Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Just my luck

914 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Adogg 
#1 ·
So the other day I checked the code in my door panel and my car has 2.73. How bad are these gears? I'm thinking better gears are even more important now. Jumping to 3.73 or 4.10 to much of a jump?

#2 ·
Your car is pretty old. Don't go by a label on the door. Check the rear differential for a label or use the technique explained in another thread about rotating the wheel once and counting how many time the driveshaft turns. Someone could have swapped your gears out years ago.

#3 ·
I swapped out my 327 to 373 and it was awesome and I love it!!:)

#6 ·
2.73 is the lowest ratio gear to come in these cars. Being a 5.0 you have a little more low end than a 4.6 but its still not great. Most ppl swap them right out. I'd recommend 3.73s for a 5.0 pushrod, will feel like a totally different vehicle. Just make sure you get a speedcal too or your speedometer will not read correctly. And before you ask, no you can't just change gears. You have an 8 tooth drive gear, the highest you can compensate for is 3.27s so a speedcal is required.

#7 ·
Thanks man I can't wait to get them, but yes I knew about the speedcal I have been doing a lot of research of his upgrade. Where is the best place to get a speedcal from as in price and shipping.

#8 ·
I'd just get it direct from Dallas. They'll set it up for you and everything. They're easy to wire in too, ppl who have issues with them probably have issues making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.