To Brembo or not to Brembo (13 GT?) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:52 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to MustangCPA Send a message via Skype™ to MustangCPA
Question To Brembo or not to Brembo (13 GT?)

I haven't made the purchase yet, but I'm looking at getting a '12 or '13 GT, but I don't know about the Brembo brake package. Will it make the ride too harsh to use it as a daily driver? Does it improve handling so much that I would be stupid to get one without?

I work as an accountant at a Ford dealer, so I'm cruising the auction sites, and Ford Factory auctions to see what turns up.
MustangCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangCPA View Post
I haven't made the purchase yet, but I'm looking at getting a '12 or '13 GT, but I don't know about the Brembo brake package. Will it make the ride too harsh to use it as a daily driver? Does it improve handling so much that I would be stupid to get one without?

I work as an accountant at a Ford dealer, so I'm cruising the auction sites, and Ford Factory auctions to see what turns up.

I believe the brembo brake package is a lot better than stock so I would definitely pick it up. I mean, what if someone pulls out in front of you? You'll want that better brake package there.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
I believe the brembo brake package is a lot better than stock so I would definitely pick it up. I mean, what if someone pulls out in front of you? You'll want that better brake package there.
Good point.
But what about ride quality? How much more harsh is it with the package and those 19" wheels? Here in PA we have potholes the size of small countries. Are those 19" wheels durable enough, along with the $300/ea tires? (I already checked, I can't apply my employee discount to those tires ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Good point.
But what about ride quality? How much more harsh is it with the package and those 19" wheels? Here in PA we have potholes the size of small countries. Are those 19" wheels durable enough, along with the $300/ea tires? (I already checked, I can't apply my employee discount to those tires ).
It's more expensive this way but have you thought about not getting the Brembos but upgrading the Rotors and Pads?

This way you can get the 18' rims.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If anything the more expensive will most likely be better. Tires will be expensive regardless.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
It's more expensive this way but have you thought about not getting the Brembos but upgrading the Rotors and Pads?

This way you can get the 18' rims.
I don't understand. I can get just the Brembos without the entire package? That might be hard to find at the auctions, but that's a different problem entirely. My bosses can probably work their magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
If anything the more expensive will most likely be better. Tires will be expensive regardless.
True. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." The chatter I see on the rest of the Internets says the ride quality doesn't degrade much, but handling & braking performance increases substantially. So the bottom line is its worth it.
I tend to overthink things, and make sure I have everything covered almost to the point of paranoia. This will be my first car I bought on my own, even though I work at a dealer alot of this stuff is a learning experience. SO Bear with me!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I don't understand. I can get just the Brembos without the entire package? That might be hard to find at the auctions, but that's a different problem entirely. My bosses can probably work their magic.

True. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." The chatter I see on the rest of the Internets says the ride quality doesn't degrade much, but handling & braking performance increases substantially. So the bottom line is its worth it.
I tend to overthink things, and make sure I have everything covered almost to the point of paranoia. This will be my first car I bought on my own, even though I work at a dealer alot of this stuff is a learning experience. SO Bear with me!
You can order the Brembo Brakes through American Muscle or any other place on the internet. You work for Ford, don't you get some kind of a discount?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #8

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
You can order the Brembo Brakes through American Muscle or any other place on the internet. You work for Ford, don't you get some kind of a discount?
I work for a dealer not Ford Corporate. I get 20% off labor and I forget my percentage off Ford parts. As far as I know they don't sell 3rd party performance parts.
My Spidey sense is saying go with the Brembo package. The last two that I put bids on had it so maybe they're more common than I think. The first one was a '12 that I got distracted and missed the closing bid. The second was a '13 that I won but the selling dealer said it smelled like tobacco smoke, which (per the auction rules) is grounds to refuse/cancel the sale. Which I did. I wish they could put tobacco smoke stench in the Carfax.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I work for a dealer not Ford Corporate. I get 20% off labor and I forget my percentage off Ford parts. As far as I know they don't sell 3rd party performance parts.

My Spidey sense is saying go with the Brembo package. The last two that I put bids on had it so maybe they're more common than I think. The first one was a '12 that I got distracted and missed the closing bid. The second was a '13 that I won but the selling dealer said it smelled like tobacco smoke, which (per the auction rules) is grounds to refuse/cancel the sale. Which I did. I wish they could put tobacco smoke stench in the Carfax.

No problem man. Just get the upgraded brakes and call it a day. They are an upgrade for a reason. Be patient an you will get a great car at a great price. Bad thjngs happen when you rush stuff.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Brembos won't fit unless you have 19" rims so you can't just order them as an upgrade with 18" wheels. Although you can get some 19" rims from AM or wherever, try to find a tirerack special on tires and upgrade to a GT500 kit or something from the evilbays. The 07-12 use 4 piston calipers IIRC and the 13/14 use lactating nipples of jesus 6 pistons.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The ride really isn't harsh at all. With the Brembos, u r also getting a remote oil cooler, 3.73s with a cover with cooling fins (Boss), some diff suspension parts, Advancetrac advanced traction control, and 19" wheels. Lots of stuff, for minimal price. No brainer for me. Potholes won't be an issue...well, no worse than 18s.
Troy
Old 04-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had a 2011 without the package and a 2013 with it. There are a few other differences between the models so keep that in mind. That said... I would never go back on the Brembo. Love it. Braking is noticeable. I really don't think there is any ride quality lost. Mine is a daily driver as well. Go for it. you won't regret it.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Good point.
A pothole is not going to damage these wheels. My first '14 was destroyed when a co-driver rolled the car, and the wheels were fine. The base brakes are just fine for street driving, they will not let you down unless you are racing (excessive heat generation vs dissipation capability). The only hindrance to street stopping distance for this car is tire, not clamping force. If you are racing, the brembos will still overheat unless you have cooling ducts.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
My vote is to get the Brembo option. Otherwise if you want them later, then it becomes an added expense. I upgraded my non-Brembo ‘14 GT brakes with this kit:

2005-2014 MUSTANG GT 14" SVT BRAKE UPGRADE KIT | Part Details for M-2300-S* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

I also run the GT500 18x9.5 wheels that clear the Brembo calipers, but that’s also another expense along with the wider tires.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Good point.

I test drove a non brembo gt before getting my brembo gt delivered. It is a little different ride but in a good way. I don't feel at all like the ride quality is bad or harsh. The brakes were a HUGE improvement over the non brembo car though. Also if you get a base model car with a brembo package, your car will have sync and the nicer steering wheel and power drivers seat if that matters to you. I am very glad I was able to find my brembo car
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion