OK What's the scoop on CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
OK What's the scoop on CAI

Just got back from Florida trip from Ontario, Canada. Have a AIRAID cai & tune - all performed well and noticeably better - Except....

Driving hiway the intake air temp was about 1degree cooler than ambient. That's good. Got into traffic in town & intake temp soarded up to 53 degrees while outside temp was 18-19. (note temp in C).

To me it appears that the intake is taking air from inside eng compartment not through the OEM style frt facing ram air type intake vent. If this is typical then a CIA is useless in the city & we may be better with std intake & K&N filter. I purchased the AIRAID because it still used the ram air effect but it seems that the engine compartment air is the main source.

What are your thoughts???????????
Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Impact View Post
Just got back from Florida trip from Ontario, Canada. Have a AIRAID cai & tune - all performed well and noticeably better - Except....

Driving hiway the intake air temp was about 1degree cooler than ambient. That's good. Got into traffic in town & intake temp soarded up to 53 degrees while outside temp was 18-19. (note temp in C).

To me it appears that the intake is taking air from inside eng compartment not through the OEM style frt facing ram air type intake vent. If this is typical then a CIA is useless in the city & we may be better with std intake & K&N filter. I purchased the AIRAID because it still used the ram air effect but it seems that the engine compartment air is the main source.

What are your thoughts???????????

You're right CAI's are useless lol. Heat soaked renders them useless. They are just eye candy an look good. Which is why I'd never pay 300$ for one lol.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The newer 2011+ Mustangs have a closed box and front cold air intake that is very hard to beat for real cold air an flow. That is why the early Mustangs has Ford Racing CAI products with the Ford ProCal tuner, but the 2011+ only sell a filter element and ProCal Tuner. Ford Added the Sound Tube to the GT CAI to give you the Noise part of the CAI at least in the cabin/cockpit.

Any 2011+ open box intake is really a hot air intake and yes, noise and Eye Candy. Yes I bought one for my last car before the GT, and it looked SUPER! but if stopped it was a hot air intake, numbers climbing while stopped.

There is one aftermarket CAI in a closed box that has a top you can remove to show the cone air filter at a car show; but the box just didn't look right to me.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
OK What's the scoop on CAI

I am running the AFE Pro-Dry S filter in the stock air box on my 2012 3.7.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I am running the AFE Pro-Dry S filter in the stock air box on my 2012 3.7.
Yep I did the AFE Blue Oil in the stock air box as well, and pulling the CAI off an stock air box on before winter, and then my trade in 2 weeks ago; the new owner of my past V6 is now enjoying it! (they sold my V6 in light speed)

Art
Old 03-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Yep I did the AFE Blue Oil in the stock air box as well, and pulling the CAI off an stock air box on before winter, and then my trade in 2 weeks ago; the new owner of my past V6 is now enjoying it! (they sold my V6 in light speed)

Art

I went with the dry one just so I didn't have to worry about oil screwing up the MAF like others were mentioning. I know it's not an issue if you don't over oil, but since dry was an option I went that route. I've got oiled SLP filters on my '95 T/A and never had a problem. Those filters are a lot further from the MAF than on the Mustang.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
You're right CAI's are useless lol. Heat soaked renders them useless. They are just eye candy an look good. Which is why I'd never pay 300$ for one lol.
The below text is from a thread on the SVTP site posted 03/24/2014.
...............Not sure " useless & eye candy " apply !!
JDM Super Cobra Jet 140mm Cold Air vs. 123mm Cold Air

We installed the 140mm Super Cobra Jet cold air intake today on a customers 2010 GT500 2.9L Whipple car and got some awesome results! The fitment on the 2.9L Whipple requires trimming the SCJ inlet tube 1" shorter than with a 3.4L, 4.0L, or 4.5L blower. This is the first fitment we have done on the 2.9L car so we are happy we found out before we sent this out to one of our customers! We will include fitment instructions for anyone who purchases this in the future.

The power gains were surprising to say the least as we netted over 35 RWHP and nearly 40 TQ!!! Showing there is some restriction, at least with a car moving this much air. The car in prior testing had the Whipple 123mm CAI. We replaced this with the SCJ 140mm air intake and fitted a 07-09 Ford Racing Air box for a heat shield. This required some cutting and making a spacer to attach it to the factory radiator shroud to secure it. Overall I think it came out looking awesome, and performing way better than we anticipated. The more important benefit of this SCJ 140mm Air intake is that is lowered the mass air reading down to a much safer range and allows us to make a whole bunch more power when we turn up the boost and dump in some race gas!

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I would agree with those numbers, but they are not a 2011+ model that has the ram air intake and Ford Claims they are CAI and say so on the box. Some folks did Dyno tests on no-tune CAIs and one was worse then stock. Steeda makes a tune required one that really performs better, uses the ram air tube from the grill, but I did notice on my last 2013 that when sitting in traffic, the temp numbers climbed as the intake took in air from under the hood.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I would agree with those numbers, but they are not a 2011+ model that has the ram air intake and Ford Claims they are CAI and say so on the box. Some folks did Dyno tests on no-tune CAIs and one was worse then stock. Steeda makes a tune required one that really performs better, uses the ram air tube from the grill, but I did notice on my last 2013 that when sitting in traffic, the temp numbers climbed as the intake took in air from under the hood.

Which one was on your 2013 when the temperature went up sitting in traffic? The stock box? I would probably guess even with the stock one the temperatures would go up sitting still, not because it is picking up underhood air but because you don't have outside air flowing in. Again, that is only a guess but makes sense in my mind. That stock box is only open to the grill, I don't see where it could pull air from anywhere else under the hood.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Which one was on your 2013 when the temperature went up sitting in traffic? The stock box? I would probably guess even with the stock one the temperatures would go up sitting still, not because it is picking up underhood air but because you don't have outside air flowing in. Again, that is only a guess but makes sense in my mind. That stock box is only open to the grill, I don't see where it could pull air from anywhere else under the hood.
All of them go up, but the open kind, even sealed to hood as best they climb more so faster then the stock box. My experience was with the Steeda.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Of course your gonna get hot air.

A CAI is not really giving you more or less hot or cold air when just driving in traffic. Use a little common sense. When your going through the gears with it wide open you really appreciate the cold air and plenty of it from your CAI. Just normal driving around it is no better then the stock air box.

But the best feature of a CAI is when you pop the hood open. It is great Eye Candy.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
They are not useless. Depending on your mods will determine weather it will be beneficial to you or not. There is way to many people just repeating what they have heard.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
They are not useless. Depending on your mods will determine weather it will be beneficial to you or not. There is way to many people just repeating what they have heard.
Correct, super mods and FI like Turbos and Superchargers for sure. Dealing with first first time mods, CAI and tune, when I got my CAI, I looked at some dyno evidence that showed without a tune, the CAI reduced power from stock. I loved my Steeda CAI and recomend it for folks that plan to do a tune. But without a tune, the Stock CAI is better than the no tune CAIs. Even FRPP has there explanation on this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
cai