Washing your engine bay - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Washing your engine bay

I usually just wipe as much as I can down with a rag to keep the dust and dirt off...
I washed my engine in my V6 when I had it and went to start it and all I heard was click click click hahahha so kinda scared to try that again!... I even covered the battery and alternator..

tips and tricks?
KraftDinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Detailers use air compressors with blow gun tips to get dirt off the engine and parts first before using any wet rags. I used that trick to get Kansas Brown and Texas Red dirt out of my truck engine bay and truck bed.

If you keep the bay clean since the day you bought it new, its not much trouble to clean unless you take the 'Stang places that trucks should be going to instead.

If the engine is older with grease/oil you need to cover area up with baggies that don't like water. Keep water out of electronics. Use a non-corrosive cleaner spray and use lower pressure water spray if you can. Let the engine dry or blow dry it before trying to start it.

Then of course there were the 70s and 80s when user car dealers steam cleaned motors. Probably still happening today as well.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I would say for the factory new look the best results come from steam cleaning. It really cleans it up and makes it look good, like the day it rolled off the showroom floor.
Unrivaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
well I take my car to the river all the time in the summer so I am driving down dusty and sandy roads and I drive it year round so road grime gets in there but overall its pretty clean compared to most cars its age. just wanted to know if when I do go to the car wash if I could pray it down. never did seem like a good idea but would be nice to have it shine .. Hmmmm I do have a hand held steam cleaner I use for clothes, would that hurt any electrical though?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	go.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	702.2 KB
ID:	146758  
KraftDinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I usually just spray my engine bay down with some degreaser, and then just rinse it off with a hose. Seeing as I don't have access to a steam cleaner. I would just avoid using high pressure, and cover the alternator when cleaning.
Unrivaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftDinner View Post
well I take my car to the river all the time in the summer so I am driving down dusty and sandy roads and I drive it year round so road grime gets in there but overall its pretty clean compared to most cars its age. just wanted to know if when I do go to the car wash if I could pray it down. never did seem like a good idea but would be nice to have it shine .. Hmmmm I do have a hand held steam cleaner I use for clothes, would that hurt any electrical though?

You should just buy a new car each trip.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
You should just buy a new car each trip.
+1 Yep, best advice yet

Doesn't the sawdust guy at your shop have a steam cleaner for the used cars?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I haven't done the pressure washing of my Mustang's engine bay yet Because I don't have an air compressor to blow water that gets by spark plugs. I do have an 02 Ranger that I pressure wash all the time with no issues at all. I've done this to just about every vehicle I've ever owned and never had any isses at all. I didn't cover anything up either.
rangerbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
On the real... Don't put any kind of pressure or volume behind spraying anywhere near the COPs or injectors(not so much injectors)... I don't know if it was related but a few weeks after I washed my engine bay with water and such I blew a spark plug and had two COPs fry as well as a couple other electrical issues. They weren't too expensive to fix and I didn't do much other than wipe down the engine bay after that and didn't have any problems until I ran lean going over 140mph and the engine let go. Haha...

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I let the car warm up for about 5 minutes and then spray the whole engine bay down with degreaser, then I rinse it with the hose. Once it's rinsed I blow off all the water so it's dry and spray the whole bay down with turtle wax f21 tire shine, makes it look brand new. Sometimes I leave the car running the whole time sometimes I don't.
ccabral14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion