Another day, another problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Another day, another problem

Lol sorry I'm being a little dramatic with the title of this thread. But seriously, I just started experiencing issues with Sync in my 14 V6 and now a new issue is being thrown into the mix.

Note that the car has ~5,100 miles.

Upon cold start, something squeals loudly. It sounds like it could be a belt, or maybe a tensioner, or something like that. Anyways, the squeal slowly dies down as the engine warms and by the time the engine fully warms, the sound completely stops. It's frustrating as hell to drive such a beautiful car...that squeals.

The sound echoes in my parking garage and a guy getting in his car next to me looked over with a puzzled look when I started it. Embarrassing. Haha

I'd attach a video of it squealing but I'm on my phone. Might be able to get it put up later on.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Lol sorry I'm being a little dramatic with the title of this thread. But seriously, I just started experiencing issues with Sync in my 14 V6 and now a new issue is being thrown into the mix.

Upon cold start, something squeals loudly. It sounds like it could be a belt, or maybe a tensioner, or something like that. Anyways, the squeal slowly dies down as the engine warms and by the time the engine fully warms, the sound completely stops. It's frustrating as hell to drive such a beautiful car...that squeals.

The sound echoes in my parking garage and a guy getting in his car next to me looked over with a puzzled look when I started it. Embarrassing. Haha

I'd attach a video of it squealing but I'm on my phone. Might be able to get it put up later on.
Buy some Belt Dressing at Pep Boys, Autozone or somewhere like that and squirt it on that serpetine belt and that should cure your problem...
Old 02-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post
Buy some Belt Dressing at Pep Boys, Autozone or somewhere like that and squirt it on that serpetine belt and that should cure your problem...

Is that a cure or a bandaid? Lol
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is that a cure or a bandaid? Lol
It should be a cure, sometimes those belts get wet and can squeak. Whenever I wash my GF's new Focus and her belt gets a little water on it, it will squeak until it dry...

And quit being a cheapskate that belt dressing only costs like $3.00 a can!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post
It should be a cure, sometimes those belts get wet and can squeak. Whenever I wash my GF's new Focus and her belt gets a little water on it, it will squeak until it dry...

And quit being a cheapskate that belt dressing only costs like $3.00 a can!

Hey now! I'm not being cheap I just wanna make sure. Haha but it's been doing this since yesterday and the belt isn't wet.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey now! I'm not being cheap I just wanna make sure. Haha but it's been doing this since yesterday and the belt isn't wet.
Im just raggin on ya a little bit....I would try some belt dressing if that doesnt fix it, it may be a pulley...
Old 02-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm having the same problem on my truck. Annoying as hell.
Tried new belts, tensioner, tensioner pulley. The squeak always comes back. I'm going to try new pulleys next. I've always been against "belt dressing" because it can collect in the grooves of the pulleys and be a real b!tch to remove.

I think I'd try a new belt first, in your case...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I'm having the same problem on my truck. Annoying as hell.

Tried new belts, tensioner, tensioner pulley. The squeak always comes back. I'm going to try new pulleys next. I've always been against "belt dressing" because it can collect in the grooves of the pulleys and be a real b!tch to remove.

I think I'd try a new belt first, in your case...

Yeah I don't have time to fiddle with it by myself with classes and work since I leave my place as the sun comes up and return as it's going down. Lol but my dad offered to come up here tomorrow and swap cars with me and said he'd take her into ford so they can deal with it. Thank god too because I really don't have any time to take it to ford. I figure that if I give it to ford, they'll find and fix the problem because I'm friends with one of the GMs there and he's pretty cool about this kinda stuff. I guess I'll have them take a look at the sync issue while it's there.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My new temp whip.

"The Lady Killer."
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1391636566.876965.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	800.8 KB
ID:	147108
Old 02-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

My 13 did/does the same thing. I've tried the belt dressing and it worked for a little while but it came back. Mine doesnt do it all the time, in fact its pretty rare and it goes away a minute or two after its running. I took it to the dealer and they put, if I remember correctly, a Teflon on it but it wasn't a long term solution. The sound is between a squeaky belt and/or noisy pulley.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Another day, another problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
My 13 did/does the same thing. I've tried the belt dressing and it worked for a little while but it came back. Mine doesnt do it all the time, in fact its pretty rare and it goes away a minute or two after its running. I took it to the dealer and they put, if I remember correctly, a Teflon on it but it wasn't a long term solution. The sound is between a squeaky belt and/or noisy pulley.

Well god I hope it doesn't come back. It isn't really a sound that I can live with. :/
Old 02-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Mine does the same thing and I have 3700 miles and it's been doing it since around 2000 miles. Mine does it after I've driven it and parked it and if I go somewhere 30 mins. Later it squeals. I read on another forum it's due to alternator position. It soaks up the heat and causes it to squeal. Like I said it sounds weird but that's what I've heard from others. Some have tried different alternators and it worked. I'll try to find that thread and post it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Idk, I let two ford mechanics listen to the video I have of it and neither said that it is a normal sound for the 3.7 to make. If it were the alternator soaking up heat then shouldn't it have done it from 0 miles?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

When mine does it, its only on a cold start up. Mine car has 18000 kms on it and has done it since it was new. If that's all I have to worry about with this engine I'll be very happy seeing that its very minor and happens only sometimes, but yeah I would still like to find a more permanent solution!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When mine does it, its only on a cold start up. Mine car has 18000 kms on it and has done it since it was new. If that's all I have to worry about with this engine I'll be very happy seeing that its very minor and happens only sometimes, but yeah I would still like to find a more permanent solution!

Yeah the phenomenon which you're experiencing doesn't seem to be the same that I am. If it were only every once in a while, it'd be okay. But it's actually on every cold startup. Pretty lame. Lol
Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah the phenomenon which you're experiencing doesn't seem to be the same that I am. If it were only every once in a while, it'd be okay. But it's actually on every cold startup. Pretty lame. Lol
Yeah that sucks! I hope you figure out a solution.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by air_commando88 View Post
Mine does the same thing and I have 3700 miles and it's been doing it since around 2000 miles. Mine does it after I've driven it and parked it and if I go somewhere 30 mins. Later it squeals. I read on another forum it's due to alternator position. It soaks up the heat and causes it to squeal. Like I said it sounds weird but that's what I've heard from others. Some have tried different alternators and it worked. I'll try to find that thread and post it.

If you could find that thread that's be awesome. If it ever comes back after ford fixes it I'll know what to try next.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah that sucks! I hope you figure out a solution.

Thanks dude. The dealership is usually really quick with these things so It should be fixed no later than Friday, I'd say. Unless there's some complex underlying issue, which I doubt. I'll post what they tell me when I hear from 'em.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks dude. The dealership is usually really quick with these things so It should be fixed no later than Friday, I'd say. Unless there's some complex underlying issue, which I doubt. I'll post what they tell me when I hear from 'em.
Please do as my dealer addressed it as a squeaky belt. Good luck I hope they cure it.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:07 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the thread I was talking about. Hope this helps

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ine-start.html

Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Good, you took it to a dealer for warranty work. Paying what you did for that 2014 Mustang should not have required you to have to squirt belt dressing on it to quiet it down.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Very interesting. There is a video of a guy turning his alternator by hand on page 3 of that thread and it sounds very similar to what I heard. It sounds pretty metallic, like a squeaky bicycle wheel rather than a rubber squeal. BUT, he also claims that the sound is produced after sitting for short periods (so that the engine is still hot and the alternator brushes are a little larger due to thermal expansion). My sound occurs when the car is totally cool (like after it's been sitting all night) only. So thermal expansion of alternator parts doesn't quite add up in my mind. Hmm...
Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Avoid belt dressing on any belt, anywhere unless its an emergency or very temporary. Belt noise is never acceptable. Ford will take care of you. Good Luck.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

This is true but I suppose if you really wanted to eliminate it you could always take it off and spin by hand like he did. Just a thought

Old 02-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by air_commando88 View Post
This is true but I suppose if you really wanted to eliminate it you could always take it off and spin by hand like he did. Just a thought

Yeah that'll be my best bet if it ever occurs a second time.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

If it were the exhaust manifold overheating the alternator, couldn't I just heat wrap the manifold, problem solved?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Is it the stock exhaust manifold? If so, then why isn't this a common reported problem with your year Mustang?

If other same make/models do not produce the same noises, then the dealership corrects it.

If it were old, and/or you have done mods, then perhaps a wrap would be the cheap fix.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

You may be able to but if it's gotten to the point that his did then it probably won't help. I've noticed my doing sometimes when cold too but it's kind of faint

Old 02-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Is it the stock exhaust manifold? If so, then why isn't this a common reported problem with your year Mustang?

If other same make/models do not produce the same noises, then the dealership corrects it.

If it were old, and/or you have done mods, then perhaps a wrap would be the cheap fix.

Everything under the hood is stock. Completely untampered. Haha I have doubts that it would be the alternator because it does it on cold start when the effects of thermal expansion on the alternator wouldn't be present. And as bucko suggested, if it were a design flaw, this problem would be hugely widespread. It's just that the The sound of the squeaking alternator in the video sounds very similar to mine. Might hear back from them later today, anyway. I swear I will put a fist through a wall if they say that they don't hear anything. Lol
Old 02-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Everything under the hood is stock. Completely untampered. Haha I have doubts that it would be the alternator because it does it on cold start when the effects of thermal expansion on the alternator wouldn't be present. And as bucko suggested, if it were a design flaw, this problem would be hugely widespread. It's just that the The sound of the squeaking alternator in the video sounds very similar to mine. Might hear back from them later today, anyway. I swear I will put a fist through a wall if they say that they don't hear anything. Lol
Yeah, I KNOW that it is NOT the alternator making the noise that I'm experiencing on my truck. I have TWO belts and it is NOT the belt driving the alternator.
Not saying that couldn't be the problem that some people were having but everything on the front of the engine, that turns, can potentially make a "squealing" noise.

At the end of that lengthy thread, people were still asking for fixes.

And I wonder if that Ford representative was able to actually help anyone...
Old 02-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the vid
Attached Files
Old 02-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Okay Ford called. They thought it was the idler pulley at first. So they replaced it. They assumed that the ball bearing didn't have enough lubrication so they replaced that. They waited for the car to cool and they test drove it again. Lo and behold, it squealed. So they now are pretty sure that it IS in fact the alternator...which they currently have none of. So I won't get my car back until next week. Blown.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I'm back in possession of the car. I had it sit for 5 hours earlier and then started it up. It didn't squeal. But the real test is when I leave for class tomorrow. It will have sat for about 12 hours and it's going to be below freezing tomorrow. If it squeals don't be surprised if you hear about me on the evening news.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Well, tune into the 8 o'clock news. M***********r.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Post a video when you get a chance...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion