87 Octane Bama tune - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I am 18 and was in the same situation you were in when I was 17. The 87 tune is just fine for you right now. When you go to the track retune it and fill up your tank with 93... Help your parents out a little bit and be thankful for everything they do. Don't abuse your privileges and enjoy your car... But not to much
Current Vehicle: 2012 Black Mustang 3.7 with a k&n 69 typhoon sieries CAI Ford racing Strut tower brace Forgestar f14s on the way 😈 | Past vehicles Ford ranger | 2001 Jeep Wranger | 2007 White v6 mustang |

Lmo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmo36 View Post
I am 18 and was in the same situation you were in when I was 17. The 87 tune is just fine for you right now. When you go to the track retune it and fill up your tank with 93... Help your parents out a little bit and be thankful for everything they do. Don't abuse your privileges and enjoy your car... But not to much
Great advice. When my father was helping me out with gas (when I had my v6), I only went up to 89 octane out of respect for him/his wallet. Currently I'm not working anymore/back in school and he takes cares of all of my gas (trusts me with 93 octane now in my GT) but if I had to go back to 87 I wouldn't complain.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #38
Road Trip!

Region: California
87 Octane Bama tune

The difference between 87 and 93 is like 3-5 bucks. Just smoke one less pack of cigs and load a new tune. Parents can't tell what tune is on there
CoyoteEatsBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Don't blame people, blame greedy corporations. They are just discriminating and putting everyone in the same pool based on their gender. It's not right but that's them being greedy..

Street racing can be a lot more dangerous. I live in the city now for college and would never street race here. Too many vehicles, cops, and people... I use to live in the country where the only thing you saw was deer. No vehicles no cops no people. I am not making a point for street racing but if you think if I was putting others at risk and am a bad person for running it with some friends and the stars, then gfy. There's responsible ways to do anything. There wasn't a track at my town. Even the town would only get 2-3 car build ups at red lights. I have the right to put myself in danger if I want.

Don't judge a person for wanting to have fun, because you don't know their situation. I've seen 8 year old mustang threads abt red light racing.. Now People are just too damn sensitive.

ANY public road that hasn't been closed off to prevent any non-racers from potentially wandering into the race isn't a good place to race. I don't think I would feel much differently toward a street racer that caused a collision than I would toward a drunk driver that caused one, and God help you if you're either drunk or racing and collide with someone I care about. So many young people don't seem to even be able to comprehend responsibility, let alone the reason why it's necessary. Maybe we should bring more stringent driving requirements into licensing the way that European countries do.

Back on topic, OP: you're driving an unmodified V6. You're not going to gain THAT much on 93 over 87. I'd wager if you did back to back runs on 87 vs 93 on a drag strip, your ability as a driver would still make more of a difference than which tune/gas combo you're running. Worry about higher octane gas when it becomes necessary to run it to prevent detonation
Shuvool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #40

Region: Kentucky
b58bob

Most newer cars can run on 87 octane fine, you'll loose about 10% of your rated H.P. BUT DO NOT switch back and forth to much ( to quickly ) Your Eng. computer will set air/fuel - timing for 87 octane. I'm 67, I don't think I'll miss 45 H.P. .... My first new car was a 1969 Mach I, Wish I Had it today. I'll be ordering my 2015 Mustang soon !
b58bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #41
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by b58bob View Post
Most newer cars can run on 87 octane fine, you'll loose about 10% of your rated H.P. BUT DO NOT switch back and forth to much ( to quickly ) Your Eng. computer will set air/fuel - timing for 87 octane. I'm 67, I don't think I'll miss 45 H.P. .... My first new car was a 1969 Mach I, Wish I Had it today. I'll be ordering my 2015 Mustang soon !
Where did you get 10% from because there's only about a 5 wheel hp difference between 87 and 93 octane on the 11+ V6s, which is about 6-7 crank hp. A far cry from the 30 hp if it were a 10% difference. Several Dyno videos have showed this.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #42

Region: Kentucky
b58bob

Hey, that's great info, I was told by a Nissan mech. about the 10% lost h.p. that was in 2003. The proof in in the Dyno, I love Facts. So in that case I know I'll run 87 in my ( someday ) 2015 Mustang. Thanks again for the info. Sorry about the misinformation. P.S. I lived in Baton Rouge for 30 years ( Who Dat ) so that might explain the wild 10% guess ....
b58bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:53 AM   #43
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by b58bob View Post
Hey, that's great info, I was told by a Nissan mech. about the 10% lost h.p. that was in 2003. The proof in in the Dyno, I love Facts. So in that case I know I'll run 87 in my ( someday ) 2015 Mustang. Thanks again for the info. Sorry about the misinformation. P.S. I lived in Baton Rouge for 30 years ( Who Dat ) so that might explain the wild 10% guess ....
Yeah, my buddy also did 2 Dyno pulls on 87, ran the tank empty, added 93, and then did 2 more pulls after driving for a bit to make sure the majority in the system was 93. The difference was only about 5 whp on a fully stock 3.7 Mustang.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
You'll learn one of these days, whether its a ticket or an accident
Street racing can be as bad or worse than a DUI. This isn't a secret closed down street like on TV outlaw racers do and make people think its outlaw.
Ever notice the lighting trailers with the intense road construction type lighting while filming a supposed hidden street race at night

The difference a full tanks costs of 87 to 93 octane is cheaper than the cost of a real octane booster. Those boosters are not legal for the street and can put red metal deposits on your plugs and O2 sensors, leading to warrentee problems.

Art (or the view of a big box store just over the side of a tree hedge)
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
...I am still wondering how a person can lose control of a 30-40mph red light race lol.
400+ Foot Pounds of Torque on stock tires, can send it moving the rear sideways at 22mph
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #46
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
400+ Foot Pounds of Torque on stock tires, can send it moving the rear sideways at 22mph
True. You can lose it around a corner going to the grocery store.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion