Questions about lowering springs. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Questions about lowering springs.

Hi everyone I have a question that I probably know the answer to but I'm hoping someone will tell me other wise. I want to pull the trigger on the sr lowering springs from a AM while they are on sale along with an adjustable panhard bar but my car is a dd and I car pool with two other guys, so every third week I'm driving to work with two other adults in the car. I'm thinking its going to be a terribly stiff and uncomfortable ride and possibly bottoming out over some large bumps, but I really want these springs. Any thoughts?
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Good springs. My friends don't feel the difference, they're not car people. I installed then two weeks ago Wth koni shocks.
mkashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If u pair them with upgraded shock/struts I don't think the ride would be that much worse..from what I've heard/read with upgraded shocks/struts these give close to oem ride quality. As for bottoming out..I don't think a 1.5 drop is enough to worry about every little bump maybe be a little extra cautious but it should be too bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the quick responses, I'll be using the OEM shocks/struts. Not a good idea?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Lowering with just the springs will cause excessive camber and uneven tire wear up front, that is why we use our strut mounts, in addition to being stronger they have room for camber adjustment, the stock ones don’t.

Springs, dampers, and mounts all have the same labor so doing them at the same time also saves on labor cost/time and alignments.

In short ... Springs: Okay to do them by themselves ... but strongly recommend the panhard bar. HD Mounts & optional Shocks and Struts for better ride quality.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses, I'll be using the OEM shocks/struts. Not a good idea?
Not a good idea if u wanna keep a good ride quality. If u plan on just doing the springs & nothing else u will get a harsh ride & probably get worse as time!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, after reading your responses I'm going to wait and get the rest of the $$ together to do it properly. I was just wondering because there are a few people that have just done springs and panhard bar. Thanks again guys! Ride quality is very important to me so its worth it to wait.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks guys, after reading your responses I'm going to wait and get the rest of the $$ together to do it properly. I was just wondering because there are a few people that have just done springs and panhard bar. Thanks again guys! Ride quality is very important to me so its worth it to wait.
Yea it's better to just do it all at once..especially if ur looking for the best ride quality!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What upgrade would you recommend for the suspensions?
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I installed a set of FRPP lowering springs and a BMR adj panhard bar 2 weeks ago. Also had a very professional alignment. It really dropped the car--looks great--but so far a little bumpier but not bad. I was going to opt for the camber bolts at the time also but forgot. I think the FRPP springs are the way to go and the price is right too. If it gets worse down the road I'll post.
lesgtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
It's always nice to do everything at once, but running the factory struts/shocks on an 11+ Mustang isn't too bad. We have a TON of customers who are still using their factory dampeners with lowering springs. In fact, AMDanBailer is running his factory struts/shocks on Eibach Sportline springs, which have an even lower drop than the SR springs.

The bare essential here is the adj panhard bar. Other than that, you'll be okay with an alignment. With a 1.5" drop on an 11+ Mustang, cambers bolts aren't usually needed either. Again, AMDanBailer isn't running camber bolts either. He has even tread wear on all of his tires, as all of our customers do with this setup!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I forgot to mention that I also added new silicon (?) dampeners.
lesgtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
It's always nice to do everything at once, but running the factory struts/shocks on an 11+ Mustang isn't too bad. We have a TON of customers who are still using their factory dampeners with lowering springs. In fact, AMDanBailer is running his factory struts/shocks on Eibach Sportline springs, which have an even lower drop than the SR springs.

The bare essential here is the adj panhard bar. Other than that, you'll be okay with an alignment. With a 1.5" drop on an 11+ Mustang, cambers bolts aren't usually needed either. Again, AMDanBailer isn't running camber bolts either. He has even tread wear on all of his tires, as all of our customers do with this setup!

Shane
Thanks shane, I will have three adults in the car every third week as I car pool, I'm just worried about the ride quality being really ruff or possibly blowing out a shock. I have close to zero knowledge when it comes to lowering a car but I really want to order those springs and adj panhard bar. Do you think I'll be ok?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks shane, I will have three adults in the car every third week as I car pool, I'm just worried about the ride quality being really ruff or possibly blowing out a shock. I have close to zero knowledge when it comes to lowering a car but I really want to order those springs and adj panhard bar. Do you think I'll be ok?
I think you'll be fine, even with 3 adults in the car. The 11+ S197's have pretty nice dampeners from the factory and we're only talking about lowering the car 1.5", nothing insane. As I mentioned before, we've a ton of S197 customers who run the stock dampeners with no issues.

Now I'm not saying it won't better with aftermarket struts/shocks. I think it's clear that aftermarket performance dampeners are optimum for any lowered Mustang. However, everyone's on a budget, we're simply talking about what you can get away with for a long period of time.

Yes, I would pick up an adjustable panhard bar and call wit a day. Work up a new budget down the road and you can change the dampeners and maybe control arms. It's just not required from day one, nor will it be an issue shortly down the road.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks shane! I'm going to try and order them this weekend.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Fwiw I am running oem dampeners (trackpack) on my '14 GT with Steeda Ultra Lites and it really rides the same as stock. I regularly carry my wife and daughter...hardly 3 adult weights!...and have zero issues.
I am not running camber plates or bolts either. It dialed in perfectly without them.
I do have an adjustable Steeda Pan Hard bar, but honestly, that wasn't off by much really...about 1/2" to the right I believe. Hardly noticeable.
I recommend doing ur springs and bar (if u have the extra $). If u do blow a strut, go pick a set up. But, i have used oem struts with Eibachs many many times in the past.
GL,
Troy
Old 02-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #17
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks shane! I'm going to try and order them this weekend.
Sure thing! Think you're going to love what the SR springs are going to do to your Mustang. It's going to feel like a whole new animal around curvy back roads.

Check out Troy's post above if you haven't seen it yet. He has a perfect real life example!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

OP, one thing to look into is whether your drop will need an adjustable UCA to reset the pinion angle. The general consensus seems to be that a drop greater than 1" can throw your pinion angle out of spec and cause premature pinion wear and pinion seal leakage. Although, I've also been told the CV style joint on the stock driveshaft is more forgiving. Just an FYI as UCA's and LCA's often don't come up until you are already lowered and notice your geometry is off.

Shane or TJ - can you comment on pinion angle and the stock driveshafts with a 1" drop vs a 1+" drop?
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
OP, one thing to look into is whether your drop will need an adjustable UCA to reset the pinion angle. The general consensus seems to be that a drop greater than 1" can throw your pinion angle out of spec and cause premature pinion wear and pinion seal leakage. Although, I've also been told the CV style joint on the stock driveshaft is more forgiving. Just an FYI as UCA's and LCA's often don't come up until you are already lowered and notice your geometry is off.

Shane or TJ - can you comment on pinion angle and the stock driveshafts with a 1" drop vs a 1+" drop?
Pinion angle is always important to check and maintain when lowering any RWD vehicle. Out of the factory specs, it will cause the DS to vibrate violently and/or wear the joints of the DS prematurely.

With that being said, we've found the stock 2-piece DS isn't easily affected with a lowered S197. We've lowered 11+ S197's well over 1" and didn't have to correct for the pinion angle. However, once we installed a stronger one piece DS, the pinion angle HAD to be adjusted because of violent DS vibrations.

The factory DS isn't the strongest piece, but it's nice if you just cruise your Mustang and want to throw a set of lowering springs on it. Without replacing most of the suspension.

Keep in mind it's still a compromise and ideally you should always maintain the stock pinion angle!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Pinion angle is always important to check and maintain when lowering any RWD vehicle. Out of the factory specs, it will cause the DS to vibrate violently and/or wear the joints of the DS prematurely.

With that being said, we've found the stock 2-piece DS isn't easily affected with a lowered S197. We've lowered 11+ S197's well over 1" and didn't have to correct for the pinion angle. However, once we installed a stronger one piece DS, the pinion angle HAD to be adjusted because of violent DS vibrations.

The factory DS isn't the strongest piece, but it's nice if you just cruise your Mustang and want to throw a set of lowering springs on it. Without replacing most of the suspension.

Keep in mind it's still a compromise and ideally you should always maintain the stock pinion angle!

Shane

Excellent feedback! Really helps clarify the pinion angle considerations for me. Thanks!
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Excellent feedback! Really helps clarify the pinion angle considerations for me. Thanks!
Glad I could help! If you have more questions in the future, don't be shy to give me a shout.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
You may want to get a pinion angle measurement before and after you get lowering springs installed to see where you started from the factory so you can determine if your pinion angle has changed, and how much you may need to correct it to reach the factory spec.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Is it possible for me to lower my 95
95convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post
You may want to get a pinion angle measurement before and after you get lowering springs installed to see where you started from the factory so you can determine if your pinion angle has changed, and how much you may need to correct it to reach the factory spec.
If it has moved how do I correct it? Is it something I need to replace or just an adjustment.

2013 V6, Candy apple metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,painted side mirrors covers,upper and lower black billet grille,pony projection lights,boss 302 strut tower brace,barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,bama tuned,bbk shorty headers,Roush AB.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think you'll be fine, even with 3 adults in the car. The 11+ S197's have pretty nice dampeners from the factory and we're only talking about lowering the car 1.5", nothing insane. As I mentioned before, we've a ton of S197 customers who run the stock dampeners with no issues.

Now I'm not saying it won't better with aftermarket struts/shocks. I think it's clear that aftermarket performance dampeners are optimum for any lowered Mustang. However, everyone's on a budget, we're simply talking about what you can get away with for a long period of time.

Yes, I would pick up an adjustable panhard bar and call wit a day. Work up a new budget down the road and you can change the dampeners and maybe control arms. It's just not required from day one, nor will it be an issue shortly down the road.

Shane
Hi Shane,
I took your advice and ordered the SR lowering springs and a J&m panhard bar. I'm going to attempt the install tomorrow, but they are calling for rain. But if the weather holds up I'll post some before and after pics for y'all. Thanks for all your help!

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
What if I am planning on only lowering the rear of the car only? The rears are 20s" and the fronts are 19". The tires are low profile (previous owner). Do I have to worrry about the panhard bar or anything? I just want to lower the huge gap the rear tires have. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. When u lower the rear, it shifts to the side slightly. Plain geometry at work.
Troy
Old 04-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Passenger comfort is item number 101 on my list of 25 things I worry about.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Passenger comfort is item number 101 on my list of 25 things I worry about.
Lol. +1

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Got the car back tonight with the 3.73s and the SR lowering springs, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Thought I'd post some pics for u guys.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397864001530.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	154423   Click image for larger version

Name:	1397864048121.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	154424  

Old 04-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Believe it or not these wheels are 19" with the OEM springs. Rear tire.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1397864146639.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	154425  
Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got the car back tonight with the 3.73s and the SR lowering springs, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Thought I'd post some pics for u guys. 2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic. Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Looks good man! What size tires are u running?
Old 04-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

245/45/19

Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Pirelli p zeros that came with the wheels from AM. This was what it look like not zoomed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1397865670238.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	154428  
Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

After.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1397865786770.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	154431  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion