Ok, for those ppl messaging me about how I do oil for $30 still - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Ok, for those ppl messaging me about how I do oil for $30 still

For the two ppl and everyone else who messaged me about what oil I use and how I do it so cheap, here is the rundown at my local Wal Mart's prices.

Quarts are $5

Or

Quarts are also $5

Or you can get M1 for $26 for the same jug but its like $8 for the quarts.

WIX filter for $6.50

I'm now at $29.50 before taxes and it takes me 20 minutes start to finish to do the oil for free vs having minimum wage labor do my oil.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to olds442111
Problem is I need 8 quarts of that stuff
And where's the oil at for under 18 bucks for 1.25 gallons?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

AH, Wal-Mart. Sorry, I didn't notice the Super Tech
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

I mentioned Wal Mart in the top of the thread too lol. For 8 quarts just get 2 jugs and leave 2 quarts leftover in one of the jugs for top offs. Still going to be well under $50.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
For the two ppl and everyone else who messaged me about what oil I use and how I do it so cheap, here is the rundown at my local Wal Mart's prices.

Quarts are $5

Or

Quarts are also $5

Or you can get M1 for $26 for the same jug but its like $8 for the quarts.

WIX filter for $6.50

I'm now at $29.50 before taxes and it takes me 20 minutes start to finish to do the oil for free vs having minimum wage labor do my oil.
Lmao. Bro, I use the Super tech fully synthetic oil as well. Its great oil for the price. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can't beat it, not for the price. I started doing a LOT of research on this stuff when it I first saw it at Wal Mart in the mid 2000s and according to bobistheoil guy its right up there with the rest of them. Its a high level Tier III oil vs a Tier IV like M1 but its damn close.

But like I said they also have 5 qt jugs of M1 for $26 which is pretty crazy for those wanting to put a very top of the line oil in the car that isn't going to be the price of Amsoil or M1 with food coloring... er... RP.

Only bad thing about oil at Wal Mart is the word has been out on the Super Tech, at least around here. Has been for awhile and its hard to find it in stock. Most times I go I'm lucky to find 5w-30 (was none last night) and this is one of the only times I've found a 5w-20 jug of ST. Motorcraft oil is usually in stock though and one can always ask a worker when they re-stock the oil and just go then.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can't beat it, not for the price. I started doing a LOT of research on this stuff when it I first saw it at Wal Mart in the mid 2000s and according to bobistheoil guy its right up there with the rest of them. Its a high level Tier III oil vs a Tier IV like M1 but its damn close.

But like I said they also have 5 qt jugs of M1 for $26 which is pretty crazy for those wanting to put a very top of the line oil in the car that isn't going to be the price of Amsoil or M1 with food coloring... er... RP.

Only bad thing about oil at Wal Mart is the word has been out on the Super Tech, at least around here. Has been for awhile and its hard to find it in stock. Most times I go I'm lucky to find 5w-30 (was none last night) and this is one of the only times I've found a 5w-20 jug of ST. Motorcraft oil is usually in stock though and one can always ask a worker when they re-stock the oil and just go then.
Under 18 bucks for a 5 quarts. That's great. Do love me some fully synthetic super tech.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, it was late and I was cross-eyed apparently
Old 03-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I never even noticed that SuperTech synthetic before. I don't normally use the full synthetic.
That looks like a great deal!

Surely, Walmart doesn't have a synthetic oil laboratory somewhere, where they're using Chinese children to manufacture the oil... Hmmm. Or DO they?
They must get the oil from a well known brand, in bulk.
I wonder which one?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I never even noticed that SuperTech synthetic before. I don't normally use the full synthetic.
That looks like a great deal!

Surely, Walmart doesn't have a synthetic oil laboratory somewhere, where they're using Chinese children to manufacture the oil... Hmmm. Or DO they?
They must get the oil from a well known brand, in bulk.
I wonder which one?
Its a big secret. Lol
Old 03-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Its a big secret. Lol
Haha.
I'll bet that it is!
Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha.
I'll bet that it is!
Its really good oil from my understanding
Old 03-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
my last oil change was 29.95 from ford. I would do it myself but I like to have ford do it so I got every thing on paper maintenance wise. If I didn't though, this would be the way I would go.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
This would have been great to read 2 years ago when I had my marquis. I used to pay a "minimum wage" lube guy $70 to change my oil 😏. Now I grew a pair and do my own oil change at home (Motorcraft oil & Motorcraft filter)
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cise View Post
my last oil change was 29.95 from ford. I would do it myself but I like to have ford do it so I got every thing on paper maintenance wise. If I didn't though, this would be the way I would go.
That's also ridiculously cheap but I guarantee it was a entry level guy doing the oil. Again, why I do my own. I think I mentioned here or another thread that my father in law is a master tech at Honda and he has told me multiple times that the guys they farm the oil jobs out to are the oil change guys because they are too stupid or dangerous or both to be trained on more complex stuff. YMMV.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I like to wait for autozone oil sales. Case of regular oil for $1.59/qt, case of synthetic for $2.99/qt. For the cobra i pick up rp on sale for $6.99/qt.

Sent from my massive johnson.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I like to wait for autozone oil sales. Case of regular oil for $1.59/qt, case of synthetic for $2.99/qt. For the cobra i pick up rp on sale for $6.99/qt.

Yeah they do have some good sales from time to time. I saw a sale of Mercon V for $2.99/qt a few years ago and I just grabbed all 30 bottles on the shelf since I had to do a full drain/converter flush/refill on my Expy at the time. I still have 4 or 5 bottles in the garage lol.

Autozone full syn is decent too. Local wal mart is sold out of 5w-30 super tech, I'm not paying $8/qt for my wife's Honda 2.0L so I may gander over to Autozone and see if they've got Motorcraft or their house brand syn on sale. Only need 4 qts for it and it uses ZERO oil.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Yeah they do have some good sales from time to time. I saw a sale of Mercon V for $2.99/qt a few years ago and I just grabbed all 30 bottles on the shelf since I had to do a full drain/converter flush/refill on my Expy at the time. I still have 4 or 5 bottles in the garage lol.

Autozone full syn is decent too. Local wal mart is sold out of 5w-30 super tech, I'm not paying $8/qt for my wife's Honda 2.0L so I may gander over to Autozone and see if they've got Motorcraft or their house brand syn on sale. Only need 4 qts for it and it uses ZERO oil.
I have a commercial account with them. Much better discounts.

Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I know syn. is nice but whats wrong with a good quality conventional oil?
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #20
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
That's also ridiculously cheap but I guarantee it was a entry level guy doing the oil. Again, why I do my own. I think I mentioned here or another thread that my father in law is a master tech at Honda and he has told me multiple times that the guys they farm the oil jobs out to are the oil change guys because they are too stupid or dangerous or both to be trained on more complex stuff. YMMV.
I use Mobil 1 just because I do a lot of highway miles and I feel a little better about going 5-7k miles.. Change my Motorcraft filter a 3k still and usally cost 25$ for oil and 4 for a filter..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #21
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
Nothing really I run conventional motorcraft in everything but my 01 GT because it sits so much and it only comes out for 2-3 hour trips.. Other wise synthetic blend I guess is what it is technicaly, is what I run in the other 5 of my cars..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nothing! I would imagine that if you don't ride your mustang like a mustang and change the oil every 5,000 miles you will be good too go with conventional oil.

The synthetic oil holds up longer than conventional oil so longer oil change intervals can be achieved. I don't beat on my pony, but certainly don't drive it like my wife's Mazda MPV mini van and even that I still use a synthetic oil. I go too Walmart and purchase a 5 quart jug of Super tech fully synthetic oil for 18.00 dollars. 1 quart container is 5.00 dollars.

For 23 dollars I have base III synthetic oil which will hold up better than any conventional motor oils and on par with other base III synthetic oil brands.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

I use Mobil 1 just because I do a lot of highway miles and I feel a little better about going 5-7k miles.. Change my Motorcraft filter a 3k still and usally cost 25$ for oil and 4 for a filter..
Motorcraft oil filters are only good for 3,000 miles? Holy cow. Glad I buy Napa Gold Filters for $7.49 and last 7,500 miles until time for my next oil change.

Motorcraft oil is fine , however a jug of 5 quarts 50/50 blend at Walmart is the same exact price as Super Tech Fully Synthetic Oil. With that being the case, I would much rather have a base III synthetic oil over a 50/50 blend especially for the same price.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #24
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Motorcraft oil filters are only good for 3,000 miles? Holy cow. Glad I buy Napa Gold Filters for $7.49 and last 7,500 miles until time for my next oil change. Motorcraft oil is fine , however a jug of 5 quarts 50/50 blend at Walmart is the same exact price as Super Tech Fully Synthetic Oil. With that being the case, I would much rather have a base III synthetic oil over a 50/50 blend especially for the same price.
No I believe there good for 5-7k but I change mine because of the sitting factor.. I know overkill.. But if rather change it and not need to then not and need to..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Nothing at all if you change 3-5k miles. If you want to go longer or if you run an engine that sees real high RPM you'll want synthetic. I just buy 50/50 blend or Super Tech because its about the same price as a good conventional.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My Ford dealer charges $29.99 out the door. Eight quarts and filter included plus fills all fluids and rotates the tires. Can beat that price for the service delivered.
wstefek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Walmart oil change here is 14.99
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
You trust Wal-Mart employees to change your oil
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstefek View Post
My Ford dealer charges $29.99 out the door. Eight quarts and filter included plus fills all fluids and rotates the tires. Can beat that price for the service delivered.
For that price is great. I tried going to the Ford dealerships in my area and am just tired of waiting 2 plus hours for them to change the oil , filter and rotate tires. It takes me 1/2 hour there and back home. So basically to get my oil, filter and tires rotated 3 plus hours of my time is taken up. On top, 1-2 gallons of fuel for the 40 mile round trip to and from the Ford dealership.

I decided I'm not dealing with all that anymore so for the first time yesterday I changed my oil, filter and rotated my own tires on Mazda MPV van. Since I recently purchased an electric torque wrench, getting lug nuts off is a matter of seconds. I rotated my tires in a half hour which included jacking the vehicle up and placing the jack stands on.

I spent approximately 1 hour changing the oil, filter and done. 2 hours and all done including cleanup and in the driveway or garage too my residence. I don't have too spend 7 dollars on fuel.

On a side note. I love rotating my own tires because as I take each tire off I completely wash them inside & out and fully clean the wheels. All the hard too reach inside areas are washed now. I can also now wax the wheels too help reduce the amount of brake dust from staying on the wheels.

Good luck getting a dealership too fully detail and wash your wheels as they rotate your tires. After doing it myself, I really like it and know its being done and done correct. I make sure the lug nuts are torqued to exactly 100 ft pounds. Just wanted too share my thoughts and views on this.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
Now THAT is one hell of a deal!
I have NEVER had my oil changed by anyone, but, I would consider it at that price.
I'd buy my own filter though, instead of the "one size fits many" "dollar store" oil filter that they must be using at that price. It'd still be around a $21 oil change.
And it would save me a midnight trip out to the storm drain in front of my house... know what I mean?
What could go wrong?
I'd be watching them like a hawk the whole time... A HAWK!!!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now THAT is one hell of a deal! I have NEVER had my oil changed by anyone, but, I would consider it at that price. I'd buy my own filter though, instead of the "one size fits many" "dollar store" oil filter that they must be using at that price. It'd still be around a $21 oil change. And it would save me a midnight trip out to the storm drain in front of my house... know what I mean? What could go wrong? I'd be watching them like a hawk the whole time... A HAWK!!!!!
Lmao.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
You trust Wal-Mart employees to change your oil
18 yr old high school senior doing it with conventional and who knows what filter. Super tech oil is good tho and super tech filters are decent. I'd be more worried about the kid doing the oil or them using an orange can fram.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion