For those concerned about emissions IL... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
For those concerned about emissions IL...

I just passed my emissions test today in Illinois with O/R x pipe and axleback. No cats, no mufflers. Just an odb2 test, no visual.

I used spark plug non foulers drilled out 1/2 inch and put them in the X pipe o2 bungs. It was a trick that I didn't have that much faith in, but it appeared to have worked.

Figured I would pass on the knowledge if anyone else was worried. The non foulers were 5 bucks. Easy project to save you some emissions worries.

2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Langer1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Where did you pick up the non foulers from? I'm going to have to do this in a couple weeks, because I'm due by May 1st. I get the idea of how to do it from youtube videos, i'm just not sure what specific things to get.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You can get non foulers from any auto store. Drill them out a half inch. I double stacked mine. So I had 4 non foulers total. 2 for each o2 bung.
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Hope you kept the cats. Federal law supersedes any state laws, regardless of it it passed a smog test or not. A cop in a bad mood can stop you, and write you up for failing federal laws (that require cats).

Catalytic Converter Laws

Rules for Replacing Converters
In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.
In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:
1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.
When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:
1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.
http://www.catalyticconverter.org/law/index.htm

It is possible that the catalytic converter was stolen and the seller was unaware of this. Stealing catalytic converters seems to be the latest craze among thieves. They contain valuable metals for recyclers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/29/us...rssnyt&emc=rss

Driving a car without a catalytic converter is illegal unless age of vehicle is exempt. Car will not pass emissions test. It is illegal to sell a car with tampered emissions system.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bu...#ixzz2xZeEYw7s
Old 03-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yep.

Disclaimer; May be risky....

Ha.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Just a heads up for you. My son got nailed when he tried to sell his Subaru WRX STi without the cats. Even with the "sold as is" clause in the paperwork, the buyer hit him with papers a week later. He had to either buy the car back at full sale price, pay to have the cats installed, or pay the fine. He bought the car back (sellers remorse), and still has it today (and without the cats).
Old 03-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Good lookin'. Appreciate the heads up. Sold his STI?! I would keep one of those till it blew up
Old 04-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I never knew cats had a performance drawback. I guess those 500-600+ HP vipers, and corvettes among others are leaving a lot on the table.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
I never knew cats had a performance drawback. I guess those 500-600+ HP vipers, and corvettes among others are leaving a lot on the table.

I wouldn't say it's a huge performance gain really. Maybe a couple horsepower at most. It's just removing a restrictive element in the car. It's ain't much but it's somethin' I guess.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Wow, lets see only a few tiny numbers in gain, and folks pay hard money to remove something that can totally queer their car's resale and get them in trouble....

....Yea I never would have thought that out myself back in the 70s either

But today I would never think of doing that. Lots of good flow in performance "Street" cars with the newer CATS that factory puts out. The early bad designed CATS in the 70s/80s in movies like Cannon Ball Run were so bad they give today's good CATS a bad name....

...If any Youngins had been to LA in the 60s during the huge Smog issues, they would have thought what they were seeing was China and its toxic skys, like China is today with folks with face masks on to be able to breath....

How many here know that back in the 50s and before, engines just had a dump tube stickin' down into the air flow under the engine to dump all the crankcase crap out into the ground level air?

The first item to solve that was known as the "Blank" Valve?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Removing cats or running an OR pipe is for ppl who want to be as loud as possible, you are leaving 1-2hp on the table max if you have a good hi-flow set.

And having a super loud exhaust means absolutely nothing if you can't back it up which I'd say half the cars with loud exhausts can't.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just because it passed doesn't mean its legal. I know NC is like a lot of states where they have a OBD2 test along with a visual inspection. Some shops just don't do the visual as well as they should as they enter in that information. Although there is no way to get a car to pass with a CEL on due to the fact that they have to hook up the inspection machine to it.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hey langer, I just did the Non fouler trick. My only question is, Did the attendant notice any smell? Mine got a decent Stank to it, but no CEL so far. So just curious if your car has a good stink to it.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Hey langer, I just did the Non fouler trick. My only question is, Did the attendant notice any smell? Mine got a decent Stank to it, but no CEL so far. So just curious if your car has a good stink to it.
Nope, not bad at all really. Haven't noticed anything. I have m80s mufflers welded in as well though. Everyone that works there always just tells me, nice car, sounds good, rev it up, etc. No problems passing.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Nice. I'm hoping the smell won't set off any alarms to the attendant, it smells like it's running a bit rich. But So far, It seems that the non fouler has worked. Did you have to drive the car around for awhile to reset the monitors?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:30 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I think its only like a 50 mile cycle. You'll be alright.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion