Ford Dropping Microsoft SYNC for Blackberry - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Maryland
Ford Dropping Microsoft SYNC for Blackberry

Ford dumping Microsoft to sync with BlackBerry

Read it and weep. I have had my Mustang since September and have already had to take it to Ford because SYNC has F-ed up and needed to be uninstalled/reinstalled. I personally understand why they'd get rid of SYNC, since it's dragging Ford's reliability ratings down. But...for the love of god...why replace Microsoft with Blackberry? Is Ford trying to polish a turd?

2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Florida
I really don't see this being a good tradeoff. I don't care for either one. My sync system always seems to be doing battle with my iPod to the point it's ridiculous.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app

air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Technically it's QNX, not really Blackberry. They just bought it 4 years ago. QNX is used in lots of stuff
Shuvool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
Region: New Jersey
If you've ever used the new BB operating system (OS10) you might sing a different tune. We have Z10s at work and I think BB did a really bad job marketing these things, they are pretty nice and the Z30 is great too. Not the highest tech specs but everything works well, is intuitive, smooth, there are plenty of apps contrary to popular belief and they are well built. I think this move is good for Ford and just might be the first toehold BB gets into bringing their name back.

Honestly I was seriously considering a Z30 for my own personal phone but the lack of root access swayed me to a LG G2. That and when I asked on Crackberry if there was a root method I got treated like I shot someone's dog... Also telling me that rooting was illegal when its already been ruled in court that it isn't but w/e. Regardless if the new Ford in car stuff is based on BB OS10 look for it to be a winner.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Oklahoma
I would have preferred that they went with the Apple mobile OS, but the QNX is a decent choice. It is understandable that Ford went with Microsoft when they first did Sync. The trouble is that at the time, Microsoft still had influence to convince Ford. You have to remember that when Sync came out in 2007, it was the same year the iPhone first made its appearance. The iPhone was panned by the critics, but has turned the industry upside down. Little could Ford know that Microsoft was losing control of its stranglehold, and that Apple would be the name for mobile applications.
2013 MCA Edition-Sterling Grey
Roush body kit - Splitters/hood scoop
Whiteline suspension w/Koni shocks
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion