Might only get ONE key with the car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Might only get ONE key with the car

Tomorrow, I am picking up the '98 6 cyl Coupe I bought for my son. The seller called and says he's not able to find the second key, and might have to deliver the car with ONE key only until he finds the second one. How much of a hassle is it getting a dupe key made up- being there's a resistor/chip in the key- and do they have to be made at Ford, and what do these keys cost? I'll find out soon enough if he finds the spare key, but I figured I'd get my post count up and at the same time learn something also.
cor66vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Home Depot can make a duplicate as long as you bring in the original.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Home Depot can make a duplicate as long as you bring in the original.
Thanks for the reply. No worries about the chip in the key? I thought it was such a big deal with the PATS System.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cor66vette View Post
Thanks for the reply. No worries about the chip in the key? I thought it was such a big deal with the PATS System.

It is actually. You need 2 keys to be able to program it yourself, so you're gonna have to ask the dealer to get you another one. Then, once you have 2 keys, you can have any place that dupes keys make you one and you can activate it yourself. I'm pretty sure someone posted the directions on how to do that.
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasflorez View Post
It is actually. You need 2 keys to be able to program it yourself, so you're gonna have to ask the dealer to get you another one. Then, once you have 2 keys, you can have any place that dupes keys make you one and you can activate it yourself. I'm pretty sure someone posted the directions on how to do that.
Thanks. Why 2 keys to program a new one? I'm not doubting you, I just want to understand. I'm getting one key with the car. I STILL need another to program another? I read a write-up on programming a new key - original goes in, on/off, (I'm abbreviating here) then the new one goes in within 15 seconds, on/off. No mention of needing two keys to do this. Am I missing something?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Two keys so that a valet can't take your key, make a duplicate, and swing by later to drive off with your car.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Walmart can make a second key and program it, if you bring the original key. That's what I ended up doing. it's like $60-$80 or something like that.
Musmyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
YOU could buy a key off the internet. But the key is not where the locksmith makes his money. Most locksmiths have the proper programmer to add a second key with Mustang's pats system. Call for a quote.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If you do make sure it's the right chip, because when I got mine off line they sent me the wrong chip and it couldn't be programmed.
Musmyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musmyke View Post
Walmart can make a second key and program it, if you bring the original key. That's what I ended up doing. it's like $60-$80 or something like that.
I'll give WalMart a try in the morning. The seller is taking $50 off the price, but I would have to do it anyway. Thanks
Old 02-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I'll give WalMart a try in the morning. The seller is taking $50 off the price, but I would have to do it anyway. Thanks

That's good. Atleast the seller is assuming responsibility for his mistake.
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
whatever I only have one key ... well 3 .. what about the trunk and door key? since they don't start the car. u should be at least getting 2
KraftDinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasflorez View Post
That's good. Atleast the seller is assuming responsibility for his mistake.
Yeah, he's been pretty cool throughout the entire transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftDinner View Post
whatever I only have one key ... well 3 .. what about the trunk and door key? since they don't start the car. u should be at least getting 2
Definitely! Since there's no chip involved I planned on getting at least 2 extra.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I used to work at a hardware store a long while ago. We were able to make them with no problems. Truevalue Hardware should be able to make you a copy with the chip, runs about $60. They only need one key to program the new one. Only takes about 10mins.
Unrivaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Same happened with my car. You can get a regular key cut to open the doors, but to start it you need the special PATS key... It'll cost about $80 for that.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Might only get ONE key with the car

Quote:
Tomorrow, I am picking up the '98 6 cyl Coupe I bought for my son. The seller called and says he's not able to find the second key, and might have to deliver the car with ONE key only until he finds the second one. How much of a hassle is it getting a dupe key made up- being there's a resistor/chip in the key- and do they have to be made at Ford, and what do these keys cost? I'll find out soon enough if he finds the spare key, but I figured I'd get my post count up and at the same time learn something also.

I lost the keys to my old '95, popped the ignition and drove with a screwdriver for a few weeks, new ignition cost $60 and came with 2 keys.

Lol also stole the passenger side door lock and a key from my sister so i could get into the car
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
I should probably get a dupe for my 98 sixxer I only have one and am always worried about locking my self out in the morning when I ley it warm up in the driveway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well, gentlemen, as it turned out ,,,

So I finished the deal with the seller this morning at the local DMV. He originally agreed to lower the price $50 for the missing second key, and instead he hooked me up with another fifty off, "for my trouble", he said. That was cool of him.

Anyway, went to Ford after registering the car to get a key cut and programmed. They made such a big deal out of it. They tell me it's $85 plus tax, and I would have to leave the car or come back in the morning because it's an hour job to program the key. I said I'll be back in the morning.

To make a long story short (yeah right, it's already too long) I stopped off and got a key made at WalMart for $50 (thanks "Musmyke" for the suggestion, btw) and while I was at it, I got two spares for the doors and trunk. In and out in 10 minutes, no chit!

Thanks a lot for the input and advice. I'll be back asking for more, I'm sure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion