2014 Mustang v6 or GT for a girl in her 20s - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Region: Nevada
2014 Mustang v6 or GT for a girl in her 20s

Hi,

I'm planning on purchasing a base mustang. I'm torn between the v6 and v8. I know the v8s are better but I'm wondering if I will get any benefit out of it for the extra money. They're about $8000 more at the dealerships here for the base models. I'm going to use the car as my daily driver and I'm not planning on racing it or doing any modifications. Is there any reason why I should get the v8? I also don't care about resale value because I'll drive it until it's worthless. Will I notice a huge difference?
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'm not sure if a v8 is automatically "better" since what's better really depends on the person.

Honestly, if you are not looking for "racing" or modding it there's really no reason to get a v8 other than the rumble of the engine. The v6 is a great daily driver and with 300+ HP it could surprise you how fast you can actually take it lol. Also if you wanted to eventually mod the v6. at least cosmetic wise... you could do all the same mods.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You will notice a huge difference in performance. The 8,000 dollars will give you 115 more horsepower and 110 lbft of torque. This knocks over half a second off of the car's 0-60 time and the 1/4 mile time. Doesn't sound like much, but the difference would be night and day. Other than that, the GT gets bigger brakes, some exterior differences (such as grille-mounted fog lights), and a few other things. As far as the interior goes, the V6 and V8 are identical (respectively of course to whether they are a base or premium).

If you are worried about insurance, the price of the vehicle, and gas mileage, then the V6 is for you. But if you are more concerned with going fast and the sound of an American V8 engine, then the GT is for you.

Hope this helps a little.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

SixBanger, excellent post.

OP, seems like you belong with the V6 model. They're fast. It doesn't sound like you're a performance enthusiast, but more so someone looking for a sporty, fast DD.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Go with the V6.

The 305 HP is more than enough for daily driving. The V8 is a lot more than the $8,000 price tag difference when you account for the extra money you'll be spending on gas and car insurance. I would go with the V6, it will be perfect for your needs.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Sounds like from a performance standpoint, you will be fine with the V6. If you are willing to spend the extra money for the V8, my suggestion would be to get the Premium edition of the V6 instead of the base model. Especially since this will be your daily driver and you plan on keeping it for a long time. The extra creature comforts and toys will be well worth it and enjoyed for a long time.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Sounds like from a performance standpoint, you will be fine with the V6. If you are willing to spend the extra money for the V8, my suggestion would be to get the Premium edition of the V6 instead of the base model. Especially since this will be your daily driver and you plan on keeping it for a long time. The extra creature comforts and toys will be well worth it and enjoyed for a long time.
Agreed.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
V6 sounds like your best bud. V8 is for racers/modders/enthusiast.. I test drove a 11 V6 and they are pretty dang fast. PLENTY for a DD. You'll have decent mpg's and a blast with the hp. Have fun

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Go test drive both! The 3.7 & 5.0 are both awesome cars I've had both!! The only benefit your gonna get is performance..if u don't care about the best performance then the v6 will probably be the best choice!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
The 3.7 V6 is an Excellent engine

What you will be getting with the V8 over the V6 is less Miles per gallon, Higher Insurance rate, more power then you will ever use unless you decide to go racing. A very good V8 sound and more expensive oil changes.
The V6 has 305 Horsepower and if you decide you want more power after a while it is easily available with a few Modifications.
I could have bought the GT V8 but chose the six and I'm very happy with everything about it. I did get the Premium MCA package with a Sirius radio and My Ford Sync automatic and it puts out enough power to keep my girl friend mad at me most of the time when I pin her to the passenger seat.
Just get what you want and don't let us talk you into anything else.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Unless you are a performance enthusiast (just have to have your adrenaline fixes) and are willing to pay extra for it, the V6 will be cheaper to run both from the fuel cost and insurance perspectives. As has been said, the V6 still makes more than 300 hp and that's nothing to sneeze at.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie View Post
Hi,

I'm planning on purchasing a base mustang. I'm torn between the v6 and v8. I know the v8s are better but I'm wondering if I will get any benefit out of it for the extra money. They're about $8000 more at the dealerships here for the base models. I'm going to use the car as my daily driver and I'm not planning on racing it or doing any modifications. Is there any reason why I should get the v8? I also don't care about resale value because I'll drive it until it's worthless. Will I notice a huge difference?
V6 and that is the end of that.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

Either way you go I suggest you get the premium if you can swing it like others have said they make the daily drive more comfortable and enjoyable. I have a V6 and love it but I don't DD it. Also go on the Ford site and request a brochure for a Mustang as most will come with a $750 coupon to help lower the price.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I have to agree that the insurance is more on the GT but by how much? You would need to check into that with your insurance carrier. I keep hearing people say that the GT has a much higher insurance premium, but my insurance quote was adjusted $26 a year between the two cars. For the $26 a year increase, I took the GT. Granted, there are the higher monthly payments on the GT! Basically, what I'm saying is that the insurance isn't an issue for all drivers and might not be a issue that needs considering.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
I have to agree that the insurance is more on the GT but by how much? You would need to check into that with your insurance carrier. I keep hearing people say that the GT has a much higher insurance premium, but my insurance quote was adjusted $26 a year between the two cars. For the $26 a year increase, I took the GT. Granted, there are the higher monthly payments on the GT! Basically, what I'm saying is that the insurance isn't an issue for all drivers and might not be a issue that needs considering.

If she is in her early 20s, insurance would be an issue on a V8 vs. V6.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I know it's an issue for a male in their 20s, but is it the same for females? That's all I was saying.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know it's an issue for a male in their 20s, but is it the same for females? That's all I was saying.

Not to the level of males, but still higher until they hit 25.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Spend the money on add-ons for the 6 and you will never regret it. I was really determined to get the 302 since I was a big fan of the Windsor 302. I tried the 3.7 and it won me over. At my age, insurance was not a factor. It all came down to a car that handled and performed great. I could afford to spend the money I saved from not going with the 302 on upgrades to make it even better.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

V6
Old 03-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Keep in mind the new V6 (11+) is putting down darn near close to the same power numbers that the 10 and earlier V8's are. I love my v6 as a DD and it has PLENTY of practical power for a DD.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Yeah, I agree, V6 should make you happy.

Check out this thread for more testimonials.
Why do you think the 3.7 mustangs are worth it?
PatinMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:23 AM   #22

Thanks so much for all of the feedback. I think I'm going to go with the base v6 model with the sync. I fell in love with the bright green one. I currently drive an old V8 cadillac and the v6 felt a lot more powerful. I was surprised. I'm looking for enough power to accelerate quickly while merging into freeway traffic and make quick left turns. I didn't test drive a GT though. The dealership didn't have any of the base models. I didn't want to test drive a car I couldn't afford and fall in love. LoL since I'm happy with the v6 maybe it's best I don't test drive the GT so I don't know what I'm missing & can save my money. The V6 premium had a lot of great extra features but I'd rather not have leather seats during our 115 degree summers!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Before you buy, call your insurance agent. Get a quote on insurance coverage for the V6, and the V8. This may help you make your purchase decision.

Once you have that payment in your pocket, use any online tool to estimate your monthly payment, based on the price you expect to negotiate from the dealer for both a V6 and a V8. Factor in the interest rate.

Now you know where you stand payment wise. You won't have any big maintenance concerns for the first 36 months or three years, as the warranty helps you with that. As others have mentioned, the V8 might be a bit more thirsty in the gasoline purchases, but not by much, except the 5.0 likes the high octane stuff, and the V6 burns the 87 octane, so the price per gallon is going to suit you better with the V6.

Now go buy that Mustang. Post some pics here when you get it!

As to leather over cloth(?), the leather is easier to clean, and much more durable. With 115 degree summer temps, any sweat that happens saturates (yuck) into the cloth, and requires extra cleaning (steam) to keep the cloth looking (and smelling) nice. The leather can be wiped down with those desposible leather wipes you can buy at the parts stores.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I would really recommend the Premium over the base. It includes much more than just the leather seats.

Quick left turns are important to you? Sounds like NASCAR!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1. I was $90/year more on insurance and based on my Mpgs I'll spend $700 more per year on gas. These 2 factors are not even a big deal unless you are under 21 and male ( or have a bad record ).

To the op, seems like a v6 will suit you fine. I would think about finding one with some options. A lot of times you can get extra rebates on the premium models. So you may get one for close to the base price before ttr
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I live in Florida and have leather seats

You gotta remember, Mustangs have what you call an "AIR CONDITIONER" in them. It works very well.
The Mustang premium package includes them as well as the my-ford-sync and satellite radio.
I have no trouble with having leather seats and like Bucko say's.
Quote:
As to leather over cloth(?), the leather is easier to clean, and much more durable. With 115 degree summer temps, any sweat that happens saturates (yuck) into the cloth, and requires extra cleaning (steam) to keep the cloth looking (and smelling) nice. The leather can be wiped down with those desposible leather wipes you can buy at the parts stores.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Keep in mind the new V6 (11+) is putting down darn near close to the same power numbers that the 10 and earlier V8's are. I love my v6 as a DD and it has PLENTY of practical power for a DD.
What is funny is there are still a LOT of ppl out there who don't know this. Ford did a big marketing thing in 2010 when the 2011s where releasing about "300hp, 31mpg" and then it just stopped. I still see "lol V6" ppl around and when I tell them the new V6s are as fast or faster than the 4.6 GT they are like "wha????".

I've test driven a few newer V6s and they are no joke. I feel like if I was to get one and do some bolt ons/gears and a tune it would be faster than my PI swapped/bolt on 98.

But maybe not
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The V6 premium had a lot of great extra features but I'd rather not have leather seats during our 115 degree summers!
You must live somewhere around AZ or TX (I'm assuming) get yourself some bada$$ tints!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
What is funny is there are still a LOT of ppl out there who don't know this. Ford did a big marketing thing in 2010 when the 2011s where releasing about "300hp, 31mpg" and then it just stopped. I still see "lol V6" ppl around and when I tell them the new V6s are as fast or faster than the 4.6 GT they are like "wha????".

I've test driven a few newer V6s and they are no joke. I feel like if I was to get one and do some bolt ons/gears and a tune it would be faster than my PI swapped/bolt on 98.

But maybe not

I've heard that it's a drivers race with advantage to the 99-04 gt... But the v6's are super fun and I enjoyed test driving the one that I did. I like the raw experience of the new edge v8's but the refined feel of the newer v6's was a pleasant surprise. Only bad that I could say about the newer 6's is you had to rev it a lot higher for it to get going. Tq is definitely more plentiful with my car an probably v8's in general. If it wasn't for that, the exhaust not sounding like a v8, and not wanting to be 15k in debt... I'd prolly be in a 11+... Loved the ford sync too lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks so much for all of the feedback. I think I'm going to go with the base v6 model with the sync. I fell in love with the bright green one. I currently drive an old V8 cadillac and the v6 felt a lot more powerful. I was surprised. I'm looking for enough power to accelerate quickly while merging into freeway traffic and make quick left turns. I didn't test drive a GT though. The dealership didn't have any of the base models. I didn't want to test drive a car I couldn't afford and fall in love. LoL since I'm happy with the v6 maybe it's best I don't test drive the GT so I don't know what I'm missing & can save my money. The V6 premium had a lot of great extra features but I'd rather not have leather seats during our 115 degree summers!
Tint and UV protectants will solve that.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #31

V6. And if you want some interior upgrades I would get the premium. If you are not into performance, just save your money.
Dabaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Without stepping up to the V6 Premium you could always tack on the 102A Tech Package which will give you the SYNC, steering wheel mounted audio controls, 6 way power driver's seat, auto-dimming rearview mirror and LED fog lamps.
PatinMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I normally go for cloth seats, but the leather seats in the Mustang are no issue in the hot summers. Use a shade in the windshield and crack the windows and you will not see anything worse than cloth seats. The Mustang has great seats with the premium pkg. No seat fits everyone, but these fit very nicely for many.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #34

Thanks guys! I ended up getting the bright green mustang v6 that has a tech package and I LOVE it!! The GT was a big stretch in price for me. Maybe someday when I'm richer. But I'm so glad I fell in love with the v6.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1396149757.431442.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	767.3 KB
ID:	152275

PS I live in Vegas and have to park outside in uncovered parking at work. Leather burns our butts!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #35

Congrats!! Sweet ride!
Dabaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2014 mustang