Rear end whine normal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Rear end whine normal?

I here a whining noise coming from my rear end, especially when I'm cruising at high way speeds. I've recently started hearing the noise at most a month ago and have no clue what it is.

My mods:
CAI
Full exhaust
3.73s, which were installed way before I heard the noise
One piece driveshaft
Lowered 1'5in
LCAs
Adjustable UCA
Adjustable pan hard bar
Bama tune

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
SouthFLV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Are you sure it is not tire whine? One way to see is reduce your rear tire pressure like 6psi and drive again and see if the pitch of whine changes at the same MPH. Then put the 6PSI back in the tires.

Next find a large large empty parking lot where you can do circles large and tight with the windows down and see if you can hear a whine that changes the tighter you make the circles, and if it changes in sound from left circles to right circles.

If you still are not sure, seek out a local person to check for you. Your shop that put in the gears would be a good choice. How many miles ago was it?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I can hear the whine at lower speeds, it just not as loud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Rear end whine normal?

If you let your foot off the gas does it quiet down or go away and then come back as soon as you step on the gas? Especially if you touch the gas just hard enough to maintain speed but not really accelerate?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
If you let your foot off the gas does it quiet down or go away and then come back as soon as you step on the gas?
That is exactly what it does!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLV6 View Post
That is exactly what it does!

I just added one more line to my original post. Please read and answer.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just added one more line to my original post. Please read and answer.
yep, still describes it perfectly
Old 02-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds like gear whine. Shorter gears do whine more than taller gears, but if it's getting worse I would definitely get it checked out. It could be as simple as being low on fluid, or it could be more serious.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My 4-wheel drive Dakota does exactly that same thing, but it has done it ever since I bought the truck so I would say mine is normal. I bought it with 95,000 and have 166,000 on it now.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It sounds like gear whine. Shorter gears do whine more than taller gears, but if it's getting worse I would definitely get it checked out. It could be as simple as being low on fluid, or it could be more serious.
Alright man, I appreciate the advice. I'll call up the shop that I had them installed and have them take a look. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright man, I appreciate the advice. I'll call up the shop that I had them installed and have them take a look. Thanks a lot.

Sure, let us know how it turns out. That will help the next person that searches for a similar problem out here next time.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
When you had the 3.73 gears installed, did they add friction modifier to the gear oil?

American Muscle: Ford Racing Friction Modifier
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
When you had the 3.73 gears installed, did they add friction modifier to the gear oil?

American Muscle: Ford Racing Friction Modifier
Yes, friction modifier needs to be added to the gear install.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I here a whining noise coming from my rear end, especially when I'm cruising at high way speeds. I've recently started hearing the noise at most a month ago and have no clue what it is.

My mods:
CAI
Full exhaust
One piece driveshaft
Lowered 1'5in
LCAs
Adjustable UCA
Adjustable pan hard bar
Bama tune

Perhaps you should state that differently.

"I here a whining noise coming from my rear end."

Instead, I here a whining noise coming from the axle area.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Add the friction modifer

Put it in and I'm sure the noise will totaly disappear.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

My mods:
CAI
Full exhaust
One piece driveshaft
Lowered 1'5in
LCAs
Adjustable UCA
Adjustable pan hard bar
Bama tune

The end play was not set properly and may need to be disassembled.....if the friction modifier does not work take it to where you had them installed .....
gt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #17
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Good call bringing it back to the shop who installed the gears! If the noise is "new" and wasn't already existent, than there's most likely an issue with the gearing. I doubt it's because you're missing the friction modifier, as you would have hear this noise a lot sooner. Plus the clutch gears would easily lock up around tight turns.

Hope everything works out for you! Keep us updated.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
one thing to mention is aluminum driveshafts will make any noises you have louder as it transmits the noise more. i had my stock driveshaft on for a week after my 373 gears installed and when i switched to the aluminum driveshaft the gear whine got louder but im used to it. also not everyone will use ford friction modifier but im probably one of the few v6 owners that uses a wavetrac lsd which uses helical type gears and any friction modifier makes my lsd work worse. my lsd actually likes friction i have to use super thick synergyn 80w140 gear oil for my lsd. and my brakes actually work about 15% better and stop faster with my lsd upgrade. supposely this lsd is bulletproof uses 9309 steel gears and a billet or forged case and never requires maintenance.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Yes, friction modifier needs to be added to the gear install.
Depends on the rear gear oil used. Royal Purple adds in a modifier to their gear oil. I use it, but also add the tube of modifier as well, as I track my car once or twice a month.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Depends on the rear gear oil used. Royal Purple adds in a modifier to their gear oil. I use it, but also add the tube of modifier as well, as I track my car once or twice a month.

Had them use royal purple. So what do you guys think? Normal for the gears with a one piece driveshaft to whine after a few thousand miles? Or not normal and should have them take a look at her?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A rear differential should not make any noise at all

Take it back to the people that installed the rear and they should fix it at no charge. If they did not put in the friction modifier let them try it to see if it quiets down. If it don't the rear needs to come apart and lapped in.
Ronnie
Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

It was common for street guys in the 70s to get gears at a local shop at low cost. After months or years they would whine or even get damaged 20k miles later from backlash and other shimming not up to factory standards taking it toll thousands of miles later.

That is why I took mine to the dealer, and paid double a shops price to keep my axle warrentee. They took 2 days to do it right, they had to order a shim size that they didn't have in stock. No I am not trashing the OP here for going to a shop, there are many good shops that do things correctly, but gears have to be done careful to last 100k+ miles.

Something for all folks getting gears to think about.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
It was common for street guys in the 70s to get gears at a local shop at low cost. After months or years they would whine or even get damaged 20k miles later from backlash and other shimming not up to factory standards taking it toll thousands of miles later.

That is why I took mine to the dealer, and paid double a shops price to keep my axle warrentee. They took 2 days to do it right, they had to order a shim size that they didn't have in stock. No I am not trashing the OP here for going to a shop, there are many good shops that do things correctly, but gears have to be done careful to last 100k+ miles.

Something for all folks getting gears to think about.
I would have to respectfully disagree and in fact a dealership would be the last place I would want my gear install too be done at. Simple reason, a gear install is not a common repair or install service a dealership does on a weekly or monthly basis. Other than performance enthusiasts , the majority of customers who owns Fords or mustangs don't do gear swaps.

I would prefer a performance shop who does gear installs on a regular basis complete my gear install. Or a known local shop who has a mechanic that's known for performance installs such as gears and is real familiar with them.

I don't want a Ford mechanic at a dealership who spends 99 percent of his or her time repairing warranty items and gear warranty issues is not one of those things they work on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.

I would personally stay away from dealerships for several reasons but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Just called up the shop that installed the gears and they said that it's normal to have harmonics with gears and a aluminum driveshaft
Old 02-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just called up the shop that installed the gears and they said that it's normal to have harmonics with gears and a aluminum driveshaft
Well , I must be uncommon because I have a one piece aluminum driveshaft and had my 3:73 gears installed with the one piece and I have no harmonics. Lol
Old 02-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Are they really kidding or are they serious????

Quote:
That is just plain not true. They just don't want to do it over right this time. It's lucky they are not talking to me. "VERY LUCKY"

The gears are not shimmed properly if the friction reducer did not work.

Check this out>>http://www.ringpinion.com/TechnicalHelp/TechHelp.aspx
Scroll down until you get to why does my rear whine.
It says this:
What is this whirring noise?
Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.

Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.

Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.

Rumble while turning may indicate bad wheel bearings.

A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.

Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts.
Ronnie
Old 02-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Plenty of information on Google

Just look it up.
They screwed up. No Ring and Pinion is supposed to make any noise. Drive shaft my ***.
Ronnie
Old 02-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I would be screaming for my $$$$ Back and not let them touch my car

Quote:
That is just plain not true. They just don't want to do it over right this time. It's lucky they are not talking to me. "VERY LUCKY"

Check this out>>Technical Help
It says this:
Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.

Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.

A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.

Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts.
Ronnie
Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie

I need to check my u joints lol

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree and in fact a dealership would be the last place I would want my gear install too be done at. Simple reason, a gear install is not a common repair or install service a dealership does on a weekly or monthly basis. Other than performance enthusiasts , the majority of customers who owns Fords or mustangs don't do gear swaps.
That may be true in your case. In my town my Ford dealer has one of the best gear guys in town. They do gears every month. They are a cooperative Ford Racing Dealer. Every GT owner is a target for them to get yet another gear sale. They do performance add ons.

They sell lots of regular mustangs, Shelbys and Boss every year. They take then back in trade, sell the guy a new Boss and put the used one inside the showroom. And yes I miss the 2014 Boss, but seen a few of almost new 2013 ones on there floor this year.They are the place to go to get a car you want speced out from as well, they search for it and bring to their showroom for you. Thats how I got by car.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #32
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Check this out>>http://www.ringpinion.com/TechnicalHelp/TechHelp.aspx
It says this:

Ronnie
They should add this to the list:

Clunking/rumbling only when decelerating - broken and/or backed out ring gear bolts (due to the shop not using loctite)

I have first hand experience from this thanks to the PO of the '05 GT I had being cheap and going to the shop that quoted him the lowest price.

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post

That may be true in your case. In my town my Ford dealer has one of the best gear guys in town. They do gears every month. They are a cooperative Ford Racing Dealer. Every GT owner is a target for them to get yet another gear sale. They do performance add ons.

They sell lots of regular mustangs, Shelbys and Boss every year. They take then back in trade, sell the guy a new Boss and put the used one inside the showroom. And yes I miss the 2014 Boss, but seen a few of almost new 2013 ones on there floor this year.They are the place to go to get a car you want speced out from as well, they search for it and bring to their showroom for you. Thats how I got by car.
Well then, that's great and no brainer for you too have it done at the dealership. Around me , there are three Ford dealerships in a 25 mile radius and none do performance mods and racing. Too boot the dealerships my way want 800 too 1000 dollars for gear install and that doesn't even include gears. They are smoking crack.

I paid 300 for my gear install from a mechanic who works on performance vehicles and does gear installs all the time.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi WhoDat

Click here>Technical Help

They have a lot of good advice and information on this site.
Ronnie
Old 02-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
go to American muscle and drivetrain
,gear sets installation read #19 to #32 this is a time consuming procedure and where your problem is ......hope this helps
gt07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion