slow 0-60, please help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
slow 0-60, please help!

I have a 2013 3.7 with the 2.73 gears, Automatic. I know these gears suck and plan to upgrade them eventually, but I've seen others pull off 5.xx 0-60 times..stock. Ive ran both Bama and MPT tunes and im in the mid 6's 0-60 with all the mods listed in signature. What could be hurting my 0-60 so much?? I'm thinking I might have an exhaust leak (but not 100% sure), but that seems like a significant difference for an exhaust leak. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
2013 DIB 3.7-Pypes Pype Bomb black axlebacks, BBK shorty headers, Bama & MPT tunes, Steeda Ultralite Springs, J&M steel adj. panhard, Roush hood scoop, Street scene Gen 2 chin spoiler painted to match, Custom billet grille, painted side mirror covers, 20" gloss black AMR wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos.

Follow me on instagram @that_deep_impact
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Impact View Post
I have a 2013 3.7 with the 2.73 gears, Automatic. I know these gears suck and plan to upgrade them eventually, but I've seen others pull off 5.xx 0-60 times..stock. Ive ran both Bama and MPT tunes and im in the mid 6's 0-60 with all the mods listed in signature. What could be hurting my 0-60 so much?? I'm thinking I might have an exhaust leak (but not 100% sure), but that seems like a significant difference for an exhaust leak. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
Are you getting a lot of tire spin? What rpm are you launching at?
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Impact View Post
It really depends on the mods of the other cars you're comparing yourself against. There's a chance that they could be manual cars with 3.73 or even 4.10 gears. The 2.73's are definitely going to be that difference. If you install a set of 3.73's I bet you'll see 5.xx 0-60 times!

I hope this helps.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
where are you timing these 0 to 60 times? Temperature, tires, weight, altitude, and more can all lead to freakishly slow runs or freakishly quick ones if things are in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
Are you getting a lot of tire spin? What rpm are you launching at?
about 2K RPM, very minimal wheelspin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
It really depends on the mods of the other cars you're comparing yourself against. There's a chance that they could be manual cars with 3.73 or even 4.10 gears. The 2.73's are definitely going to be that difference. If you install a set of 3.73's I bet you'll see 5.xx 0-60 times!

I hope this helps.

-Dan
Thanks Dan, as far as i know my buddy has 2.73's, airaid CAI and a bama tune. I dont have a CAI, but i dont think that would be the reason for huge difference in times. I'll definitely be ordering a set of gears from you guys pretty soon! Always nice doing business with AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSancho View Post
where are you timing these 0 to 60 times? Temperature, tires, weight, altitude, and more can all lead to freakishly slow runs or freakishly quick ones if things are in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just on a straight back road. Im located in texas and i would say it was 60-70 degrees, 255/35/20 nitto motivo. I did get a CEL the other day, so that might have had something to do with it.
2013 DIB 3.7-Pypes Pype Bomb black axlebacks, BBK shorty headers, Bama & MPT tunes, Steeda Ultralite Springs, J&M steel adj. panhard, Roush hood scoop, Street scene Gen 2 chin spoiler painted to match, Custom billet grille, painted side mirror covers, 20" gloss black AMR wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
20" wheels and 2.73 gears is like trying to foot race with rubber boots on.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 6spd man with 2.73s with the only mod being my drive shaft. But I have the factory 17s with the bicycle tires. 0 to 60 isnt to bad far as seat of pants I never timed it yet.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
20" wheels and 2.73 gears is like trying to foot race with rubber boots on.
Hey, you'd be amazed how fast you can move in boots when you are getting shot at...

However, to drop 60 ft times in an auto... aftermarket stall converter, correct set of gears for said stall and your power level, bolt ons/suspension and a tune. Properly setup an auto will actually outrun a stick pretty handily all other things being equal. These are not the "slushboxes" from days of yore.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Hey, you'd be amazed how fast you can move in boots when you are getting shot at...

However, to drop 60 ft times in an auto... aftermarket stall converter, correct set of gears for said stall and your power level, bolt ons/suspension and a tune. Properly setup an auto will actually outrun a stick pretty handily all other things being equal. These are not the "slushboxes" from days of yore.
+1 on the shots and the automatic. My 06gt was an auto and I loved it. I went for price on this car so 6spd was my only option.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
When I put a 3.55 in my V6, the mid-to-low 6s turned into 5.5 with wheel spin. That was on Pony pak 18" 235/50/18s ; 20" are way big. No need to queer the car's resale with a stall converter unless you are going to track race. Intead of that, put on 17 or 18 G500s with eh 3.55 gear for less cost than a stall converter.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
When I put a 3.55 in my V6, the mid-to-low 6s turned into 5.5 with wheel spin. That was on Pony pak 18" 235/50/18s ; 20" are way big. No need to queer the car's resale with a stall converter unless you are going to track race. Intead of that, put on 17 or 18 G500s with eh 3.55 gear for less cost than a stall converter.
I plan on putting in 3.73s in it at some point. I dont think 20's are too big, however i'd never get anything bigger. ALOT of people are putting 20" wheels on the 11-14 models..they look great IMO, just a tad heavy. My buddy has 20's and hes running mid 5's, so I am comparing our cars equally.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, 20" are what youngers like due to the influence of magazines... (your gear ratio is gettin' killed by them, look up the tire math websites) I have 20" tires on my 4x4 and think that is too big...think about that you have to make up for that huge size by making the rubber tire so small, its hard as hell on your Arse and all that other stuff folks put up with to look at what magazine says is kewl...its all bling in my old fart man opinion...

Real old AM had big wide an Fat "Meats" as we used to call 'em

Back in the day the local tire store (gas station remodeled) sold 70s, 60s, 50s.... G50s is what everyone had to have...Make your tires look like 71' Mach 1s.

If your buddies is doin' mid 5s on 20", just what is his rear gear?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Half the ppl who buy wheels/tires for their Mustangs buy canned packages from AM/LRS/wherever with little-no actual research. I spent two weeks picking out the right tires for my 98 and that was just tires lol. And in that 2 weeks I saw that a LOT of those canned wheel/tire combos range from not optimal to downright WRONG (like AM running a front tire .5" taller than the rear in their S197 combos for example).

As far as wheel sizes... as long as you stick near or at the stock diameter it will not mess up your gear ratios at all. Wheels might be a little heavier which will hurt performance but you have to decide if a certain look is worth that for you. I personally hate the roller skate look of my 98 right now so I'm putting wheels 1" taller than are on there now on the car which is actually right near 94/95 Cobra spec (26.1") since the tires on here now are slightly smaller than stock spec for all other years/models (25.7") of 94-04 cars.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As far as wheel sizes... as long as you stick near or at the stock diameter it will not mess up your gear ratios at all.
That is both correct and also not true at the same time. You need to use a Tire/Wheel calculator and it will tell you how it will directly effect your revs per mile which directly effects your "final ratio to the ground"; which is not your gear ratio but the true effect of your final ratio. Now you see how I say your are correct and not correct at the same time?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

No, if you have the same overall diameter your gear ratio will not change from what it was beforehand. Example, a 295/35/18 is the same diameter as a 255/45/17, your final ratio will not change using either tire. Your overall performance might take a hit from adding extra unsprung rotating mass though.

Now if you were to go from a 26" tall tire to a 28" tall tire yeah your overall ratio will change but that's why you go with a smaller sidewall when you go up in rim size unless you are purposely going bigger diameter.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, if you have the same overall diameter your gear ratio will not change from what it was beforehand.
Yes, that is correct, you have the info I was talking about. But most people don't know that it is the overall diameter that matters for to final to the ground ratio. Most just think about rim diameter. But you know what I am talking about.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, if you have the same overall diameter your gear ratio will not change from what it was beforehand.
Yes, that is correct, you have the info I was talking about. But most people dont know that it is the overall diameter that matters for to the ground ratio. Most just think about rim diameter. But you know what I am talking about.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I just put tires and wheels on my 02 GT, back wheels sit about an inch taller than the stock, got the GPS out and my speedometer didn't change at all.
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's because the stock speedos are not the most reliable things in the world. They are supposed to read 8,000 pulses per minute but from the factory they won't read that. You probably were not accurate beforehand but are now. Who knows.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion