Who has been to the Tail of the Dragon - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Who has been to the Tail of the Dragon

I am going to take a couple of days off this week and think I will go up there for a few hours with my son. Who has been up there?
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have been to it. Lots of fun you will enjoy it a lot!!
I'm headed up there again in June. Also there is another forum that I'm on that is having a dragon run this weekend I believe.
Have fun!
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ahh glad to see people talking about this place. I've been there two years in a row in my miata. Really fun time. Dont forget to get your dragon stickers just Dont get too throttle happy as it gets scary dangerous on most corners

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sketchificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I live less than an hour from there, so I go at least a couple of times a year.

A few things to keep in mind. First, PLEASE make sure you stay on your side of the yellow lines. A lot of people don't and that makes for way more close calls than necessary.

The speed limit is 30, and several curves will have you down under 10mph, but there are several places where you can open it up a bit. Just remember it's easy to let your car get away from you. And the LEO's there will ticket you in a New York minute for any number of violations - including speeding, crossing the lines (though they do it themselves) or having any kind of camera where the driver can see the screen.

While you're on the Dragon, you'll see folks parked in the pullouts with big signs like Killboy, US129Photos and MoonshinePhoto. Smile when you go by because they're taking pictures of your car. Then, when you get home, find their websites, look up the day you were there and the category of vehicle you were in and you can buy pics of your car on the Dragon.

Hopefully, you won't encounter any semi's on the Dragon. But, be prepared for a lot of bikes on the road. Most of them respect the lines, but not all. At the south end of the Dragon is Deals Gap - mostly a biker hangout, but car clubs pull in there all the time. Their bbq sandwiches are awesome!

If you have the time, when you pull out of Deals Gap, turn left on Hwy 28 and go to Fontana Dam. The route there is known as Moonshiner 28. It's not as many tight turns in as short a space as the Dragon, but it's a much faster road and you can really get into some good twisties there. And the dam is a great place to explore and stretch your legs.

Sorry for the dissertation, but I love the Dragon - as if you couldn't tell. Have fun! Wish I could go with you.

2003 Sonic Blue GT Vert
SonicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I was down last April but on bikes. It was incredible. The roads around there were just magnificent. Find a local if possible (my buddy lives down there) to show you around.
surfinglbi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
been several times on 2 wheels, prefer the cherohala skyway to the dragon though
Karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ahh I hope it wasn't a Harley as a miata driver down there for miata at the gap, we hated the slow *** huge groups of Harley riders.

They would slow down our groups pace. We all had walkie talkies and radar detectors and we would go at the dragon pretty spiritedly. We would never cross the lines or anything but I came around a corner pretty decently and here comes a Honda civic si in my lane, just bookin' it with 2-3 crotch rockets and I nearly **** my pants.

Other than that the only other close call I had was on a right handed hairpin and just as I exited, the rear got a bit squirrely and there wasn't any guardrail on the inside but as soon as I let off the throttle I regained traction D:

Old 03-24-2014, 06:34 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchificus View Post
Ahh I hope it wasn't a Harley as a miata driver down there for miata at the gap, we hated the slow *** huge groups of Harley riders.

They would slow down our groups pace. We all had walkie talkies and radar detectors and we would go at the dragon pretty spiritedly. We would never cross the lines or anything but I came around a corner pretty decently and here comes a Honda civic si in my lane, just bookin' it with 2-3 crotch rockets and I nearly **** my pants.

Other than that the only other close call I had was on a right handed hairpin and just as I exited, the rear got a bit squirrely and there wasn't any guardrail on the inside but as soon as I let off the throttle I regained traction D:

I've been on this many times with my Harley. I always have fun, and enjoy the ride on the twisties on my modified dresser. It's a public road; sorry the "slow *** huge groups of Harleys" spoiled your fun.

Perhaps you should have mentioned it to them. They may have moved aside for your Miata's.

I doubt it!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
nope I don't ride Hardleys last time was on a2008 K1200GT and I didn't slow anyone down, the rolling road blocks never bother me, just pass em and be done with it. they do seem to get freaked out when you pull in half way thru the group and then blitz the rest on the next straight though.
Karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I've been on this many times with my Harley. I always have fun, and enjoy the ride on the twisties on my modified dresser. It's a public road; sorry the "slow *** huge groups of Harleys" spoiled your fun.

Perhaps you should have mentioned it to them. They may have moved aside for your Miata's.

I doubt it!
Lol I wasn't saying you are one of those people or anything. I was just saying one time we were stuck behind a **** load of Harleys and they were just going well below our pace as were going at it very spiritedly. It was fun nonetheless!

Sorry if I came off rude about it lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion