Antenna Delete Kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Antenna Delete Kit

Amazon.com: 2010 to 2014 Mustang and Shelby GT500 Antenna Relocation Kit: Car Electronics

Was Googling (that's a word now) the MMD Ducktail Spoiler because I will probably be swapping my stock spoiler for it once the black pre-painted one comes back into stock. Anyways, while doing that, I somehow stumbled upon this antenna relocation kit from Four Fields Garage. Apparently, the way it works is you remove the antenna and repurpose your rear defroster grid as your car's antenna. This sounds pretty awesome to me (for only $35 bucks) because I do get tired of looking at our short stock antennas. The kit includes a black anodized aluminum cap with a rubber seal on the bottom to keep water from getting into the quarter panel.

So has anyone ever heard of something like this being done? I didn't know that you could make your defroster grid into your antenna. Lol And would your defrost no longer work? No idea how something like this works but I thought it would be a good idea because I've heard that the MMD ducktail spoiler hits the antenna when the trunk is opened. Any thoughts on this thing?
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The silence is deafening. Haha
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 03-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
$35 sound good but what are you gonna pay to for the body work to shave your antenna? I think it would be pointless to do this if you aren't gonna shave and fill the antenna.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
$35 sound good but what are you gonna pay to for the body work to shave your antenna? I think it would be pointless to do this if you aren't gonna shave and fill the antenna.

The antenna would be fully removed. Or am I misunderstanding you?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
The antenna would be fully removed. Or am I misunderstanding you?
I think he's saying to have a body shop fill in the hole where the old antenna was mounted. Instead of using the plastic cap that the kit comes with to close up the hole.

I agree, I'm not a fan of the plastic cap. I feel a shorty antenna looks better than that cap against factory paint. Also, I'd imagine the rear window defroster would no longer be functional. As the you're disconnecting it's power source and replacing it with the radio signal antenna.

It's still a pretty cool concept though!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I see. If I could find a nice black shorty antenna anywhere I'd be game though. I know that AM has the chrome 4" antenna but I'm not looking to add any chrome. And after further research on how to install this thing, yeah the defroster wouldn't work anymore which is completely impractical.

EDIT:

Found one at CJ Pony Parts but they advise getting their billet antenna tool to help install it. I thought it would be a 6 buck part, but its closer to 20. Plus the 25 for the antenna itself. Still might be worth it though.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
A black antenna is something we really need to offer for 11-14 Mustangs. I'm surprised we don't have on available already. Thanks for pointing this out! I'll be sure to suggest this idea to the right people.

Good luck with your decision on which to go with. You'll have to let me know how the rear windshield antenna works if you go that route!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
A black antenna is something we really need to offer for 11-14 Mustangs. I'm surprised we don't have on available already. Thanks for pointing this out! I'll be sure to suggest this idea to the right people.

Good luck with your decision on which to go with. You'll have to let me know how the rear windshield antenna works if you go that route!

Shane

I am probably going to go with the shorty from CJ. Just seems a lot easier and practical. I think AM should definitely think about a black shorty antenna!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I actually cut my OEM antenna. Still get great radio reception and it's a much sleeker look.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
I actually cut my OEM antenna. Still get great radio reception and it's a much sleeker look.

Yeah I've seen a couple videos of people simply castrating their Mustangs. Lol I was worried about a loss in reception (because I actually use my radio all the time). So there's no noticeable difference?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #11
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

I don't use the radio as much due to having a flash drive in the usb port, but when I do use it, I haven't noticed any difference. Now that may change if I go drive around somewhere a lil less populated, but so far it's been great. Just a quick cut and some black touch-up paint. Here's where I cut mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	151174  
Old 03-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't use the radio as much due to having a flash drive in the usb port, but when I do use it, I haven't noticed any difference. Now that may change if I go drive around somewhere a lil less populated, but so far it's been great. Just a quick cut and some black touch-up paint. Here's where I cut mine.
Right. Okay, I'll keep this in mind.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
On the newedges we have to deal with our super tall Athenas but I dont use the radio so I took mine off completely haha
Old 06-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #14

Region: Minnesota
2010-2014 Mustang Antenna Delete Kit

In case anyone is still interested in this post here is a video I did showing the installed kit with an external antenna:

Also, to answer a few questions I saw:

- the cap is anodized aluminum not plastic

- FM reception is good AM is not

- If you want to keep the defroster we list some options for external antennas

If you have any questions you can get in touch with us at fourfieldsgarage.com

We put this kit together for fun and because we hated the stock antenna. So please feel free to ask questions - we're more than happy to discuss
muddywaters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywaters6 View Post
In case anyone is still interested in this post here is a video I did showing the installed kit with an external antenna:

Also, to answer a few questions I saw:

- the cap is anodized aluminum not plastic

- FM reception is good AM is not

- If you want to keep the defroster we list some options for external antennas

If you have any questions you can get in touch with us at fourfieldsgarage.com

We put this kit together for fun and because we hated the stock antenna. So please feel free to ask questions - we're more than happy to discuss

Wait wait how did you make your gauges do that check up when you turned the key?

I like that, any way to do it to a V6 2014?
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
My old 2001 Camry had the antenna embedded with the rear defroster. I'm not sure if this was just a defect with it or if that's how all rear window antennas are, but when I would turn on the rear defroster during the winter, my radio would go 80% static until I turned it off.

I'm not saying this is how they all work, but it may be something to consider.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #17
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
Wait wait how did you make your gauges do that check up when you turned the key?

I like that, any way to do it to a V6 2014?
That's factory. Insert your key and turn it slowly. The first click/notch is accessory, second one is run/start (this is where your gauges will do their test). Turn the key further to actually start the car.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's factory. Insert your key and turn it slowly. The first click/notch is accessory, second one is run/start (this is where your gauges will do their test). Turn the key further to actually start the car.
Never seem that on mine but I will try Thanks
Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hi, i just try it and no my car doesnt do that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion