Questions on a Supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Questions on a Supercharger

I'm in high school and have a job that pays 7.75 a hour. I want to supercharge my v6 but on AmericanMuscle.com the cheapest one is like $4000 and I know that is how much a kit cost but would I save money buying everything separately or what should I do. I want power like a supercharger will add but it will take awhile to save up that much. I would sell my v6 to get a gt but my parents said I can't sell my car so I'm stuck. I have a 1998 v6 by the way. What should I do guys. It already has a lot of mods and running out things to do and still don't have the power I want..
SkylerTallman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylerTallman_ View Post
I'm in high school and have a job that pays 7.75 a hour. I want to supercharge my v6 but on AmericanMuscle.com the cheapest one is like $4000 and I know that is how much a kit cost but would I save money buying everything separately or what should I do. I want power like a supercharger will add but it will take awhile to save up that much. I would sell my v6 to get a gt but my parents said I can't sell my car so I'm stuck. I have a 1998 v6 by the way. What should I do guys. It already has a lot of mods and running out things to do and still don't have the power I want..
Save your money. Wait until you have a real high paying job and you can afford to order everything at once.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Questions on a Supercharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Save your money. Wait until you have a real high paying job and you can afford to order everything at once.

^^^ this. Even if you safely supercharge the car, there is always a chance it'll blow up. If it blows up, it will leave you with nothing. Better to be in a position to be able to fix it, than having it grenade and not be able to afford to fix it.

Instead, get all the bolt ons you can put on it. Have you done a PI swap? You cam do gears, full exhaust, and some suspension work, and it will feel like a new car.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
^^^ this. Even if you safely supercharge the car, there is always a chance it'll blow up. If it blows up, it will leave you with nothing. Better to be in a position to be able to fix it, than having it grenade and not be able to afford to fix it.

Instead, get all the bolt ons you can put on it. Have you done a PI swap? You cam do gears, full exhaust, and some suspension work, and it will feel like a new car.

He has a v6 no PI swap

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post

I have already done
-High out port heads (port and polished)
-long tube headers
-mild cam (up sized)
-stage 2 clutch
-tweaked transmission (2nd and 3rd are power gears)
-tempered steel gears
Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Ahhh, did not see this was the V6 section. So, everything else on the list as mentioned before. Gears will give you the best bang for the buck.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You drive the car as is, get yourself through college, get a decent job and then look at getting a car to mod. Not trying to be an *** but on that salary and likely a similar salary if you work during college you are going to barely have enough to fuel your weekends much less a $4k superhcharger. And that isn't even getting started on the supporting mods.

I've been car poor and that was with a decent paycheck as a 19/20 yr old, it sucks. Personally I would have got a nice 4 banger good on gas comfortable DD sedan instead of a highly suspect V6 that probably doesn't have half the mods the seller told you.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You drive the car as is, get yourself through college, get a decent job and then look at getting a car to mod. Not trying to be an *** but on that salary and likely a similar salary if you work during college you are going to barely have enough to fuel your weekends much less a $4k superhcharger. And that isn't even getting started on the supporting mods.

I've been car poor and that was with a decent paycheck as a 19/20 yr old, it sucks. Personally I would have got a nice 4 banger good on gas comfortable DD sedan instead of a highly suspect V6 that probably doesn't have half the mods the seller told you.

Why does everyone on here say it doesn't have those mods. My friend has a 98 v6 and my 98 v6 beats his everyday of the week. Obviously there is something done with the car so let me worry about that stuff. Not trying to be mean but you haven't even seen the car or drove it
Old 02-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I love your enthusiasm towards cars. I was the exact same way in high school! You just have to work with what you got, don't be ashamed that it's a 1998 V6. We all had to start somewhere!

Honestly, the kit price on the supercharger is going to save you more money than piecing everything together. If you're on a budget and can't necessarily afford the blower at this time, you can look into nitrous. It's a much cheaper option and will net similar power gains. Before jumping right to a power adder, what is your current mod list? If you don't already have full bolt-ons and some suspension mods, I wouldn't jump right into the power adders.

Let us know what you currently have done to your Sixxer and what your end goals are and we'll help you put together a solid plan!

Hope this helps.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
I love your enthusiasm towards cars. I was the exact same way in high school! You just have to work with what you got, don't be ashamed that it's a 1998 V6. We all had to start somewhere!

Honestly, the kit price on the supercharger is going to save you more money than piecing everything together. If you're on a budget and can't necessarily afford the blower at this time, you can look into nitrous. It's a much cheaper option and will net similar power gains. Before jumping right to a power adder, what is your current mod list? If you don't already have full bolt-ons and some suspension mods, I wouldn't jump right into the power adders.

Let us know what you currently have done to your Sixxer and what your end goals are and we'll help you put together a solid plan!

Hope this helps.

-Dan

Here is the mod list.
-High out port heads (port and polished)
-long tube headers
-mild cam (up sized)
-stage 2 clutch
-tweaked transmission (2nd and 3rd are power gears)
-tempered steel gears
Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
It looks like you have already done quite a bit to the car. If you did the work yourself, you have a lot to be proud of. And I suspect that you have a decent shop setup to use. One thing that you could consider is finding out what would be involved with installing a 3v 4.6L engine. You may be able to find one as a rebuilt or salvage. Blowers are nice, but it could hurt the resale value. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, getting a 4.6 will give you a lot more time to explore what you can do. You probably will need the Ford Racing control pack which may be the most expensive part at $1400.

My personal advice is to wait on any major mods, but that is not what you asked for, so enjoy.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Why does everyone on here say it doesn't have those mods. My friend has a 98 v6 and my 98 v6 beats his everyday of the week. Obviously there is something done with the car so let me worry about that stuff. Not trying to be mean but you haven't even seen the car or drove it
The "2nd and 3rd power gear" is not a real thing which points to the seller not knowing wtf he is talking about. You beat the other car because you have rear gears. Now you are asking if you can afford the initial cost and upkeep of a sueprcharged car on $8/hr. I'm not trying to be mean either I'm telling you that I have been there and done that and its not worth it, not where you are right now.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
It looks like you have already done quite a bit to the car. If you did the work yourself, you have a lot to be proud of. And I suspect that you have a decent shop setup to use. One thing that you could consider is finding out what would be involved with installing a 3v 4.6L engine. You may be able to find one as a rebuilt or salvage. Blowers are nice, but it could hurt the resale value. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, getting a 4.6 will give you a lot more time to explore what you can do. You probably will need the Ford Racing control pack which may be the most expensive part at $1400.

My personal advice is to wait on any major mods, but that is not what you asked for, so enjoy.

What kind of 4.6 engine? Like out of any car or truck or just a gt engine swap?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The "2nd and 3rd power gear" is not a real thing which points to the seller not knowing wtf he is talking about. You beat the other car because you have rear gears. Now you are asking if you can afford the initial cost and upkeep of a sueprcharged car on $8/hr. I'm not trying to be mean either I'm telling you that I have been there and done that and its not worth it, not where you are right now.

I'm not talking about the $8 a hour thing. I know that it will be hard to get the big mods. It's just a lot of people on here have said talked about the stuff already on the car.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I'm not talking about the $8 a hour thing. I know that it will be hard to get the big mods. It's just a lot of people on here have said talked about the stuff already on the car.
It must be "GREAT" to be Young again and KNOW Everything!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The 4.6 3v was in several vehicles. It should be fairly easy to locate one. The 2v and 4v are probably the less desirable models. Try looking at the following vehicles.

The 3-valve SOHC 4.6 L with variable camshaft timing (VCT) first appeared in the redesigned 2005 Ford Mustang.
The engines are equipped with an electronic Charge Motion Control Valve (CMCV) system that provides increased air velocity at low engine speeds for improved emissions and low-rpm torque. Cylinder block material varies between aluminum used in the 2005+ Mustang GT and cast iron used in the 2006+ Ford Explorer and the 2007+ Ford Explorer Sport Trac (see below), though the same aluminum heads are used in all applications.[citation needed]
The 3-valve SOHC 4.6 L engine was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2005–2008.
Vehicles equipped with the 24-valve SOHC VCT 4.6 L include the following:
2005–2009 Ford Mustang, 300 hp (224 kW) and 320 lb·ft (433 N·m)
2006–2010 Ford Explorer, 292 hp (218 kW) and 315 lb·ft (427 N·m)
2007–2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 292 hp (218 kW) and 315 lb·ft (427 N·m)
2009–2010 Ford F-Series, 292 hp (218 kW) and 320 lb·ft (433 N·m)
2010 Ford Mustang, 315 hp (235 kW) and 325 lb·ft (440 N·m)
2006–2010 Mercury Mountaineer, 292 hp (218 kW) and 315 lb·ft (427 N·m
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
The 4.6 3v was in several vehicles. It should be fairly easy to locate one. The 2v and 4v are probably the less desirable models. Try looking at the following vehicles.

The 3-valve SOHC 4.6 L with variable camshaft timing (VCT) first appeared in the redesigned 2005 Ford Mustang.
The engines are equipped with an electronic Charge Motion Control Valve (CMCV) system that provides increased air velocity at low engine speeds for improved emissions and low-rpm torque. Cylinder block material varies between aluminum used in the 2005+ Mustang GT and cast iron used in the 2006+ Ford Explorer and the 2007+ Ford Explorer Sport Trac (see below), though the same aluminum heads are used in all applications.[citation needed]
The 3-valve SOHC 4.6 L engine was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2005–2008.
Vehicles equipped with the 24-valve SOHC VCT 4.6 L include the following:
2005–2009 Ford Mustang, 300 hp (224 kW) and 320 lb·ft (433 N·m)
2006–2010 Ford Explorer, 292 hp (218 kW) and 315 lb·ft (427 N·m)
2007–2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 292 hp (218 kW) and 315 lb·ft (427 N·m)
2009–2010 Ford F-Series, 292 hp (218 kW) and 320 lb·ft (433 N·m)
2010 Ford Mustang, 315 hp (235 kW) and 325 lb·ft (440 N·m)
2006–2010 Mercury Mountaineer, 292 hp (218 kW) and 315 lb·ft (427 N·m
3V swaps are great and all bit they aren't worth having to buy the control pack and other bits when a 4V is much easier to drop in
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
It must be "GREAT" to be Young again and KNOW Everything!

Dude, please shut up because this is obliviously MY car and I said nothing about knowing everything so... And this thread is suppose to be about a supercharger and not about what you can do to try to feel superior to a YOUNG person that knows EVERYTHING.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Dude, please shut up because this is obliviously MY car and I said nothing about knowing everything so... And this thread is suppose to be about a supercharger and not about what you can do to try to feel superior to a YOUNG person that knows EVERYTHING.
Idk where this thread went wrong, but all they are saying is save your money. Which is good advice. Also remember that if you do get a supercharger when it comes time to sell the value isn't going to go up really any... So if ur car is worth 4k and you spend 4k on a supercharger, you may get 42-4300 for it.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
Idk where this thread went wrong, but all they are saying is save your money. Which is good advice. Also remember that if you do get a supercharger when it comes time to sell the value isn't going to go up really any... So if ur car is worth 4k and you spend 4k on a supercharger, you may get 42-4300 for it.

Thanks man, and thanks for the advice everyone. I think I decided now I will work on the exterior to make it look as new and clean as possible.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Thanks man, and thanks for the advice everyone. I think I decided now I will work on the exterior to make it look as new and clean as possible.
That shouldn't be too hard, new edges already look extremely sexy

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion