Bbk 78 mm intake/plenum combo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Bbk 78 mm intake/plenum combo

I'm looking into getting a new intake/throttle body and my question is which would be better for my mildly modded 01 gt. A Bbk one piece 78mm or a two piece 70mm from SR. I heard the 78mm on a mildly modded gt will actually do the opposite of what it's suppose to do. I have a Bbk cold air,Bbk under drive pulleys, performance ignition,Flowmasters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thunderupokc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I plan on buying a tuner, and maybe some injectors or coils with the intake. With these mods and the ones I have would the 78 mm work?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Road Trip!

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...no-charts.html

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I bought the 75mm SR tb and got the accufab plenum, now it looks like its the $4xx combo...

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If I buy a 70mm intake can I keep the stock plenum or should I get a aftermarket plenum as well?

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

I ment 70mm throttle body

Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have the bbk 78mm piece and it's great. Easy to install and looks much better than the stock setup. Truth be told don't get so caught up in the "mm" size of these things. It's just retarded. Anything is better than stock and I u continue to mod it's only going to enhance what you already have. Yes things can be overkill but in reality big power come from big mod power adders or head cam combos. Plus the stock plastic intake is good for up to 600hp so u should be good to go. Just my $0.02
jhherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You can certainly do that it won't help that much being its still restricted. It will make a cool sucking turbo sound, but its cuz the plenum still is smaller than the tb so I would get the plenum asap

Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #8
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
I find the 78mm vs 75 mm argument to be a waste of time.. Like 3 Mm is gonna cost you a ton of HP.. No maybe like a half of a HP..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If that. Lol. I went with 75 because not looking for FI. Those that may run boost in the future go with 78

Old 02-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #10
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
If that. Lol. I went with 75 because not looking for FI. Those that may run boost in the future go with 78
But I don't even see how 3 mm is gonna show any major gains even AFTER boost.. I mean stop thinking technical and think reality.. It's 3mm.. Your not gonna feel any difference between that and a 75mm..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know for sure but think like turbo size more air more boost.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderupokc81 View Post
I'm looking into getting a new intake/throttle body and my question is which would be better for my mildly modded 01 gt. A Bbk one piece 78mm or a two piece 70mm from SR. I heard the 78mm on a mildly modded gt will actually do the opposite of what it's suppose to do. I have a Bbk cold air,Bbk under drive pulleys, performance ignition,Flowmasters.

Quote:
I plan on buying a tuner, and maybe some injectors or coils with the intake. With these mods and the ones I have would the 78 mm work?

Quote:
If I buy a 70mm intake can I keep the stock plenum or should I get a aftermarket plenum as well?

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

I ment 70mm throttle body

Thunderupokc81,

You honestly can't go wrong with the BBK 78mm TB/Plenum combo or the SR 75mm TB and Plenum. Either way, I would not skip over upgrading the plenum, whatever you decide. A lot of the factory restriction is within the plenum, which either of these upgraded plenums take care of.

I agree with Bucko on the 78m vs 75mm topic we often see on the forums. The different is minimum. You won't regret either setup for your Mustang!

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Brands are only differentiated by prices and quality. SR is cheaper but quality is a little lower but I went with SR and it's great. If suggest SR because it's cheaper an quality is good too!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Brands are only differentiated by prices and quality. SR is cheaper but quality is a little lower but I went with SR and it's great. If suggest SR because it's cheaper an quality is good too!
Thanks for sharing your personal experience with TB's and plenums for other members to read. I really appreciate the feedback! A lot of guys here haven't had the pleasure of using a SR Performance piece, to see how nice they truly are.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Right! I am using some of their products since they are cheaper. Some of the products work with no problems. Only thing is I might make a review on the sure how the throttle cable had an issue but easy fix

Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Right! I am using some of their products since they are cheaper. Some of the products work with no problems. Only thing is I might make a review on the sure how the throttle cable had an issue but easy fix
I agree, that you should definitely make a review about the throttle cable tweak. Even though it's minor, that's feedback that we can send to alert the manufacturer for tweaks/adjustments. As feedback comes into our product pages, useful tips like this are always forwarded to the correct people.

The more feedback the better! Thanks again.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
There are only two real choices for a 2V plenum. TFS and Accufab. Accufab makes the most power, TFS is easily the better bang for the buck and makes nearly as much. This is backed up with numbers.

Accufab also makes badass TBs but I would go with a Dragon. SR is basically AM's "Pro Products" or "UPR" and like both companies is inferior Chinese copypasta of better quality brands. Not saying some of the stuff doesn't work but you do get what you pay for.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:36 AM   #18
Road Trip!

I got a C&L plenum and I personally think it's pretty good. Idk how to tell if one doesn't though lol. And an accufab 75mm throttle body. Pretty good combo IMO

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #19
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
There are only two real choices for a 2V plenum. TFS and Accufab. Accufab makes the most power, TFS is easily the better bang for the buck and makes nearly as much. This is backed up with numbers.

Accufab also makes badass TBs but I would go with a Dragon. SR is basically AM's "Pro Products" or "UPR" and like both companies is inferior Chinese copypasta of better quality brands. Not saying some of the stuff doesn't work but you do get what you pay for.
scottydsntknow,

I'm sorry to say, but I disagree about there only being two real choices. There are certainly more than two, or even three. The SR intake plenum and TB is very much so a real choice, with real power gains. At the lower cost, yes there may be a slight difference in the power band compared to a high budget brand like accufab or TPS. However, the difference is minimum and not worth the extra cost for most street cars.

The SR intake plenum and throttle body are also quality pieces. We've had a ton of solid feedback from our customers regarding these parts and I can't say I've heard of any complaints (aside from what 1lowGT mentioned). I think even you would be pleased with the quality and performance if decided to use the two!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
scottydsntknow,

I'm sorry to say, but I disagree about there only being two real choices. There are certainly more than two, or even three. The SR intake plenum and TB is very much so a real choice, with real power gains. At the lower cost, yes there may be a slight difference in the power band compared to a high budget brand like accufab or TPS. However, the difference is minimum and not worth the extra cost for most street cars.

The SR intake plenum and throttle body are also quality pieces. We've had a ton of solid feedback from our customers regarding these parts and I can't say I've heard of any complaints (aside from what 1lowGT mentioned). I think even you would be pleased with the quality and performance if decided to use the two!

Shane
Question. Why in the blue hell would I pay $264.98 for your SR Plenum and 75mm TB when I can get the TFS combo for $279.97 at Summit? I'll pay the $15 extra for the known quality and proven performance of the TFS pieces.

Also, if I was going to get a "house brand" TB/Plenum combo I'd pay $45 less for the SVE Combo at LRS.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #21
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

As I mentioned to 1lowGT, everyone who I've seen try SR intake plenum and TB have been very pleased with the quality. The quality of these two SR Performance products are also known for their quality and performance.

If you prefer the SVE combo from LRS, there's nothing wrong with that. If anything it supports my intention of showing there's more than only two or three choices.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Obviously there are more choices than two, my meaning is that there are only two worth looking at. However its well known that numbers support the Accufab being the best performer. Surprisingly the TFS is the next one on the list and its the cheapest setup except for the SR/SVE knock offs and at $15 more than the SR its really a no brainer to go with TFS.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #23
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Yes, I do understand your intentions were to say there's only two choices worth looking at. This is what I disagreed with. My intentions were to show there's more than two choices that are worth while. Not just more than two choices total, but instead more than two worth while choices total.

As I mentioned earlier, the SR intake plenum and TB performs extremely well. It's most certainly a worth while choice when selecting an upgraded intake plenum for a 96-04 2v GT!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion