Noob question about Tunes. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Noob question about Tunes.

So I my X4 Tuner is on the way from AM and I had a question.

So if I load a 93 octane tune on my stang and run a lower octane what are the consequences or effects?

and vice versa...

If I load a 87 octane tune and run a higher octane fuel what are the consequences or effects.

Just a noob question first time tuning and I don't want to ruin anything.
Frozen Yettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You could blow your engine if you run a lower octane than the tune that is the effect/consequences. Running higher won't hurt the engine but is completely pointless. Although I would not run a canned tune without a wideband. What if they screwed something up? You'll have no way of knowing.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #3

Region: Oklahoma
Another mod noob here. To clarify... When I ordered my X4 from American Muscle the performance octane that I selected was listed as 87/89. The tune sheet that came from SCT said 87 and running any other octane would seriously damage the engine. I just filled up with 89 the day my tuner came in. Is my engine safe? Or should I burn off the 89 and fill with 87 before tuning?
I also just installed some Borla axle backs. Do I need a new tune?
jellis763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know about the octane situation your in but I suggest just use it up then but 87 in to be safe. The axle backs do not need a new tune.

2011 Kona blue GT.
kona stang707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
You can run higher Octane "GAS" then the tune "Specs" , but NOT LOWER.

For example, if you had a full tank of 93 in the car and a 93 tune, but planed to drive to the land of Kali that doesn't have 93 octane. So you put a 87 tune in your car, but you don't need to drain the 93 out of the Gas tank.

If you have a tank of 87 in your car and put in 93 octane tune, you will cause detonation in the cylinders and hurts of your pistons and causes engine damage. So you drive out that tank to the last drops, and then fill up with 93 before putting in the 93 tune.

See the difference scientifically? Octane is created with additives that suppress detonation and support more timing advance and higher compression ratios. Using more then you need wastes the cost of the extra money, using less then you need causes engine damage.

In the old days that Additive was known as Tetra-Ethyl Lead. Fillier up with Ethyl was an old time saying, and in the 60s Flintstones cartoon, Ethyl was the name of a gas station Dynosour. Octanes were like 91 cheap stuff, 93 regular, 95 Ehtyl, 98 high-test, and 104 tiger in your tanks ....

Tetraethyllead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The BS on Wiki about ethanol being better but Ethyl pushed for profits is hack. The price at the pump was cheaper for consumers for lead then it was for Ethanol for the same mileage. "Later Safer methods for making higher octane blending stocks such as reformate and iso-octane reduced the need to rely on lead, as did other antiknock additives of varying toxicity including metallic compounds such as MMT; oxygenates including MTBE, TAME, and ETBE."

However government welfare to the corn industry is forcing more ethanol on us that damages motors more over a longer period of time then MTBE, as E15 is said by Ford to damage your motor and they wont warranty it. MMT as a true octane booster is all I could only find in the normal consumer market last I looked, in the expensive NOS brand Octane Booster. But in those amounts MMT may even leave orange spots on your O2 sensors.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Another newbie question here. Highest octane fuel I can get in my area is 91 non-oxygenated fuel. Could I still run the 93 octane tune without the risk of detonation?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

No

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
Another newbie question here. Highest octane fuel I can get in my area is 91 non-oxygenated fuel. Could I still run the 93 octane tune without the risk of detonation?

A lot of people have the same issue. Who is your tuner? Most companies offer a 91 tune as well as a 93.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I have run into the problem of carbon build up from running too high of an octane. Just a heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
LivelyMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:16 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Simple solution, run the gas out, full up with recommended octane and always use it.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
See above here again: If you have a tank of 87 in your car and put in 93 octane tune, you will cause detonation in the cylinders and hurts of your pistons and causes engine damage. So you drive out that tank to the last drops, and then fill up with 93 before putting in the 93 tune.

So no, you cant use a tune that has an Octane greater then what you will supply it in the "gas"
Old 03-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivelyMustang View Post
I have run into the problem of carbon build up from running too high of an octane. Just a heads up
Yes, that is a possibility in extended use of higher octane then needed and reported by several folks. But likely not to hurt anything while you drain it out of the tank on a lower tune number over a couple days.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Jellis763 from tulsa. Nice to meet you I am from Tulsa as well. Maybe we can meet up sometime in the future. And to reply to thread I run 91 octane fuel in my GT with a 93 octane tune and it runs fine. I have been running this tune for over 3 years.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I don't have a tuner yet for my Mustang. Was going to order one, but decided to get wheels instead. Think they will get me in less trouble.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Octane is the measure of how hard it is to ignite the gas. If you run lower octane gas, the fuel might ignite before you want it to, which cause s pre-ignition and detonation in you engine.

If you run 87 octane and just lightly tool around town on a cool day, you're going to be fine.

If you run 87 octane on a 93 octane tune and then go out and beat the **** out of your car, you are going to have problems.

If you have a 93 octane tune and there is nothing but the crappy gas around, throw some octane boost in the gas.

If you don't like octane boost, keep 2 gallons of VP 116 octane race fuel to add with the cheap **** to raise the octane.

The 93 octane is what you should run if you are going to push your car to the limit, or if it is hot out and engine running temps are a touch higher than usual. You can idle your car around with 89 just fine. Just don't go WOT ever or you will eventually detonate and cause engine damage over a short period of time.

What these tunes do is run the timing a little more advanced than the factory sets them at and tweak the fuel map a little.
When the timing is closer to the ragged edge, you run more octane to stay safe. The amount of money you spend on the tune and the higher octane gas would go a Fck ton farther if you put it towards any other power improving option like nitrous or even just some better rear suspension
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
I don't have a tuner yet for my Mustang. Was going to order one, but decided to get wheels instead. Think they will get me in less trouble.
In all honesty, a wider set of rims and some new tires will do more performance improvements than "tuning" a bone stock car..
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPrice View Post
Hey Jellis763 from tulsa. Nice to meet you I am from Tulsa as well. Maybe we can meet up sometime in the future. And to reply to thread I run 91 octane fuel in my GT with a 93 octane tune and it runs fine. I have been running this tune for over 3 years.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Then your tune was conservative or it was a canned "premium gas" tune that was set for 91 to be safe. An aggressive 93 octane tune will have issues if you run 91 end of story.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
In all honesty, a wider set of rims and some new tires will do more performance improvements than "tuning" a bone stock car..
Not true, you'll be slow with wider tires and still have the terrible stock lower control arms/chassis flex too. Now with gears or exhaust yes... Imo a 2v owner should just do everything at once and tune it. It's not a super duper lot of money if you diy everything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion