Advice for better MPG? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Advice for better MPG?

I have a 2005 Mustang GT, and according to everything everywhere I should be getting about 16-23ish MPG...I get 12...on a good day. I don't red line my car very often, I even tried short shifting for awhile, and skipping gears for awhile, nothing helped. I replaced my air filter and it helped a little bit, but barely. Does anyone have advice on what I could do? An RPM to shift at while in gas saving mode? Also any parts that I could/should replace to improve MPG? Thank you!!
NFloris_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Get a prius. You got a v8 man, thats the cost of owning a sweet car.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bales View Post
Get a prius. You got a v8 man, thats the cost of owning a sweet car.

Haha I know man lol, smiles per gallon over miles per gallon haha. But 12 is steep lol, I know other GT owners getting 18, close buddy of mine gets 26. The gas station is gonna start charging me rent soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I hear ya man, I always, no matter how easy I drive my car get 5-10 less miles per gallon than other people. I reckon you can't get the v8 sound without stopping at nearly every gas station you go bye.

Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bales View Post
I hear ya man, I always, no matter how easy I drive my car get 5-10 less miles per gallon than other people. I reckon you can't get the v8 sound without stopping at nearly every gas station you go bye.

Everyone I've ever met says my car sounds like a V6 lol. Flow master 44s on stock everything doesn't do me much justice. If I had the V8 grumble maybe my poor gas mileage would be ok. Maybe. Lololol.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

YIKES!!!!!

12 is bad.

I have a F-250 with a built big block that gets better mpg than THAT!
Something must be wrong. How many miles are on your car? Is the air filter the only thing, as far as tune-up parts, that has been replaced that you are aware of?
All stock? No tune, CAI... nothing?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
YIKES!!!!!

12 is bad.

Something must be wrong. How many miles are on your car? Is the air filter the only thing, as far as tune-up parts, that has been replaced that you are aware of?

No tunes or nothing, I just replaced my air filter recently. Only performance mods are a Aid raid throttle body spacer and flowmaster super 44 axle backs. Currently I'm at 76,XXX miles, idk what's causing my poor gas mileage. I could drive super hard doing pulls everywhere, and super calm not over 2.5K RPM and get similar if not worse gas mileage than when I drive like a prick lol.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Did you clean the MAF when you changed that filter? It should be cleaned every filter change.
Id do a scan for codes, there may be one pending that hasn't triggered the CEL.
Your car MUST be running too rich to be using so much fuel. Can you smell any fuel smell from the exhaust?
Old 04-04-2014, 02:02 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you clean the MAF when you changed that filter? It should be cleaned every filter change.

Id do a scan for codes, there may be one pending that hasn't triggered the CEL.

Your car MUST be running too rich to be using so much fuel. Can you smell any fuel smell from the exhaust?

I'm just now starting to learn about cars and maintaining them, so I'm unsure on the MAF haha, I'll get my old man to help me with it when we get the time, with school and work and what not. And negative on the fuel smell in the exhaust, just smells like every other exhaust.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:17 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

This forum is an excellent place to learn.
MAF=Mass Airflow sensor. Its right there next to the air filter, screwed onto the mass airflow meter. If it gets too dirty, it can affect the air/fuel mixture. Its very simple to clean. There's probably a YouTube vid on how to do it.
As a point of reference, my Bullitt easily gets the 18/city 25/hwy that Ford said it would. It's much worse when driven hard but I never get less than around 18.
Pretend that you have a raw egg in between your foot and the accelerator pedal, and you are desperately trying to not break the egg... Drive around like that for a week and see if anything changes.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Clean maf element like was said, make sure your tires are inflated properly, that is a way bigger deal than ppl realize. I overinflate my truck by 3-5 psi and it helps drastically but you don't want to go too much or it'll wear funny. I keep the Mustang around 35 psi. You can also do a drain/fill on your transmission with some better fluid and make sure you fill to any updated specs. I know for the 01-04 models Tremec had to update the fill from 3.8 quarts to 3.2 quarts because it was causing windage problems. Not sure what the 05-10 fill is but check.

Then seafoam it and see what that gets you. We were just discussing seafoam in another thread actually.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This forum is an excellent place to learn.
MAF=Mass Airflow sensor. Its right there next to the air filter, screwed onto the mass airflow meter. If it gets too dirty, it can affect the air/fuel mixture. Its very simple to clean. There's probably a YouTube vid on how to do it.
As a point of reference, my Bullitt easily gets the 18/city 25/hwy that Ford said it would. It's much worse when driven hard but I never get less than around 18.
Pretend that you have a raw egg in between your foot and the accelerator pedal, and you are desperately trying to not break the egg... Drive around like that for a week and see if anything changes.

I did that for a solid month and my gas mileage actually got worse. I got 12ish MPG while driving like that, but then I got really bored with some friends one day and drove like a typical teenager and my MPG went up from that. (My car is an 05 premium, and it tells me my MPG on the dash).
Old 04-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
YIKES!!!!!

12 is bad.

This might be a stupid question, but does the gas I use effect the MPG? My dad makes me run 91 premium, but the car has no tune and it's all stock (except throttle body spacer). If I ran 87 would that improve it? Or no?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I'm getting like 18 city 26-30 on the highway doing 60

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
MasonStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFloris_05 View Post
I did that for a solid month and my gas mileage actually got worse. I got 12ish MPG while driving like that, but then I got really bored with some friends one day and drove like a typical teenager and my MPG went up from that. (My car is an 05 premium, and it tells me my MPG on the dash).
Lol.
Hey, whatever works for you!

Try hand calculating your MPG's by dividing the amount of miles traveled by the number of gallons used, the next time you fill up.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFloris_05 View Post
This might be a stupid question, but does the gas I use effect the MPG? My dad makes me run 91 premium, but the car has no tune and it's all stock (except throttle body spacer). If I ran 87 would that improve it? Or no?
Yes, the octane rating can affect your gas mileage. If you are not tuned for 91 octane, you may actually get slightly LESS mpg's.
There is actually more energy in a gallon of 87 octane fuel than there is in a gallon of 91 octane because the 91 has an additive to make it burn slower.
You should notice no difference in performance running 87 octane gasoline in a properly running stock engine.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, the octane rating can affect your gas mileage. If you are not tuned for 91 octane, you may actually get slightly LESS mpg's.

There is actually more energy in a gallon of 87 octane fuel than there is in a gallon of 91 octane because the 91 has an additive to make it burn slower.

You should notice no difference in performance running 87 octane gasoline in a properly running stock engine.

Alright, thanks! I'll be sure to use 87 from now on until I can get a 91 tune.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
This may sound far fetched but unplug the battery for 15-20 minutes and remove the throttle body spacer. The throttle body spacer could be messing with the computer. And I agree with the 87 octane. My 06gt vert auto got around 18-24mpg.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

My bolt on 2V with the stock factory tune and 19lb injectors gets 20mpg hand calculated with a mix of "spirited" and normal driving. If I really grandma drove it I'd probably get 22-24mpg. My 95 Cobra with the stock 3.08 gears in the back could get over 25mpg easy on the highway doing 75 mph. Before I did the HCI and it was just a bolt on car with a fox A9L computer it would go right through the sniffer every time, get that same mileage keeping it under 70 with the 3.73s and run a high 12 on ET streets.

Sniffer test in NJ has got worse for pre 96 cars though which is why I'm in a modular. Really thinking of getting back into a pushrod though, they are just easier to work on IMO. Although I love the 2V. And if I did get back into one I'd be swapping everything over from this car to that one and then selling this to become cost neutral which actually is not a bad idea...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #20

Region: Illinois
Get a SCT or bama Tuner.
ILuvMsThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I get around 18 to 23 in my 07gt. 12 sounds pretty low especially of you aren't even getting on it. I havnt been able to stay out of the throttle for a whole tank to calculate it exactly.
Jon Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm getting 14.2 in my 14 gt... Womppp
Old 04-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
There are numerous factors involved with fuel efficiency. If you do a lot of stop and go driving, your mileage will drop like a rock. If you drive interstate with really low gears, mileage drops. There is a reason why manufacturers are going to cars that stop and start the engine every time the car come to a pause. Other factors include the tire brand and model, any issue with the drive train, like lightly dragging brakes, or transmission slippage.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
I'm getting 14.2 in my 14 gt... Womppp

That must be a lot of city or track driving to get that low...sounds like you're having fun.
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Keep your foot out of it. /thread.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Keep your foot out of it. /thread.
Seriously, this is spot on ^

I've seen as high as 23mpg and as low as 11mpg in my 2v. Its usually fairly spirited driving so i average around 16mpg mixed about 50/50.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Weight reduction:

1) Remove parts until the engine quits running. Then replace the last part removed.

2) No fat people as passengers

3) Remove the spacer; doubtful it's doing any real good.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Weight reduction:

1) Remove parts until the engine quits running. Then replace the last part removed.

2) No fat people as passengers

3) Remove the spacer; doubtful it's doing any real good.

This is true ^ less weight means the engine doesn't have to work as hard. Less work means better mpg.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Don't know if anyone's mentioned regular maintenance:

* Oil+oil filter
* Air filter (don't forget cabin air filter too)
* All fluids
* Fuel filter
* Tire pressure
* Spark plugs etc.

For this you can just go to a Ford dealership and ask for "The Works" service where they can replace all the aforementioned, rotate your tires, check your hoses, etc. etc. It won't rape your wallet either.

Don't use cheap dirty gas either, you'll pay less than i.e. Shell gas but get fewer miles out of that tank (did my own testing). See Top Tier Gas. You can also try the sea foaming method to clean out engine gunk in your motor.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

I get my gas at Costco or the af base only. Too many cases of bad gas or 87 in all the tanks around here. I still keep my receipts even though I run 87 on a stock tune right now. My 95 needed premium so it's force of habit.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #31
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I get my gas at Costco or the af base only. Too many cases of bad gas or 87 in all the tanks around here. I still keep my receipts even though I run 87 on a stock tune right now. My 95 needed premium so it's force of habit.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

+1 on Costco, nice and cheap gas. I like Chevron but that sh*ts so damn expensive.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Sounds like the OP was going strictly by the LOM which is useless. I can make mine read 99mpg or 5mpg depending on when I reset it. I would bet he isn't get anywhere near 12mpg, neither my '08 Bullitt or '10 GT could get under 20 and that was/is when I am driving pretty hard. I'm betting he was resetting the LOM constantly and every stop light he hit it would tank. so he'd reset again. Longer you leave it alone the more accurate it will be. If he is truly getting 12mpg he should be getting well under 200 miles to a tank, I get that in half a tank most times.
BBK LT headers, fuel rail and UD pullies
Hurst Shifter
Lowered with upgraded rear suspension
Galaxie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
+1 on Costco, nice and cheap gas. I like Chevron but that sh*ts so damn expensive.
Yeah, Shell is costing me $50 fill ups lately.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

All of the different brands of gasoline come from the same refinery. It is transported in the same pipelines and is all stored in the same tanks at the refinery. Many times, the same truck that delivers the fuel to the highest priced, "boutique blend" gas station that you can think of, also delivers the fuel to the gas station that you think has the "crap gas".
All gasoline is basically the same... In this country anyway.
Some different brands have the guy delivering the fuel squirt some of their proprietary additive in the tanker to mix with the gasoline but you could very well be getting some Costco additive mixed with Chevron or vice versa.

Quick story.
The airport in my home town used to have two different brands of aviation fuel available, Chevron and Texaco. Chevron seemed like the favorite but different aircraft owners have different ideas about what's best for their baby, and some would flat out refuse to use one brand or the other.
It wasn't commonly known but there was only one tank at that airport that both the Chevron and Texaco dealers drew their aviation gasoline from... The same was true for the jet fuel tank. It was all the same fuel... which came from the Chevron refinery.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol, JetA is JetA, JP4 is JP4 and whatever the hell the derka derka shows up with in a truck that looks like its about to fall apart has always seemed to burn fine in our PW F117s. The hard part is getting the "pointy talky" right lol.

I only try to stay at the Costco or the base because I know that Costco has never been one of those gas stations listed as putting 87 in all their tanks and the base is supposed to test each truck too to make sure they are putting 93 in the 93. There have been TOO MANY gas stations around here putting 87 in all their tanks and that is the reason I save my receipts. Keeping up that habit for when I eventually need 93 again. If you blow up due to running regular in your car that needs 93 and you have a receipt showing you paid for 93 and you get an octane test done and find 87 in your tank... well... you've got a free engine coming your way if your lawyer is worth anything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion