Blown driveshaft...? 2012 V6 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'm sure at 125mph the harmonics on the 2 piece driveshaft just started to weaken it and if taken repeatedly (or maybe even once) to that sort of RPM it just blew itself apart. As was already stated, you are fortunate it didn't catch and catapult the car but now at least there is a reason to get a 1 piece shaft, which I see you already have in your sig. Very nice mod list for your V6 btw.

And I agree, what if it was on the autobahn? I know plenty of ppl who have had their cars shipped to Germany (I'm AF at McGuire) and I've been on the autobahn myself. While there aren't as many speed free zones as you are lead to believe by ppl who have never been, I have had a BMW pretty goddamn fast in spots where you can hit whatever you want. I can imagine someone with one of these V6s in that situation could have a potential lawsuit on their hands...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm sure at 125mph the harmonics on the 2 piece driveshaft just started to weaken it and if taken repeatedly (or maybe even once) to that sort of RPM it just blew itself apart. As was already stated, you are fortunate it didn't catch and catapult the car but now at least there is a reason to get a 1 piece shaft, which I see you already have in your sig. Very nice mod list for your V6 btw.

And I agree, what if it was on the autobahn? I know plenty of ppl who have had their cars shipped to Germany (I'm AF at McGuire) and I've been on the autobahn myself. While there aren't as many speed free zones as you are lead to believe by ppl who have never been, I have had a BMW pretty goddamn fast in spots where you can hit whatever you want. I can imagine someone with one of these V6s in that situation could have a potential lawsuit on their hands...

Thank you! Not sure what's on there now but I have a lot more mods! Exactly. And I'm sure they don't add a one-piece driveshaft for those Germany folks.
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've seen plenty of them in Germany, heck there is a Ford dealership right on Ramstien AB and last time I was there I saw a good 3 or 4 Mustangs both 5.0 and 3.7 sitting there. I am now flying a desk but might get one more trip as aircrew there in May. And now I am curious so if I see any 2014 V6s on the lot I will gander under there and take a look.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

No mention was made where the speeds happened (hopefully this was done at a track), so we are leaving it. Please do not answer this!

It is a good lesson for others to see what can happen when a speed limiter is removed, and this sort of speed is performed with a stock drive shaft. I guess that is a good enough reason as to why the speed limiter was placed on a stock tune to begin with. We have to understand that Ford builds them to run on public roads, and at legal speed limits, so they cannot be blamed for the two piece drive shaft. I've yet to hear of any documented incident where this driveshaft has imploded at legal speed limits, at or below the speed limiters setting.

I'm assuming that the new 2015 Mustangs destined for European sales will have a higher speed limiter, and a driveshaft to handle them, as areas such as Germany with some sections of the autoban have unlimted speed limits, although these sections are now getting smaller due to populations and traffic.

Very glad to read that no one was hurt.
I agree that no driveshaft failures have occurred while the cars are traveling below the speed limiter. My issue is this, regardless engine size Ford has created a 305 HP performance sports like car. The performance pack has GT suspension, 3:31 gears (performance oriented) and 19 inch high performance tires. (High speed rated tires) You basically have a 2010 GT with a 3.7 engine and as fast.

The 2010 Gt's and under don't have a low speed governor on them yet the 3.7's are there equal in performance. Yet they have a low speed governor. It really doesn't make sense. If ones argument for the low speed governor is no one should be traveling 130 mph because its not safe then its not safe for a GT model.

Its ridiculous too say its okay too travel 150 mph in a GT yet its not okay in the 3.7 model. There is no good reason that Ford
Didn't use the same quality driveshaft in both models.

Its crazy too think the 3.7 is not a high performance sports car. Yes, the 5.0 is higher performance but that doesn't take away the 3.7 still is equivalent to 10 and under Gt's.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I agree that no driveshaft failures have occurred while the cars are traveling below the speed limiter. My issue is this, regardless engine size Ford has created a 305 HP performance sports like car. The performance pack has GT suspension, 3:31 gears (performance oriented) and 19 inch high performance tires. (High speed rated tires) You basically have a 2010 GT with a 3.7 engine and as fast.

The 2010 Gt's and under don't have a low speed governor on them yet the 3.7's are there equal in performance. Yet they have a low speed governor. It really doesn't make sense. If ones argument for the low speed governor is no one should be traveling 130 mph because its not safe then its not safe for a GT model.

Its ridiculous too say its okay too travel 150 mph in a GT yet its not okay in the 3.7 model. There is no good reason that Ford
Didn't use the same quality driveshaft in both models.

Its crazy too think the 3.7 is not a high performance sports car. Yes, the 5.0 is higher performance but that doesn't take away the 3.7 still is equivalent to 10 and under Gt's.

+100000
Old 03-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post

+100000
Of course that's just my crazy opinion. Ha ha ha. If 135 mph isn't safe to operate on public roadways in a 3.7 then it isn't safe in a 5.0 or Gt500 Corvette, etc. 135 mph is 135 mph no matter what model a car is. 5 pounds of rocks is just as heavy as 5 pounds of feathers. The fact that Ford uses a less quality driveshaft in a 305 HP, 14 second 1/4 mile sports car is really ludicrous in my opinion..

Were not talking about a mini van people. Its a performance vehicle with Gt suspension and high speed performance tires. Come on people. Are me and Miss Jersey the only two that can see this. Ha ha ha
Old 03-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Of course that's just my crazy opinion. Ha ha ha. If 135 mph isn't safe to operate on public roadways in a 3.7 then it isn't safe in a 5.0 or Gt500 Corvette, etc. 135 mph is 135 mph no matter what model a car is. 5 pounds of rocks is just as heavy as 5 pounds of feathers. The fact that Ford uses a less quality driveshaft in a 305 HP, 14 second 1/4 mile sports car is really ludicrous in my opinion..

Were not talking about a mini van people. Its a performance vehicle with Gt suspension and high speed performance tires. Come on people. Are me and Miss Jersey the only two that can see this. Ha ha ha

I agree completely. Many family sedans have higher top speeds than my Mustang. IN FACT, if I'm not mistaken, my 1998 Honda Accord had a higher electronically limited top speed than my Mustang. And that's down right embarrassing no matter which way you cut it.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post

I agree completely. Many family sedans have higher top speeds than my Mustang. IN FACT, if I'm not mistaken, my 1998 Honda Accord had a higher electronically limited top speed than my Mustang. And that's down right embarrassing no matter which way you cut it.
Ha ha ha. Bro, Welcome too the club with me and cuite pie Miss Jersey. Ha ha ha. Truth, no joke I believe my second vehicle Mazda Mini Van can run the same top speed as the 3.7 with the speed governor on. No joke!

P.S. When I call this particular forum member cutie pie I mean no disrespect to her in any way, shape or form. Just after seeing her picture , that's what comes to my mind. What a cutie bear. Ha ha ha !
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder why shaftmasters never bothered with bringing back its 11 V6 driveshaft. They have 10 V6
Old 03-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

13.7* but apparently! They're discriminating the little V6's.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
If someone had told me even back in 2009 that a V6 bolt on Mustang would be in the 13s I would never have believed them. That is a great time and only a second slower than a stockish 5.0 runs. I think that a lot of companies still can't quite grasp that the current/future crop of V6 Mustangs are legit fast performance vehicles vs what they were from 1994-2010.

But why stop at 13s?

Old 03-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If someone had told me even back in 2009 that a V6 bolt on Mustang would be in the 13s I would never have believed them. That is a great time and only a second slower than a stockish 5.0 runs. I think that a lot of companies still can't quite grasp that the current/future crop of V6 Mustangs are legit fast performance vehicles vs what they were from 1994-2010.

But why stop at 13s?

> you don't. I'm dying to know what Stella makes to the wheels / runs. The last time I was at the track she ran a 13.6 first pass with an intake and a muffler. And 20" wheels lol.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #48
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol Stella, that's my daughter's middle name and my grandmother's name. Good name.

There are plenty of places in NJ where you can get some dyno time. I'd just recommend staying away from big daddy if you are anywhere near central NJ/jersey shore. Wicked is good, Radical Racing in Atco is awesome, Kasper... there are others.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Heck yeah 13.7! You must be running down my neck of the woods. Cecil County Dragway. Ha ha ha
Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol Stella, that's my daughter's middle name and my grandmother's name. Good name.

There are plenty of places in NJ where you can get some dyno time. I'd just recommend staying away from big daddy if you are anywhere near central NJ/jersey shore. Wicked is good, Radical Racing in Atco is awesome, Kasper... there are others.

Yeah I'm south, looking for somewhere to tune her at but everywhere I've. Asked so far seems really expensive or doesn't have the software for my car.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Heck yeah 13.7! You must be running down my neck of the woods. Cecil County Dragway. Ha ha ha

I ran a 13.6 at Atco. Only place I've even taken my car to. And only once lol.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

Radical Racing is literally 5 minutes from Atco. Not sure if he does the 3.7L though. He for damn sure does pushrods and modulars. You'd have to call and ask and his rate was $600 for the tune and the chip. I paid cash and he didn't charge any tax. Took my 95 Cobra with HCI from 260whp untuned to 301whp in 3 pulls.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Radical Racing is literally 5 minutes from Atco. Not sure if he does the 3.7L though. He for damn sure does pushrods and modulars. You'd have to call and ask and his rate was $600 for the tune and the chip. I paid cash and he didn't charge any tax. Took my 95 Cobra with HCI from 260whp untuned to 301whp in 3 pulls.

Ouch. I got a price for $475.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #53
Staff
Regular
Staff

From Radical? If so jump on that price. I've been quoted as high as $1k from places around here... Going rate from most places is $600 from my experiences.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
From Radical? If so jump on that price. I've been quoted as high as $1k from places around here... Going rate from most places is $600 from my experiences.

No not from there. I've never heard of anywhere charging more than $500.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #55
Staff
Regular
Staff

Gotcha, well then you are getting some really good prices, just make sure the shop quoting you those prices actually knows wtf they are doing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2012 v6