2013 Mustang GT vs 1994 Corvette LT1 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
2013 Mustang GT vs 1994 Corvette LT1

There's is this kid in my college that wants to race me with his 1994 Corvette LT1 against my 2013 Mustang GT/CS. Both of our cars are automatic (unfortunately), and both of our cars are bone stock. I believe that I can beat him in a race, but he's a complete A-Hole and his ego is unbelievable, and i wanna race him just to shut him up . He think that because it's lighter, he'll beat me, despite the huge difference in HP and torque.

What's your guys/gals input?
2013 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Race him and you'll win. Put some money on it to make it worth it.
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Race him for Pinks!.. Then you'll be the proud owner of a Mustang and a Corvette!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My research shows 300 HP in the 1994 Vette.
1994 Corvette Specifications - C4 Corvette - www.corvsport.com

Its actually a good thing you have an automatic transmission; then you won't miss a gear when racing him and lose.
Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
No challenge.... Make sure to post the time slip after you race him.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
That should be a decent match up between an NA 4.6 or the 3.7 V6. A 5.0 should walk it all day.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Rape him and tell him to stfu. Make him eat his ego hehehe

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I love how everyone on here who has an auto transmission follows it up with the word "unfortunately." Lol but yeah, your GT will outpace the Vette pretty easily.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I love how everyone on here who has an auto transmission follows it up with the word "unfortunately." Lol but yeah, your GT will outpace the Vette pretty easily.

Cuz manuals are so much more fun hehehe

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Cuz manuals are so much more fun hehehe
They're fun till you get beat by an auto making less power at the strip. There is a reason 9/10 single digit cars are autos and the majority of 10 second ones too. Go to any track and take a look for yourself. Today's autos are not grandpa's "slushboxes". I have not converted to an auto for the control factor only, if I was tracking the car regularly it would have had a 4R75w and a Freakshow converter last year and it would probably be 1/2 second faster.

At any rate to the original topic of this thread, not even a challenge. That LT1 is a 14-14.5 second car if he gets a good launch and depending on his tires he probably won't. Your car is a mid 12 to low 13 second car so it will not only not be close, you'll buttrape him. But throw down a $100 bill in front of all your co-workers/friends and tell him to take the bet if he's so sure his car can win. That way you are sure to make him STFU. If he doesn't take the bet in front of everyone he looks like a *****. If he does take it go to the track with a friend filming and make him look like a fool. And if he puts down $100 and then bails you just made $100 and he looks like an idiot.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
They're fun till you get beat by an auto making less power at the strip. There is a reason 9/10 single digit cars are autos and the majority of 10 second ones too. Go to any track and take a look for yourself. Today's autos are not grandpa's "slushboxes". I have not converted to an auto for the control factor only, if I was tracking the car regularly it would have had a 4R75w and a Freakshow converter last year and it would probably be 1/2 second faster.

At any rate to the original topic of this thread, not even a challenge. That LT1 is a 14-14.5 second car if he gets a good launch and depending on his tires he probably won't. Your car is a mid 12 to low 13 second car so it will not only not be close, you'll buttrape him. But throw down a $100 bill in front of all your co-workers/friends and tell him to take the bet if he's so sure his car can win. That way you are sure to make him STFU. If he doesn't take the bet in front of everyone he looks like a *****. If he does take it go to the track with a friend filming and make him look like a fool. And if he puts down $100 and then bails you just made $100 and he looks like an idiot.

I never stated they was faster lol. I said more fun.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
I never stated they was faster lol. I said more fun.

I'll agree with that. I absolutely love driving my dad's 02 GT with a stick. Fortunately, if I am in the mood to control shifts I pop the shifter into Sport Select-Shift. My transmission likes to shift just before the exhaust really has a chance to open and scream, so I use SS to fix it if I'm in the mood. And I use the normal shift mode for when I'm just not in the mood to shift (when I'm tired or just wanna get home without the extra effort, drive in DC everyday). Best of both worlds, maybe!
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Losing at the track when you know you could have won with a better setup (I said better setup not more power) is in no way fun. But its all in personal preference. For a street car that is not driven all the time I prefer stick for the control. If I was to get a Coyote I would be very hard pressed to pick the Getrag with all the known issues over the 6 speed automatic that is already proven to work brilliantly. Boss intake, tune, exhaust, stall and a little suspension work and you are well into the 11s with an auto Coyote.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Losing at the track when you know you could have won with a better setup (I said better setup not more power) is in no way fun. But its all in personal preference. For a street car that is not driven all the time I prefer stick for the control. If I was to get a Coyote I would be very hard pressed to pick the Getrag with all the known issues over the 6 speed automatic that is already proven to work brilliantly. Boss intake, tune, exhaust, stall and a little suspension work and you are well into the 11s with an auto Coyote.

I wasn't talking track only. We have seen that a computer is a better shifter than a human. If it's not just a track car then manual is fun and plenty worth... At least if you do win then you can say you actually did it, not a computer.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Then you can just do a manual valve body and then you have to shift lol. Its all the same.

And to the original poster, did you take the ******bag in the 94 LT1 to the track yet and spank him? Let me guess, excuses as to why he can't make it right? Also most ppl in C4 Vettes are in them because they have to have a Vette but can't afford anything nice. My father's LT4 96 white on red/black leather with 14k original miles is an exception and one of the ONLY C4s I've seen that I liked. LT4 Vettes are actually really underrated and one of the best values out there in the Vette world IMO if you can stand the late 80s/early 90s cues. Honestly its better than the bubble/inflated looking interiors of the jelly bean C5s TBTH.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Then you can just do a manual valve body and then you have to shift lol. Its all the same.

And to the original poster, did you take the ******bag in the 94 LT1 to the track yet and spank him? Let me guess, excuses as to why he can't make it right? Also most ppl in C4 Vettes are in them because they have to have a Vette but can't afford anything nice. My father's LT4 96 white on red/black leather with 14k original miles is an exception and one of the ONLY C4s I've seen that I liked. LT4 Vettes are actually really underrated and one of the best values out there in the Vette world IMO if you can stand the late 80s/early 90s cues. Honestly its better than the bubble/inflated looking interiors of the jelly bean C5s TBTH.
+1, family friend just got a a C4 Vette. The way it sits i'm pretty sure my 4.6 2v would take it.

HID end all thread
Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Guys with an ego like his (from what you're describing) either do two things
1. He'll bail because he's all talk and no play
2. He'll immediately accept because he's blinded by pride, even though his vette won't win
Just race for slips and then once you win send us a pic of your new corvette lol
2000 V6: SR CAI, BBK Throttle Body, 4.10 Gears, Edis Coil Pack, Magnaflow Exhausts, HP Wires, Iridium Spark Plugs, Raxiom Headlights, 391/2 lb Injectors, Cobra Fuel Pump, Procharger Stage II Supercharger Blown & Intercooled @ 9 lbs of Boost.
1998 Cobra: JLT Ram CAI, Underdrive Pulleys, Eibach Launch Springs, Magnaflow Catted X-Pipe & Catback Exhausts, Saleen Spoiler. Vortech Supercharger w/ Intercooler soon to come!
CplAhern04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

3. He'll claim he missed 3rd or forgot to load his race tune or he'll show up on race day and say he accidentally put 87 in the tank etc... I think I've heard them all. Best one was from a Civic SI owner that his grounding kit wasn't installed right lol. Don't even ask.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
+1, family friend just got a a C4 Vette. The way it sits i'm pretty sure my 4.6 2v would take it.
If that's the case, it's likely not a C4 with the LT engine or it's in bad shape.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
If that's the case, it's likely not a C4 with the LT engine or it's in bad shape.

Yea it's not in too good shape. Plus I know he isn't a great driver.

HID end all thread
Old 04-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I will honestly say that the LT4 in my Father's 96 continually impresses me. He has an econo/engine life tune on there or whatever that he had burnt. I guess he pulled it and shipped it off and whoever burnt that tune and got rid of the 1-2 miss shift... the thing that makes you go 1-4 which is the most retarded thing they ever did. But its bone *** stock besides that and it'll press you back in your seat pretty good.

IIRC GM underrated the LT4 and its right in LS1 territory with a little more bottom end to boot from what little I've read. I keep telling him if he is going to sell it to let me know though, its in mint condition or as mint condition as a driver can be at 14k miles.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
I will honestly say that the LT4 in my Father's 96 continually impresses me. He has an econo/engine life tune on there or whatever that he had burnt. I guess he pulled it and shipped it off and whoever burnt that tune and got rid of the 1-2 miss shift... the thing that makes you go 1-4 which is the most retarded thing they ever did. But its bone *** stock besides that and it'll press you back in your seat pretty good.

IIRC GM underrated the LT4 and its right in LS1 territory with a little more bottom end to boot from what little I've read. I keep telling him if he is going to sell it to let me know though, its in mint condition or as mint condition as a driver can be at 14k miles.
Agree 100% on the LT4. The LT1 was good in 94 but nothing a stout bolt on fox couldn't handle thru the quarter. Go for it, he will have to learn the hard way which will begin in the first 60ft.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That car only came in silver right? The LT4 vette and the grand sport are my favorite C4s. They where a good ending to the C4 line up.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Every manual transmission 1996 Corvette was a LT4, it was an end of model run thing IIRC. My father's is a completely base model 1996 stick, white exterior on red/black leather. Gorgeous car.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:

Modded auto vs stock manual. Most 10/9/8 second racing is bracket racing. Autos are used for near carbon copy consistency. Not because they're actually faster or not. Yes of course as you stated modern auto cars are not as far off from their manual counterpart but the majority of manuals are still faster. Stock for stock of course. A stock auto with the trans tuned will be faster than a stock manual otherwise.

Personally, I'd sacrifice some speed to retain the manual.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said its all personal preference. The autos at the track are not only used for consistency but because not even the world's best driver on his best day can't shift as fast as an auto. Also, torque multiplication of a good converter allows an auto to come out of the hole harder than any manual ever could. Something like 2.5:1 for a good converter on the initial hit vs 1:1 for the manual trans setup.

As I said, personal preference and there are a lot of guys who do sacrifice a faster timeslip and consistency because they like to bang gears.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I said its all personal preference. The autos at the track are not only used for consistency but because not even the world's best driver on his best day can't shift as fast as an auto. Also, torque multiplication of a good converter allows an auto to come out of the hole harder than any manual ever could. Something like 2.5:1 for a good converter on the initial hit vs 1:1 for the manual trans setup.

As I said, personal preference and there are a lot of guys who do sacrifice a faster timeslip and consistency because they like to bang gears.
MODDED MODERN auto or built auto trans. Otherwise, Shifing gears faster than an auto is easily done. As for launching, yes that too. Now, a manual can be revved up to a million RPM to dump the clutch on the stickiest possible slick to have a similar launch but you may not have many more launches left after that haha.

I don't argue that for the fastest goal, a built auto trans outdoes a "built" manual as the driver can't be built to shift faster than hundredths of a second.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Modern as in when? Plenty of C4s with manual valve bodies that will shift so hard/fast you should probably wear a neck brace lol. And anyone with a 4R trans and $60 worth of gaskets and a few drill bits can have their trans shifting way faster than you can in a stick. But that probably does count as a "modern" electronically controlled trans.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I do mean electronically controlled. The "neck snap" you feel is the fact that the car doesn't have that lull in the shift and it is a direct 1-2 shift. A person can still shift faster. Though not consistantly. Additionally, in a race measured just in a 1/4, even if you can match the speed of the auto shift with a manual, the auto will most likely have shifted less times and be ahead regardless.

There is no doubt an auto is what you want for consistant, reliable times ESPECIALLY if you race for earnings where dial in is almost perfect everytime. But you will find articles of tests, (take them for what they are), where a driver can shift equally as fast as an auto transmission if it simpley has a shift kit. Although, the fraction of time the manual spends in neutral still nets them a slower time by a tenth or two.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

My coyote was busting on the doors of 11s with just a CAI, lower control arms and a decent set of tires. It's a 6 speed manual and I can 60ft just like anybody else can in an auto. It's about knowing how to drive. My first time on the track with it ever and bone stock I ran a mid 12. Since then I went 12.15 with the mods I posted above and 60ft a 1.7 something... Like I said if you can bang gears then it's just as good. In order to be able to bang gears with the manual coyote though you have to address the transmission and shifter mounting otherwise you're going to be getting locked out of gears left and right. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397075807.172414.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	153402
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Every manual transmission 1996 Corvette was a LT4, it was an end of model run thing IIRC. My father's is a completely base model 1996 stick, white exterior on red/black leather. Gorgeous car.
Any pics? I would love to see his car, good color combo.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol at ppl suggesting you can shift as fast as an auto. No you can't and if you think you can then you are delusional. There is a reason all the fastest cars are autos and its not because of consistency its because if they had sticks in there they'd be a second slower. If you think otherwise you need to get to more tracks or go to yours on a day when there are some serious cars showing up.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Any pics? I would love to see his car, good color combo.
I can pull the cover off it when I go over there to let my Parents' dogs out tomorrow during lunch and snap a few pics. Its probably the nicest C4 I've seen including his last 96 which was a collector's edition silver convertible that lost it going around a corner and he wrecked. Insurance paid out the $25k or so it was worth and he picked up this white one for $15k and pocketed the rest. Sounds almost too convenient but he almost died, was not a good day... Seeing the wreck when I went to go see if his sunglasses had survived and were still in it ($200 pair) was pretty bad...

Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can pull the cover off it when I go over there to let my Parents' dogs out tomorrow during lunch and snap a few pics. Its probably the nicest C4 I've seen including his last 96 which was a collector's edition silver convertible that lost it going around a corner and he wrecked. Insurance paid out the $25k or so it was worth and he picked up this white one for $15k and pocketed the rest. Sounds almost too convenient but he almost died, was not a good day... Seeing the wreck when I went to go see if his sunglasses had survived and were still in it ($200 pair) was pretty bad...
Thank God he didn't get hurt. Dang $10k profit, those sunglasses must have been a special gift to go back for them lol. I didn't know until your recent post that the LT4 cars came in different colors. I've been wrong since 1996. Learn something new everyday lol.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm just amazed those sunglasses were still there and that the people picking up the wreckage actually did what they were supposed to and put everything at the crash scene they could back into the car. But yeah I'm amazed he walked away with minor injuries from a fiberglass car designed in the 80s that lost control at a pretty good speed around a corner. He missed the telephone poles which is probably why he's alive.

And yeah every 96 Vette that was a stick shift was the LT4, autos got LT1s. Very underrated engine/car IMO. Thing has a ton of low end and pulls hard all the way to redline. I think they are rated at 340hp from the factory but it has to be more. And if its not I can't imagine a simple cam swap and tune wouldn't kick it up over 400.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2013 mustang