Ok so I need advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so I need advice

I found this 99 cobra it has 130000 miles and the guy wants $3000 what should I look for on it when I check It out and should I check on the recalls before I decide to buy it or not?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would search it to see if it has been totaled at some point. Crawl under each end and see if the impact obsorbers are still intact. Check the undercarriage where you'd jack it up front and rear and see if it has clamp marks where its been on a frame rack. Pop the hood and look at the core support for damage. Cracked paint is a good sign. Also check the strut towers for the same thing. You can open the doors and look at the hinge bolts to see if they are lined up. Little stuff like that to see if its been in a wreck.

Tell the guy you want the engine completely cold when you get there. Before you drive it check all the fluids. I would even pull the oil filter to check for metal shavings. Once all that checks out you can start it. A cold start will give you the most signs of something wrong as there isn't much oil in the top of the motor. You should be able to hear anything that may not be rite with it. Then test drive the sh*t out of it. Drive it like you will when you own it to see if she tells you anything. I do all this when I look at a new to me car. I want to make sure I know what iI'm getting. I would think for 3k there is something you need to find.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea that's what I was thinking and thank you I'll def check all that thank you I appreciate that allot I'll keep you updated on it.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM84 View Post
Yea that's what I was thinking and thank you I'll def check all that thank you I appreciate that allot I'll keep you updated on it.

No problem man. Hope it turns out for you. That would be an awesome buy.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea and it would be a huge upgrade from my 3.8 that I have lol

Old 02-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
A 99 Cobra for $3K?? I would be EXTREMELY skeptical of a car like that... those cars usually don't sell for so low even with those miles
Old 02-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
A 99 Cobra for $3K?? I would be EXTREMELY skeptical of a car like that... those cars usually don't sell for so low even with those miles
This is what I was getting at. Aldo I would check the vin number with the title and make sure they match. Run the number to make sure its a true cobra unless someone can chin in with a way to tell just by looking at the vin.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
who cares its 3k. I piss 3k buy it and build it

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

post the listing and pics. lets all seeee
Old 02-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftDinner View Post
who cares its 3k. I piss 3k buy it and build it

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

post the listing and pics. lets all seeee
Well this isn't using any common sense what so ever! If it is a true Cobra for 3 grand and needs a motor or trans or has been totaled, then yeah, he should care. If he didn't care he wouldn't ask questions to begin with.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Road Trip!

its 3000 unless the bodys scrap then buy it.
Most people rebuild and build up there car anyways. Think of how many parts and upgrades your going to do to it... really doesn't matter if it needs a new exhaust or the shocks are shot or the rims are banged up and the tires are bald. doesn't matter if it needs a tune up or ... see what im saying.. buy the cobra for 3k... when everyone else pays 10k or more... that gives u 7k to play with. where all these other fools pay 10-12 or more and sink another 5-10 into it. buying a clapped out car for cheap is better then buyin a stock one for lots
Old 02-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I checked the blue book and the low on that car is like 9 grand so I figured I would ask and get some thoughts on it. I haven't had a chance to go look yet won't be able to till the end of the week. But I figured what the hell might as well just look at it there is no obligation to buy so there is no harm.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Lol and I don't piss 3k if I did I would be buying a 2015 cobra lol

Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Most people rebuild and build up there car anyways. Think of how many parts and upgrades your going to do to it... really doesn't matter if it needs a new exhaust or the shocks are shot or the rims are banged up and the tires are bald. doesn't matter if it needs a tune up or ... see what im saying.. buy the cobra for 3k... when everyone else pays 10k or more... that gives u 7k to play with. where all these other fools pay 10-12 or more and sink another 5-10 into it. buying a clapped out car for cheap is better then buyin a stock one for lots
Yeah or its a guy selling a GT as a cobra and he hopes no one notices. I can see your a pretty gullable customer/buyer. No one is going to sell a true Cobra for 3k if it doesn't have some serious issues. A tune up or bald tires doesn't classify as a serious issue.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol and I don't piss 3k if I did I would be buying a 2015 cobra lol

Lmao...rite!! I wouldn't buy a 15 but I'd have my car decked out the way I want with the very expensive wheels that I want...lol

Old 02-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I would buy a type r I luv that stang.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #16
Road Trip!

be pretty stupid to buy a GT and think its a cobra but okay. some of us have jobs 89 so 3k isn't even a pay check. and to get a cobra for that is worth it if it runs decent and the bodys in good shape
Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I know I'm kinda thinking it's a clone which I don't care if it is I want a gt anyway and I'm having a ***** of a time finding one in a stick so If all is good with it I'll still at least get my v8

Old 02-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #18
Road Trip!

just look at the ownership if your that clueless.
but ok even a GT for 3k ... as long as the body is in good shape because that's what really kills you. expensive to do body work and paint...
and the engine seems to run well and you take it for a drive and seems to shift good then buy it... look on this site. most people are replacing almost everything anyways and for 3k your not in a big hole... every new part is a good part
Old 02-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Lol never said I was clueless the original question was what should I check not how to verify what it is

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

And I have a job to I'm using my taxes to upgrade so that's why I'm getting some info from people who know more than I do

Old 02-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
be pretty stupid to buy a GT and think its a cobra but okay. some of us have jobs 89 so 3k isn't even a pay check. and to get a cobra for that is worth it if it runs decent and the bodys in good shape
Haha... if only your personality matched your looks...lol. I dont have a job because I haven't had a car. But I did graduate college as salutatorian and now that I do have a car I can get one. Not that its any of your business if I have a job or not. I see you think your better than others though. But when you said you worked at a car lot where they put saw dust in a rear end and you didn't report them then that shows me what kind of person you are and associate with.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I know I'm kinda thinking it's a clone which I don't care if it is I want a gt anyway and I'm having a ***** of a time finding one in a stick so If all is good with it I'll still at least get my v8

That's my thoughts also, that its a GT. But 3k is a good price for a GT. That would make much more sense. Still real cheap also. Crazy that your having a hard time finding a stick V8 tho. Here in TN I can find them all over the place. Its actually the auto that seems to be the rarer of the 2...lol.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Go over the car with a fine tooth comb, OP. A cobra for that price and those miles doesn't add up for me. There is a 99% chance there will be something wrong with it. Your job, is to simply find out what that problem is. My bet would be it was in a wreck. But still, 3 grand for a previously wrecked cobra is a good deal. (If you're planning on keeping the car for awhile.) check the frame, check the door alignment, and check to see if any body panels are slightly off. Truthfully, if it's a real cobra with a decent body, you can drop a new drivetrain in it, with suspension work, and still come out to the same price as a non-wrecked decent mileage cobra. Good luck with the buy OP.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #23
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
That's the thing. Someone selling a Cobra for 3k sends up a lot of red flags to me. Makes me think there IS body damage and/or the motor ISN'T in good condition. And 3k is more than a paycheck for a lot of people, you just seem to be ignorant to that fact. I have yet to see you post any good information on the forums unless count teaching a guy how to have a DVD play WHILE HE'S DRIVING.

Sorry for the rant OP, but I'm tired of seeing bad information and trolling from a forum user.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
That's the thing. Someone selling a Cobra for 3k sends up a lot of red flags to me. Makes me think there IS body damage and/or the motor ISN'T in good condition. And 3k is more than a paycheck for a lot of people, you just seem to be ignorant to that fact. I have yet to see you post any good information on the forums unless count teaching a guy how to have a DVD play WHILE HE'S DRIVING.

Sorry for the rant OP, but I'm tired of seeing bad information and trolling from a forum user.
Man I couldn't agree more! Glad I'm not the only one seeing this.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:

People don't buy dd's to rebuild them completely right away lol

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
Old 02-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Lol omg this is the best thing ever to read lol I'm laughing my *** off. I luv how a simple question can attract jackasses lol

Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Trollin' is a full time job for some people.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Lol yea, when l get a chance I'll post pics of the car I just got some

Old 02-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Trollin' is a full time job for some people.
It must pay well if she can piss away 3k. That's more than most people make in a month...

Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol yea, when l get a chance I'll post pics of the car I just got some

Ask him for the vin so we can find out what your work in with.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Sorry I couldn't help with the car btw lol

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
Old 02-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Ok will do.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTstanger View Post
It must pay well if she can piss away 3k. That's more than most people make in a month...

Man, if i made 3 grand a month, I'd be sporting something nicer than a new edge GT. I need to switch professions. And to the OP; will this car be your daily driver?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Right lol

Old 02-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

If I made 3k a month I would keep the car I have. But the tools I need and paint it. Then I'd build the 427 stroker I want for it and buy my CCW wheels. Oh...and send my TKO 600 trans to be face plated. I am not interested in a new car at all...lol

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion