Mod help needed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Mod help needed

Ok, I have the 3.8L with the auto trans. It's stock and I obviously can't leave it that way. So the first thing I have to do is the CAI with the tuner, and a full exhaust system. I'm going with a set of BBK shorty headers, H-pipe or X-pipe, and a set of Flowmaster American Thunder catbacks with the Super 40 series. The part I'm having trouble with is, I don't know if I want an X-pipe or an H-pipe. I'm not sure of the pros and cons of either. So any input/advise would be appreciated!!
Tommyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
H-pipe will give you a deeper tone and the X-pipe will give you a raspy tone. An X-pipe will also give you around 3 hp more but I would go with the H-pipe.
Performance Red 2000 v6- m112 supercharger,42lb green top injectors, 310lph fuel pump, BBK shorty headers, True dual exhaust, strut tower brace, GT rear sway bar, Steeda triax short throw shifter, SR lowering springs, tinted headlights and foglights, polk audio speakers, MTX subwoofer, Kenwood head unit and black leather interior.
2000stanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok that's exactly what I was looking for. I don't want that whiny "ricer" at mid range RPM like I've heard from most sixxers I see on you tube. So an H-pipe is the way to go then. Any input on the mufflers? Will they produce a good sound, or should I consider a different setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you are sure you want to keep your cats then I would go H-pipe. If you are willing to take your cats off I would go for a Mac prochamber. They sound really good in YouTube videos, but as for mufflers it's all opinion as to what you want. You said you want deep so I would look for 3 chamber mufflers and then do process of elimination until you find what you like.
Performance Red 2000 v6- m112 supercharger,42lb green top injectors, 310lph fuel pump, BBK shorty headers, True dual exhaust, strut tower brace, GT rear sway bar, Steeda triax short throw shifter, SR lowering springs, tinted headlights and foglights, polk audio speakers, MTX subwoofer, Kenwood head unit and black leather interior.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok cool deal. I'll check out the prochamber in a bit. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No problem, glad I could help.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboi View Post
Ok, I have the 3.8L with the auto trans. It's stock and I obviously can't leave it that way. So the first thing I have to do is the CAI with the tuner, and a full exhaust system. I'm going with a set of BBK shorty headers, H-pipe or X-pipe, and a set of Flowmaster American Thunder catbacks with the Super 40 series. The part I'm having trouble with is, I don't know if I want an X-pipe or an H-pipe. I'm not sure of the pros and cons of either. So any input/advise would be appreciated!!
What about your suspension?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Suspension!
royalpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Suspension is stock for now. That's probably going to be one of the last things on this list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I would move that up the list! If you add lowering springs, GT rear sway bar and strut tower brace it will totally change the cars handling and responsiveness. And the rear swaybar and strut tower brace can be got for under $100. I have a strut tower brace I am selling if your interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well the only reason why I say it's one of the last things I want to do is because we don't have a lot of curves where I live. I mean don't get me wrong, I know it's a very important thing to have. How much would a full suspension cost me. I mean not like complete but the more important parts.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Look for a 99-04 GT rear swaybar on CL or in a junk yard. - $30-$45
In 94-95 the GT came with a strut tower brace that is what I got. - $50-$55
Lowering springs and shocks can be found used but look at AM for pricing. If you lower your car you might need CC plates. I lowered mine 1.5" and the dealership drilled my stock CC plates to allow for more adjustability.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
FYI, I picked up a diablo predator tuner for $50 ebay. It makes the car so much more fun to drive with the transmission settings. I only have th87 octane tune on it, but the trans settings was the big helper...
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Those GT items are compatible with my 99?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yea! Here is a pic of the strut tower brace on my car. And the rear sway bar is a direct bolt in and you can use one from a 94-04 GT. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391693821.633557.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	147160

Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

That tower brace looks bad a**!

Old 02-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! Just find one close to you in a junk yard or CL. Then spray paint it gloss black before you put it on.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Are you going true duals with the mufflers?

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Cool deal stanguy. Yes tcopp. Shorty headers high flow cats H-pipe flowmaster Super 40s.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. I had dual Flowmaster 40's on my old sixxer without an x or h pipe with cats and it sounded decent for a V6.

2013 GT/CS
Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds a bit cheaper than my set up too lol. Do you have any sound clips?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Nah. Sorry dude. I bought just the mufflers for $50 a piece on eBay and had the exhaust shop cut a second pipe and put on tips.

2013 GT/CS
Old 02-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I hear ya. The kit I'm buying isn't too expensive plus it's already prebent. So I'll be doing the work in my garage.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Suspension is stock for now. That's probably going to be one of the last things on this list.

Suspension first. Otherwise you might have a problem with clearance of your exhaust. Suspension is a lot more than just driving around on curves. Suspension is also more than just throwing on a couple of struts and shocks. You may also have to add UCA, LCA and an Adjustable Pan Hard Bar to bring everything in line together.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Suspension first. Otherwise you might have a problem with clearance of your exhaust. Suspension is a lot more than just driving around on curves. Suspension is also more than just throwing on a couple of struts and shocks. You may also have to add UCA, LCA and an Adjustable Pan Hard Bar to bring everything in line together.
+1 to suspension mods, however these cars don't need a panhard bar and aftermarket UCAs tend to cause binding issues if you don't go with a rubber bushing

Sent from my XT1030 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
+1 to suspension mods, however these cars don't need a panhard bar and aftermarket UCAs tend to cause binding issues if you don't go with a rubber bushing

Sent from my XT1030 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Unfortunately I am having problems with my pinion gear. So I sprang for the UCA, LCA and Adj Pan Hard Bar. Going to tighten everything up.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Unfortunately I am having problems with my pinion gear. So I sprang for the UCA, LCA and Adj Pan Hard Bar. Going to tighten everything up.
Yeah the UCA and Panhard bar are a great upgrade for the S197s especially for the pinion angle and axle center line
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Sadly, No Need to Offer Advice on this....

Quote:
Tommy was in an accident and looks like his Mustang might be totaled. He wasn't injured other than his pride.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

My pride was definitely injured.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My pride was definitely injured.

Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad your not injured.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion