Mustang Evolution Forum banner

DIY or pay the note

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  89GTstanger 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So I finally found the right part to replace my convertivle top. I was going to try and do it myself to avoid a $90/hour repair bill. I found one guide online and it said 8-12 hour home installation time... Is there a faster way, or should I suck it up and have them do it?

I'm replacing the top, rear window curtain and glass, and both cylinders.

#3 ·
+1

I would rather just pay to have someone do a convertible top. If you end up ruining something or it doesn't look or work right when you are done, you've just wasted that money and will be paying someone else to do it all over again.

#5 ·
No easy way. See if you can stick around during install and lend a hand/learn. Some shops won't mind.

Sent from my massive johnson.

#9 ·
Maybe you need to talk to a classic auto restoration shop and see who they recommend. They aren't going to send classic cars they are restoring out to someone who is going to do a bad job. I just did a quick search and it looks like there are quite a few convertible top places listed around your area, so there has to be some choices. But make sure you go to one with a good reputation.

#11 ·
DIY, learn something new, save $hundreds, make sure its done right the first time. Vert tops are a ***** but nothing someone with mechanical experience can't handle.

#12 ·
I would just do, but I have done it before. Its more that an 8-12 hour install tho. Chalk up a whole weekend to do it and do it correctly. Its not an easy install but if you pay close attention to the removal and read the instructions a few times you can do it. It will save you a lot of money also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.