A Mustang that you DO NOT WANT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to olds442111
A Mustang that you DO NOT WANT

Perhaps this will save someone a lot of disappointment.
This car was bought by a friend. Having around 15,000 miles on it, and driving well on the test drive gives me no reason to question the car to the point of putting it in the air prior to buying it. But within 50 miles of taking it home, it's shady past starts to reveal itself.
My friend just got home from a year deployment and always wanted a Mustang GT. So after a bunch of looking around, this 2012 GT finds us.
Day 1) Its 30 degrees outside. Car is driven for a test, runs well, drives well, no MIL or any other lights on. Carfax is clean. Car is purchased. Car is driven home that evening, which is about 10 miles away. Car leaves to go show a friend, and TPMS failure comes on, followed by check engine light. Photos are taken. Car returns to selling dealership the following morning. Dealership calls the next morning, and states that the wheels have no sensors in them, and that they fixed the check engine light under warranty, as it was an o-ring on the crank sensor. Odd, as I scanned the car prior to dropping it off and it was throwing a code for Bank 2 catalyst below efficiency threshold. Dealership sucks up the cost of the TPMS sensors, installs them, and the car is ready to be picked up. Car is picked up that evening from the dealership, and it once again leaves to go show a friend, but doesn't make it there without the check engine light coming back on. Scanned the car again, and same code is set.
Round 2 at the dealership, but this time, taken to another dealership where the service dept. is far more trustworthy, in my opinion, as I'm friends with several service employees. The next morning I get a call from the dealership asking me if I have time to come down and look at the car. I explain that I really don't care to, as it's under warranty, so just fix it. My friend at the dealership replies with " no, you need to come by here." So off I go to the dealership, and when I arrive, the car is still in the air. The technician who is working on the car hands me his flashlight and we walk under the car, where I am showed that 1 bolt that hold the trans to the engine is missing, 2 are backed out, and the rest are tight. While under there, he shows me the wiring harness that has been attached to a boss on the trans using zip ties, a mangled O2 sensor on Bank 1 ( not setting a code, don't know how though), and then the O2 sensor on bank 2, where the code is coming from, that was unplugged. The reason it's unplugged is because the retaining clip is broken. When I question what is all of this mess under here, the service writer produces OASIS on the car. For those unfamiliar, OASIS is Ford's system of tracking the car from the day it's built, including warranty repairs. REMINDER - this car is now displaying roughly 15,000 miles on the odometer.

OASIS report- at 6500 miles the transmission was removed and rebuilt.....at 8600 miles the car was knocking and the short block was replaced under warranty.....and various other claims went along with this. The customer was in a rental car for over 45 days throughout these various repairs. Also forgot to mention that when the car was bought, it was 30 degrees, but being south Louisiana, the weather changed and on the final service visit, I added to the service ticket that the A/C wasn't cooling, as it was 72 degrees out and not a bit of cold air was coming out. The tech showed me where the green dye was dumping out of the compressor front seal. All of these service visits by the previous owner were at a Ford dealership in New Orleans. That's where the butchering went down at. I thanked them profusely for taking the time to shed light on this cars past, and asked that they just put the car outside, and laughingly told them that the car was likely never going to leave with me or my friend driving it.

I left....next stop was the selling dealer. I explained the whole situation to them, showed them the OASIS report, at which time they offered to pay the other dealership to make the needed repairs. I declined this offer, and explained the situation as " these are the things I can see now, but who knows what else remains hidden , such as heads torqued properly, clutch bolts falling out next etc, and in a few months, this baby is ours to deal with". They understood and without hesitation, agreed to buy the car back. They cut me a check on the spot for the money that was put down. They also revealed to me that they had bought the car from a wholesaler. Further investigation showed that the car, in the last 8 months, has only racked up about 200 miles on it. From what I could tell while talking with the salespeople, the car has been bouncing from wholesaler to wholesaler for many months.

I told them I was going to visit the car one last time to retrieve my friends personal items from it, and if they liked, they were welcome to send someone along with me to get the car. They sent a porter with me who picked the car up and we haven't seen it since. My buddy has bought another car since then, which is a nicer model ( the 1st was not a premium )( and you best believe I ran OASIS on it before that purchase ever happened. The new car had never had a single warranty claim, and appeared to have been female owned, as there was a random long hair and glitter in the car.

In all fairness, from a sales view, every dealer was kind to us, and the 1st car selling dealer was very right in making the deal that was sour, right. The second servicing dealer went out of their way to show us things that the first was apparently not wishing to reveal. The 3rd dealer, which sold him the new 'Stang, was awesome.
All's well that ends well, but buyers, stay the hell away from this thing!
VIN # 1ZVBP8CF9C5268939
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Soo it was a gift for your friend and you paid for it? Cause if he paid for it they shouldnt have wrote you a check...
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Wow, sounds like quite the hassle! Thanks for the good read!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clflorida View Post
Soo it was a gift for your friend and you paid for it? Cause if he paid for it they shouldnt have wrote you a check...
You're picking this apart. They cut the check to him, handed it to me.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Sounds like a damn nightmare!

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It was. Fortunately I was off and able to handle all of this while he was working 7 12's in the plants.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I always worry about stuff like this, especially since I don't ever buy a car new off the lot. Good to know about that OASIS report. Don't know if I saw one for mine when I bought it.
izzygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Wow that sounds like a nightmare but good thing everything worked out. I too fear when buying used since my cars are rather old. One thing to be grateful about that you didn't get it off some random person on craigslist
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly. It all worked out well, and hes enjoying his new ( to him ) car and it's treating him well.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Always best practice to run an OASIS on any newer Ford you buy or most definitely on any Powerstroke.

The only thing I can say that probably should have happened is you guys could have had the first car put up on a lift at the first dealer to inspect the underside. One look under there could have saved all the headache but at least it worked out in the end.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Would have been a good idea in hindsight but I don't typically do that on such a new low mileage vehicle. I will in the future
Old 02-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

I always ask if its at a dealer. If they have a problem with it I leave and look elsewhere.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It's definitely a good idea. Just never thought it would come to that on that new of a vehicle, and my mindset was fairly simple. If something goes wrong, it's under warranty. Had no clue that it had been through a terror of warranty repairs that were done so poorly. Learn something new every day I suppose.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
seems to be on the market again: Used 2012 Ford Mustang GT Coupe in Hammond, LA near 70401 | 1ZVBP8CF9C5268939 | Auto.com

LOL some poor sap is screwed! Someone should offer 10K for it.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
seems to be on the market again: Used 2012 Ford Mustang GT Coupe in Hammond, LA near 70401 | 1ZVBP8CF9C5268939 | Auto.com

Yeah, I saw that it wasn't gone yet and still up for sale. Sad part is that Ford has already paid the claim, and they aren't going to pay for repairs that were done incorrectly by a rotten tech. So the poor proud owner is going to get screwed when it comes time to start addressing the issues that arise. And there are many.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Jeez... well there are lemon laws but that is just sad. I mean... it might be worth like $15k to a buyer who knows wtf is up and goes in there and lets them know he/she knows wtf is up. Engine knocking, that was likely a #8 cylinder issue and replaced with a hopefully 2013 engine. Trans... well that is well documented. AC compressor could have been dropped by the dip**** who originally did the warranty work etc... I'm sure if one was to get this thing for the right $$$ amount it is the perfect donor car for an older Mustang. But you are right about being worried about how the clutch was put in and god knows what else. And this is why I don't trust mechanics. At the end of the day its not their car and if something gets a little goobered up... wel 90% of the population will never even open their hood so w/e.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Actually, according to the warranty claims I read, it spun a bearing on #5. The car just had a really tough life apparently. Whoever had it was merciless on it.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Oof, well I'm not sure what other issues show up on the OASIS but for someone competent with cars and a decent tool setup might be able to get themselves a Coyote for dirt cheap if they go in armed with the OASIS and lowball the **** out of it. But they'd for sure want to pull the trans, inspect everything in the clutch area, go through all the accessories and check all connections/hoses/sensors etc... That's all I'm saying. However, if I was in your guys' shoes I would have done the same thing, make them buy it back and go get a nicer car with a warranty that hasn't been wrecked by some jackass tech and just enjoy it.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
that's crazy!!!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
So, only a dealer can run and provide you with an OASIS report? I did some IE searching, and several folks state they can do it for you. I assume they are Ford employees?

I also saw mention that this existed at one time on the Ford web site, and that it was good for 10 years back. However, I don't think it's on the Ford website anymore, as it could contain prior owners personal information?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
So, only a dealer can run and provide you with an OASIS report? I did some IE searching, and several folks state they can do it for you. I suume they are Ford employees?

I also saw mention that this existed at one time on the Ford web site, and that it was good for 10 years back. However, I don't think it's on the Ford website anymore, as it could contain prior owners personal information?
Yupp, its an internal ford report. Very nice thing to check on a newer used car.

Sent from my massive johnson.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

And a dealer has no reason not to run it and show it to you, if requested, unless theres something to hide
Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yup, if you ask for it and they say they don't do that sort of thing that's something else to use to leverage on them. I've learned the hard way that you have to be a complete ******** when it comes to buying cars from a dealer. And from a private party to a lesser extent... Although honestly if I was to start looking at a newer S197 Mustang I would probably get it from a regular poster on one of the bigger Mustang boards I belong to. That way you can see the history of it and look at the person's posts to tell if they are an idiot/boy racer/whatever beforehand.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. I'll do it from now on. I can assure you of that.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That sounds like one pony that should be shot and put out of its misery .
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, they need to drag it into the weeds and let it rot.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Well this was a hell of a read, that's a terrible situation for anyone to have to deal with. What did your friend end up getting, any pics?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, he is on here now. KrisRaceRedGT
Old 03-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Wow really good read, I ran the OASIS before buying mine. My Uncle is the head of the service department at a big dealer. So I was lucky. Glad this worked out for y'all.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Being a Ford tech in the past, I knew well about OASIS, but really just didn't see a reason to get so technical on such a young car. That'll never happen again
Old 03-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds442111 View Post
Being a Ford tech in the past, I knew well about OASIS, but really just didn't see a reason to get so technical on such a young car. That'll never happen again
If you aren't the first owner you have no clue what sort of jackass had it before you. I hate to sound so cynical but you have to always hope for the best but assume the absolute worst. Eh, it all worked out tho.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Destination S19
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post

Funny, I was just at Bill Hood Ford last Friday.

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Destination S19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination S19 View Post
Funny, I was just at Bill Hood Ford last Friday.
was it there?
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Destination S19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
was it there?
Yep, it's there.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...BP8CF9C5268939

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Destination S19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination S19 View Post
That carfax should scare any competent buyers away IMO. "Maintenance Performed" that many times is a big red flag and now especially that it was sold and then is right back up for sale shows that someone got it and then it wound up right back for sale at the dealer which means buyback. Walk in with the OASIS and this Carfax and I bet you could get it at wholesale cost if you wanted it for a donor and parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion