it makes you feel better, I paid around $800 total for dual exhaust conversion (Ford Racing + shop install fee) on my old V6, then upgraded to my Borlas which were another $420. No regrets though, Ford Racing quality parts and Borla amazing sound.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:00 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
You aren't down a dime if they lied to you. Please tell me you have a receipt where they show the Magnaflows being charged to you. I'd be interested seeing how they came up with a $600 bill when an axle back takes 1 hour to install if they don't know what they're doing.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
You aren't down a dime if they lied to you. Please tell me you have a receipt where they show the Magnaflows being charged to you. I'd be interested seeing how they came up with a $600 bill when an axle back takes 1 hour to install if they don't know what they're doing.

I have it around here somewhere, but my bill came out somewhere around $600 more or less, but it was definitely a lot more than the cost for a set of super 44s.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know how it went down with the OP and his muffler shop, but a deal is a deal sometimes. Now maybe they'd be willing to buy back the mufflers for $200 or so, they'd still be making money and it would put you forward a little.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Did they weld it in or use factory clamps?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did they weld it in or use factory clamps?

Welded them on.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure the shop could just cut them right off no problem.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:12 AM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Pull your paperwork and if it say magnaflow then take it back and confront them.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know how it went down with the OP and his muffler shop, but a deal is a deal sometimes. Now maybe they'd be willing to buy back the mufflers for $200 or so, they'd still be making money and it would put you forward a little.
If they charged him for Magnapacks and gave him $40 Flowmasters, I'd be back there raising all kinds of hell.

Quote:
Welded them on.
Ouch. That's where the price goes up probably. Welding isn't cheap as far as labor costs go. They probably had to hack off the factory flange on the over-axle pipes because the Flowmaster pipe didn't have one to match. They probably got you for 2-3 hours of labor plus an hour of welding.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:20 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Pull your paperwork and if it say magnaflow then take it back and confront them.

I got them welded on back in August of 2013, and I never looked at it until about a week and a half ago, and found out they weren't magnapacks cause I'm stupid. Would it still be too late to confront them? I'm gonna go fishing for it tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:20 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

For 2 Flowmaster mufflers like that to be welded on it should have cost you around $75 per muffler then $45 each to install. And that's a high estimate.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:21 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm sure the shop could just cut them right off no problem.

If they replaced it with some piping (muffler deletes), I wouldn't be too mad. I was gonna get some anyway, I like the sound. My current flows sound like a Prius mustang.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Oops, I really need to go to bed. Yeah if they said Magnaflows and you got Flowmasters that's lame. 8 months later though? It's worth a shot, ha.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:24 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oops, I really need to go to bed. Yeah if they said Magnaflows and you got Flowmasters that's lame. 8 months later though? It's worth a shot, ha.

The sound of my car sounded very similar to the sound clip of the magnapacks on American Muscle, so I was like "oh well, it is what it is".
Old 01-30-2014, 02:58 AM   #25
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
I got them welded on back in August of 2013, and I never looked at it until about a week and a half ago, and found out they weren't magnapacks cause I'm stupid. Would it still be too late to confront them? I'm gonna go fishing for it tomorrow.

Only one way to find out.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #26
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Ouch. That's where the price goes up probably. Welding isn't cheap as far as labor costs go. They probably had to hack off the factory flange on the over-axle pipes because the Flowmaster pipe didn't have one to match. They probably got you for 2-3 hours of labor plus an hour of welding.
OP said the exhaust was already cut, so all the shop should have had to do was weld the mufflers in place. Possibly use a small length of pipe to get them lined up in the rear bumper, but that should be it.

I had a shop weld glasspacks in for about $120. That includes cutting the stock pipes, welding, and supplying the glasspacks. Only took them about an hour at the very most.

If I were the OP. I would definitely find that work order receipt, and if it says he was charged for Magnaflows, bring it to the shop's attention. If they honor their work, they should either refund him the difference in cost of the mufflers or install the ones they charged him for. Seeing as how he's unhappy with the sound of the Flowmasters, I would push for the Magnaflows to be installed.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Not to hijack this thread, but I also got ripped off on an exhaust, the dealer charged $180 for an Axleback install!

Then after driving about a week, the right exhaust tip was moving towards the bumper, so I had to crawl under the GT and turn the over axle pipe clamp to align the exhaust tip back.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but I also got ripped off on an exhaust, the dealer charged $180 for an Axleback install!

Then after driving about a week, the right exhaust tip was moving towards the bumper, so I had to crawl under the GT and turn the over axle pipe clamp to align the exhaust tip back.

Everyone told you to do it yourself.
Also you never posted the exhaust clip

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
You only get ripped off if you pay those prices.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHorsey View Post
Everyone told you to do it yourself.
Also you never posted the exhaust clip

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®

I know that, and would have if my parents weren't so insistent on having the dealer install it.

I've already said, I can't get the clip to upload.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
There is no way those are super 44 if the car is quiet. Those are some of the most aggressive mufflers flowmasters makes. Its what I put on all my cars and always get tickets for. I've beat all the tickets but that's not my point.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTstanger View Post
There is no way those are super 44 if the car is quiet. Those are some of the most aggressive mufflers flowmasters makes. Its what I put on all my cars and always get tickets for. I've beat all the tickets but that's not my point.
I was questioning that as well.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Look at the ends of the muffler for a part number. The patent number can cover several different mufflers. You need the actual part number.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post

Just asking why you didn't have the dealer re-align it for you while you eat their free food and drink waiting? I sometimes pay extra for dealer work, because I want them to fix issues later on that might crop up.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

They are about 40 minutes away, and it didn't happen until a week or 2 after. It was just easier to do it myself, and we are still pissed off about the price of the install, so we won't go back except to have multiple parts installed at once(and make sure it's a fair price) and for the free services to the car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion