Pro's and Cons of No Cat Converter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Pro's and Cons of No Cat Converter

I just got my 2002 V6 done, and I wanted to get some input on pros and cons (even though I know it's a little late now). I'm super stoked and it sounds amazing though!
LadySleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySleeper View Post
I just got my 2002 V6 done, and I wanted to get some input on pros and cons (even though I know it's a little late now). I'm super stoked and it sounds amazing though!
There are NO CONS for you! You live in California and they are required by law to pass smog requirements.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Pros - sound, performance, can sell them for a decent amount at scrap yards, and sound

Cons - not street legal anywhere in the states, can carry anything from a "fix it" ticket to a very hefty fine, and gas mileage will go down because the sound makes the foot heavier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 04:43 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
And re-sale. Without the cat(s), it's illegal to sell the car. Even with an "as is" clause, you can be fined and required to pay to have it installed, or forced to buy it back.

Hope you kept them to install when its time to trade in or sell the car.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately the legality of the matter is dependent on if the ruling party wants to be a d!ck or not. I've had chats with LEO's about our cars with illegal exhaust. Most that I've talked to are car guys or at the very least, respectful of the hobby.

Sent from church, because I'm out of cheerios.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, I kept the cat so when the time comes I can put it back on(: but other than that how does it affect hp and torque?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Not too much, it just frees up the exhaust a little more.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I remember someone told me it lowers hp but ups torque or something like that
Old 04-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
And re-sale. Without the cat(s), it's illegal to sell the car. Even with an "as is" clause, you can be fined and required to pay to have it installed, or forced to buy it back.

Hope you kept them to install when its time to trade in or sell the car.
If I had known this when I was 19 the guy who sold me my first Mustang would have been buying it back. Although in hindsight that car MADE me learn to work on these cars and the rest, as they say, is history.

As far as the OP. Cons are that it is illegal, if you had it done then the shop that did it could be shut down or pay a big fine if they get caught doing it, a cop can issue you a fix it ticket or if they are having a really bad day can have your car impounded and with today's high flow cats the only real benefit is sound. Which is a big benefit to some... Hopefully they didn't cut the cat out and just weld a pipe in because you will need the stock mid pipe or have a cat re-installed when you sell the car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion