ever trade cars? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
ever trade cars?

I love cars, all cars... ok, most, lol. I recently swapped my 2013 5.0 with my girlfriends son's friend. he has a 2014 Porsche Cayman. We both wanted to see how we like the other. After about an hour I have to say I LOVED the handling but the PDK and launch control and various modes... lets just say I did not feel like me and the car were working together or really like i was driving. great, beautiful comfortable car but I will definitely keep my Mustang. Anyone else have similar experiences
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131229-00709.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	148899  
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I would love to get access to someones Porsche' for an hour or so! In the 39 years of driving, I've never been behind the wheel of one. You're a lucky guy. The most "exotic" car I've driven/owned was a 94 Vette. I owned several vettes in my time, the best being a '61, all original Bloomington 'survivor". After getting hit at a show for not having the correct gas cap, and spending 80 bucks for a used one (back in the early 80's), I sold that one and bought the 94 vette. It was fast, and pretty, but it's quality control and cheapness interior had me selling it off in just over a year.

I went into BMW's for awhile (wife still has one). Her best was a BMW 645. That was a sweet ride, but after the warranty ran out, and it got to just over 100K miles, the repairs began to eat our bank account.

I don't have any friends with a Porsche that would want to trade for an hour, but I'm still looking!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
opinion only the Cayman is one of the most beautiful cars ever. When I was looking for my toy I called the Porsche dealer asking on their prices on used ones. Needless to say I bought a base model V6 Stang. It ain't as pretty but If it ever needs something I can't fix myself at least I can afford a Ford Tech as opposed to Heinrich that gets paid $275.00 per hour just to change the oil.
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Being at the ripe age of 21 I don't have many friends with fast cars, but I got to trade cars with a buddy who has a nodded WRX (about 300whp). I enjoyed driving it but could not get a smooth take off to save my life. It did help solidify my dislike of driving turbo 4 cylinder cars though. My buddy absolutely loved having a bit of torque to play around with though.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I would love to get access to someones Porsche' for an hour or so! In the 39 years of driving, I've never been behind the wheel of one. You're a lucky guy. The most "exotic" car I've driven/owned was a 94 Vette. I owned several vettes in my time, the best being a '61, all original Bloomington 'survivor". After getting hit at a show for not having the correct gas cap, and spending 80 bucks for a used one (back in the early 80's), I sold that one and bought the 94 vette. It was fast, and pretty, but it's quality control and cheapness interior had me selling it off in just over a year.

I went into BMW's for awhile (wife still has one). Her best was a BMW 645. That was a sweet ride, but after the warranty ran out, and it got to just over 100K miles, the repairs began to eat our bank account.

I don't have any friends with a Porsche that would want to trade for an hour, but I'm still looking!
Like the old vets. My buddy had a 93 and I got to drive that, back in late 90's and at the time it was the fastest thing I had ever drove. Loved it.
BMW 645 is a sweet car. friend had one but I only got the passenger seat in that one. The one thing I will say is that thing was like driving a town car for comfort yet sport car handling and acceleration.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
ever trade cars?

I've had a number of different cars including an E60 M5,E46 M3,40 year anniversary 911(2004), and a Porsche caymen. I now have a 2013 mustang gt which I love. The only mod I made was swapping out the gearbox for the MGW which is a must. While I loved all of my cars I wouldn't trade them for my stang when all is said and done. They just weren't worth the money to be perfectly honest. The only car I dearly miss is the 911 but when you factor in cost I have more fun in the 5.0. Those higher price cars just weren't worth the money to me. I think us car guys should really be thankful to Ford for making such a great affordable performance car.
Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
My father in law has a 2014 Corvette Stingray. Looking to drive it, unfortunately he lives in Toronto and we don't get up there much during the nice months. I love my Mustang, but that car is nice.
izzygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
ever trade cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzygod View Post
My father in law has a 2014 Corvette Stingray. Looking to drive it, unfortunately he lives in Toronto and we don't get up there much during the nice months. I love my Mustang, but that car is nice.

The 2014 Stingray is one awesome car. If we hadn't already bought my GT before I found out about it, I'd still be saving money to put a nice downpayment on one.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post

The 2014 Stingray is one awesome car. If we hadn't already bought my GT before I found out about it, I'd still be saving money to put a nice downpayment on one.
Lol

Anyways my uncle let me drive his 911 turbo around his neighborhood, he gas no use for my stang hahaha and it was fun, but I hate the look of Porsche headlights. I have no idea why but it reminds me some of sort of cartoon car

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
GT owner, Impressions of the V6 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forums

the above is a link to where I got to trade for a few hours my V6 Perf pack with another guys GT. It ain't till page 4 or so we do so you do have to go through some BS first. As a side note this was the precursor to the Club Mud cruises that me and GT have in spring/fall for folks in New England. If you do bother to read it note where I almost rear end my own car....
Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Iv never done it butt been talking about switching cars for a couple days summertime . My best friend has a gto 6.0 orange and I love that car .we will swap briefly soon one day . I'll tell ya how it goes
Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393514377.145076.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	762.8 KB
ID:	149141
Old 02-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Drove a buddy's 2012 Camaro SS. That much power is pretty intoxicating for a V6 owner like me. Haha
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I switch out cars/bikes and quads with my friends and family all the time.

I've traded my friends for weeks at a time with some pretty nice cars.

Some notable cars I have traded (a day or more) for include a bolt on/tune SRT10 Ram (6spd, single cab), a H/C/I C5 Z06, tuned C6 Z06, pulley/tuned 2012 GT500, bolt on/cam'd 2011 Camaro SS, supercharged 09 Mustang GT, E46 M3, 95 Viper RT/10, 350/370Z, SRT6 Crossfire, 6.1L SRT8 300C and a few others.

I don't think I have ever initiated a trade. Oddly enough, most of the owners of those cars wanted to drive either my old E55 AMG or Mazdaspeed MX5, only a few times have they wanted to trade for the Z28. Also, while the list looks impressive, all of those cars have been owned by 4 close friends.

Out of all of those cars, the C6 Z06, SRT10 Ram and SRT8 300C were the most impressive. If the fuel mileage wasn't horrible (14 MPG), I would own an SRT10 Ram, it was a very impressive, fun to drive truck.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
How did you like the E46 M3? I know out of all those cars why that one but I think they are one of the most beautiful cars of all time.

Oh, have you ever seen or driven in an E36 M3 with a LSx swap? Kits are out there, its pretty plug and play and that seems like it might be an all time win with all that you get. Yeah 90s interior is a little dated but it still a latemodel BMW. If they come out (or have come out) with a E46 LSx swap I might sell my Mustang and find a blown motor E46. Seriously.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
How did you like the E46 M3? I know out of all those cars why that one but I think they are one of the most beautiful cars of all time.

Oh, have you ever seen or driven in an E36 M3 with a LSx swap? Kits are out there, its pretty plug and play and that seems like it might be an all time win with all that you get. Yeah 90s interior is a little dated but it still a latemodel BMW. If they come out (or have come out) with a E46 LSx swap I might sell my Mustang and find a blown motor E46. Seriously.
I thought the E36 was a decent car, nothing special. The engine reminded me of an S2000, just with more power and it sounded much better. I have to say, I don't care for the ride or quality of any BMW I have ever been in. If you are looking for something in this range, either an AMG MB or a CTS-V is a much better car.

When searching for a new car, I seriously eyed a 1M or 335i. I couldn't get over how terrible and clunky the cars felt. All I have ever heard about BMW is how nice they are, but they aren't. I much preferred my old E55 AMG to any BMW I have ever been in, just a much nicer, more solid car.

As for the LSx swaps, I know of a guy who built one, then sold it for a hefty profit. I have been in several LSx swapped cars, ranging from an MX5 (miata), S2000, several 240sx and RX7s, to a few Fox, SN95/197 cars. Of those, the best would have to be either the 240 or RX7's.

After I buy a plane (in a few years), I plan on building an FD (93-95) RX7 with an LS7.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Buy a plane wtf? Lol, I actually would like to do that someday too and I can do all my own work being A&P certified.

I do love me a FD RX7 with the LSx swap too, just the cost of getting a clean roller is getting ridiculous... The FCs are a dime a dozen though it seems and when all is said and done they are right up there performance wise. You just need to deal with the 80s styling...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion