Shifting is shaky - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Shifting is shaky

This is a very general question. I am guessing that old cars with an old clutch will do this. What it does, is when I shift to the next gear, it doesn't just catch and go. It makes a sound as if I am applying the throttle more and less more and less very quickly. I tried to capture this on video but because the car shakes, it moves the camera. Hopefully just by seeing this and by hearing it, you will know what I am talking about. I just want to see if this is because I have low power or because my clutch is slipping. I have only driven old cars and they all do this. I seem to remember test driving a very new car and it did not do this which is what leads me to believe that it is the clutch. It works fine, it's just when I want to shift to the next gear it shakes me back and forth with the car. Please let me know what you guys have experienced. Many thanks!

http://youtu.be/6NqQYmNh0pE
njdurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #2

Bump
Old 03-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I don't think old cars would be any different to a new one as far as shifting goes, so long as the transmission and clutch are in good working order.

I'm thinking you may have a slipping clutch. If I'm interpreting the video correctly, it looks like the RPMs take a while to come down after shifting. What happens if you just drive along in 3rd or 4th, don't touch the clutch pedal and just punch the throttle? Does the engine speed up before the car starts to accelerate?

-Jeff-
STOC 025
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #4

I will have to test this and get back with you.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #5

Okay. As far as I can tell, the rpm gauge doesn't go up at all before the car starts moving. It does seem like there is some power lag or something. Hard to put a finger on this one. I did however manage to capture some video that may help a lot. I should have turned off the stupid radio but I forgot. And excuse the fact that the video is sideways.

clutch? - YouTube

As you can see in the video, the rpms jump significantly then again by a smaller amount, then again by a tiny amount. This is what I believe causes the car to shake forward and backwards everytime it catches. I doubt it is the wheels spinning because I don't hear that at all and it happens even at lower rpm where wheel spin is impossible it's just not as obvious on the gauge that it is slipping. When I get higher like in the video, it jumps more and you can clearly see it. All I am doing is going to an RPM, letting off the throttle for a second, and then punching it full throttle.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
A good way to test a slipping clutch is hit in in 5th gear around 1500rpms.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

I don't think it's slipping. I think it is bouncing in between two plates or something isn't set right. When I go up a hill I can chirp second. When I go up a steep hill I get little to no shaking (it goes right into gear and then goes, none of this rpm jumping stuff). I can't believe that nobody has ever experienced this when I have had 3 cars do it to me.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #8

bump

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion