Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Should I get this 05 3v?

10K views 97 replies 19 participants last post by  mystang50 
#1 ·
Well first things first, I'm joel and I'm glad to join this cool site :)
Iv always been a big fan of ls cars, but deep down I'm a ford guy. Anyways, I found this 05 5 speed mustang at the dealer ship. It has a carbon fiber hood, lowered, has some nice American racing rims, has 285's all around Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive lighting
. I test drove it the other day and oh boy does she sound mean..apperantly it's straight piped, the exhaust tips at the end say ford racing? Anyways I think the dealers askin a little too much. The thing about it that scares me is the miles. It reads 120k. They were asking 15 ford it, and I brought then down to 12. I still feel I'm getting ripped off. Should I go in next time with cash and see if they'll bite, or should I look elsewhere? Anyways any opinions or tips in looking for a 3v I'd appreciate thanks.

See less See more
#9 ·
Another thing about the car Is that when I drove it the clutch seemed like it was stage 2 or whatever you call it. It was hard as hell..but I'll tell you she purrs niiiice. I mean not even 2 blocks from the dealer I pass this challenger in 3rd gear, and at the light that's when I found out it was an srt8, and he starts revving his engine at me..idk she does turn heads but I think I can get a better deal somehere else..

#10 ·
This is my car. Its an 07 GT with. 60,000 miles on it plus its a covertible with triple black paint. Got it for just under $11,000. I think you are over paying for a car that has 120,000 under the hood. As for your question about the lifetime of these V8's, i know some Stangs that have over 200,000 and still drive great. It all depends on how you maintain your vehicle and change your fluids. I am well versed in the car arena and kniw quite a bit about Mustangs in general including little tips and tricks about maintainence that will help improve the lifetime of your vehicle. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Sedan
Car Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Tire

#13 ·
After taking a look at the pics i can see that the car is not in original condition. For example, the hood is different, the trunk is missing the GT badge, the rear spoiler is gone and GT driving lamps are placed closer together. Regardless of whether or not these aftermarket modifications make the car more appealing or not (not in my opinion) the bottom line is that the car is not in its original factory condition and that is something you can use to your advantage when bargaining cos the moment we replace something in a Stang with a different part no matter what performance or aesthetic advantage it may bring, the end result is that the car loses value. Some food for thought

#14 ·
kila07GT has a point, if you were still interested in that GT. It has an aftermarket cowl hood and hood pins, aftermarket Eleanor grille, aftermarket rims and center caps, and an aftermarket carbon fiber trunk with the faux gas cap removed. That's just aesthetics too. I'm sure the previous owner modded the engine too.

#31 ·
A modded Mustang bought from a dealer is almost never a good idea. You have no idea what else was done to it that you can't see, no idea who installed the parts and if they were an idiot or not etc... They probably paid next to nothing vs the actual value of it and are jacking the price hoping someone who falls in love with the car just pays the extra for the mods on it which is stupid but ppl do it.

$10k is as much as I would pay for that but personally, I would look for a stock one under 75k miles in that same price range. They are out there you just have to look and be willing to drive a few hours.

#32 ·
I agree, and they are definitely out there. I found even my 03 completely stock. Even stock exhaust.. I feel like finding a 05-09 stock would be a lot easier. I goin plenty when I was looking for a 05-09. I just decided not to go 10-13k into debt.

Plus the 2v sounds amazing. So much better than the 3v imo

#33 ·
If you've ever heard a hot cammed 3V you might change your mind.

#36 ·
While I agree with that fact that nothing compares to the sound of a V8, I see no point in the second part of your comment. Why bash V6 and autos? The new 6ers are no joke and automatic transmissions have come a long way. I know they aren't as fun, but they're fast.

#37 ·
The new 6'ers put out about the same power as the 3V lol, no reason to bash those, maybe the 10-down V6... As for bashing autos. Anyone who bashes an auto has never been to a dragstrip.

#46 ·
For the 2013 V6 owners

1. Install 3.73 rear end gears for better off the line acceleration. (requires an aftermarket tune to re calibrate the speedometer settings) Ford can only re-calibrate your computer for gears that were optional on your car. An aftermarket tune could cause warranty issues if they can prove that the tune caused your engine problems. Ford will install 3.31 gears and re calibrate your computer, but they will only cover your gears under a separate, shorter warranty, because your car did not leave the factory with the optional 3.31 gears. Each step up in gears will cost you in freeway gas mileage. 3.31 gears= 1 to 1.5 mpg less. 3.55 gears=1.5 to 2 mpg less. 3.73 gears= 2 to 3 mpg less.

2.Buy an aftermarket tuner, for more aggressive tuning, better shifting if you have an auto trans and it removes the 115mph speed limiter. This will allow the car to about 140 to 150 mph. Note: You might want to buy a one piece aluminum drive shaft if you plan on driving the car that fast. You will also need Z rated tires. Again, warrantee issues for obvious reasons.
3. Install CAI Cold Air Induction. Most aftermarket tuners can be purchased with tunes for CAI. Note: There aren't any California legal CAI kits for this car, yet. So, be prepared to switch back to the stock intake, every two years, to pass smog.
4. Install aftermarket headers and off road X pipes. Note: not legal in California.

The gears, aftermarket tuner and CAI should allow you to beat stock 2005 - 2009 GTs. You should make about 320hp to 330hp at the crank and the 3.73 gears will give you a good pull off the line.

#51 ·
:popcorn:

#61 ·
And the new v6's are Nothing to laugh at. My wife had a 12 3.7 for awhile. I was impressed. Alot more impressed then a stock 3v. I would take a 3.7 over another 3v if i cams across à good prices one.
Lol! I maybe new here but im not new to cars or Stangs. The reason im keepingy motor stock is for resale value so i can get a newer one. You may have a fully tuned newer Mustang 5.0 but its quite apparent that you suffer from a severe lack of knowledge in the technical department. Thats why i put up that little informational for ya. Hope your reading is better than your hearing mr. Rape.
Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#60 ·
Scotty i dont hate the 2v's. I had one as my first Mustang. They just take alot of $ and need boost or a bottle bad. I saw my cousin fight a loosing battle trying to do a NA 2v. They are by far the best sounding mustangs out there besided the 03/04 cobras. Im not going to lie Im not big on how the coyotes sound, They just do not have the mustang tone. I was disapointed when I got mine.

#68 · (Edited)
Scotty i dont hate the 2v's. I had one as my first Mustang. They just take alot of $ and need boost or a bottle bad. I saw my cousin fight a loosing battle trying to do a NA 2v. They are by far the best sounding mustangs out there besided the 03/04 cobras. Im not going to lie Im not big on how the coyotes sound, They just do not have the mustang tone. I was disapointed when I got mine.

No doubt they do take $$$. I just read a thread where a 11.8:1 5.0 stroker 2V with TFS heads and all the extras made around 393 to the wheels though and there is probably still another 20-30whp left in it with a little more tuning and a better set of headers. Still, you can just slap a blower on a stock 2V and make those numbers for way less money so yeah... they do need boost. Maybe if TFS or Edelbrock would finally release a legit 5.4L 2V intake we'd start seeing some bigger cube strokers though.

I can literally spend half of what you prob have and put you to shame because i know what im doing but you keep it up and dpend that money snd detonate your motor! �
Says everyone on the interwebs ever. He already has a built/fast car, you have a stock 3V. Fail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.