Staggered wheel problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Staggered wheel problems

I just recently put some leguca seca replicas on, 19x9 in the front and 19x10 in the rear wrapped in Michelin AS 3 275/40/19 all around. I went with the 275s all around cause I got a pretty good deal on 4 of them. Got them mounted balanced and put on at a shop right next to work out of convenience and noticed the ride went to crap and there was a vibration. Took it to a different shop who usual takes care of my tires and all the wheels but one were off balance. They were off between .25-1 ounces. Now I noticed it rides a little better but there still seems to be a vibration noticeably mainly at highway speeds. I think it has to be the wheels and tires because the stock wheels and tires never had near the ride discomfort. Since they've been balanced twice, I have no idea what to do. Any help?
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Did you have it realigned after the balancing? Were the stock wheels 19s? Once they are balanced they are balanced, but there could be an alignment or front end suspension compensation that only manifest itself at higher speeds. Are they mild vibrations in the steering or make the whole car shake?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Alignment really won't contribute to the vibrations but I had it initially balanced. Then aligned. Then rebalanced twice. Took it in again yesterday and had the guy ride with me to pin this thing down. Seemed to be coming from the rear cause the vibration was mainly felt in the seats. They 've balanced the rears again and they were both off by a quarter of an ounce. Seemed to drive smooth and right afterwards...best it's felt since I've had the new wheels and tires on. Well see how it does this weekend cause I've got and hour and a half trip to St Louis.

I know the vibration has something to do with the new wheels and tires because I never felt it with the stockers. If the vibration comes back the tire shop will unmount the tires and test the rims to see if they're outta whack. If the rims are fine it's probably a tire problem and I'll have to get on the phone with Michelin. Hopefully I dont have to take it that far
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Glad it's better, mine was an issue of alignment. Can't rule out all possibilities. New wheels and tires cause it to sit different and can throw things out of wack. I agree though, hopefully you won't have to call the tire guys
Old 02-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Are they using stocky weights or are they just hammered them onto the outside lip? I have had issues with sticky weights not sticking on new rims after I've balanced them. But usually they pop off when I'm trying to mount them back onto the car.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post
Alignment really won't contribute to the vibrations but I had it initially balanced. Then aligned. Then rebalanced twice. Took it in again yesterday and had the guy ride with me to pin this thing down. Seemed to be coming from the rear cause the vibration was mainly felt in the seats. They 've balanced the rears again and they were both off by a quarter of an ounce. Seemed to drive smooth and right afterwards...best it's felt since I've had the new wheels and tires on. Well see how it does this weekend cause I've got and hour and a half trip to St Louis.

I know the vibration has something to do with the new wheels and tires because I never felt it with the stockers. If the vibration comes back the tire shop will unmount the tires and test the rims to see if they're outta whack. If the rims are fine it's probably a tire problem and I'll have to get on the phone with Michelin. Hopefully I dont have to take it that far
I hope you only paid for one balance and in any event, find another shop. If it takes them 3 tries to balance a set of wheels they probably shouldn't be touching anyone's vehicle...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion