Mustang vs. Children - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #106
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMachine View Post
anyone got recommendations on a rear facing seat for a 2014 GT?

I once put my son in his Chico keyfit rear facing car seat back there. It worked fine but the passenger seat had to be pretty far forward. That's kind of the problem you will always have with these in the mustang. You always want them level, and by the time you do that it's taking up a ton of space. Now that my son is facing forward, all those problems are gone. But I rarely put him in my car. I believe once with each car seat. Sorry you got a bunch of crap for asking. Obviously the stang isn't the best choice to transport the kids, but it will work. It has the proper clips and it's safer than putting them in an 85 Honda.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 11:53 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
While I agree with Rap and 8th, I still have a car seat in my backseat for my 5 year old. Hate the way it looks back there because it looks out of place. My daughter loves it though, she hates when we take my wife's Camry somewhere.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 AM   #108
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Booster seat and a kid old enough to get by with said booster works fine actually. My kid loved riding in the 98 and keeps bugging me about going in the "new silver car" lol.

There was a guy at work tho who had TWO forward facing car seats in the back of his NE. And not hooked up to the third anchor up top... I pointed this out to him and he basically told me to mind my own business. Some people... SMH...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 12:21 AM   #109
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Well... My wife is minature and sits with her seat pretty far up anyways so I may be able to fit our daughter behind her
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:29 AM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Same here, my wife is short, my son is 4 and we have always fit fine.
I remember when i was a kid, my mom had a 72 mustang and i loved it, i didnt care how tight it was.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:58 AM   #111
Road Trip!
Regular

I forgot the name of my daughter's seat but she's comfy. I do have it clipped on to the anchor where the top goes in and with the seat belt. If I were to have a second child then I'll be out of luck

Sent from my LG-D851 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:46 AM   #112
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
I simply could not imagine doing the kid thing in the 5.0. Thank god for a dd.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:14 AM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
I simply could not imagine doing the kid thing in the 5.0. Thank god for a dd.
What I couldn't imagine is telling my kids they can't ride in the car. That would be a dbag move. The car seat is not that hard, I don't have to crawl in to back seat, I just pull seat forward reach in and make sure she's fastened in car seat. Really not that hard. when we need more space we take the wife's Camry. Besides I'm not too cool to rock a car seat, it's part of being a parent. The important thing is the kids and wife love the car too and enjoy it as much as I do when we take it out. Honestly I drive alone 90% of the time anyway.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:30 AM   #114
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
This brings back memories...when my son was born (1988), we drove a 1987 Monte Carlo SS; we loved that car. We had to travel from North Carolina to Florida often to visit family, and my wife complained about the two doors, and getting our son in and out of the back seat. So we traded our beloved car for a Chevy Corsica; yuk!

If you can manage, keep the Mustang. Take lots of pictures of your child riding; someday they will be proud to brag that their parents toted them around in a Mustang!
Old 06-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1433330828.130567.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	183996Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1433330846.030703.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	183997

Where we go they go!.. The best mods I made to either Mustang is the Car Seats!.. The Mustang Life is a Family Affair for us and the Kids Love It!..

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Anyone got any more productive comments. I've seen and read some car seats fit I want to ask for 1st had experience please!

My 8 month old goes everywhere with me with no problem at all its not idea for family trips, but my Mrs. is barely 5' tall so we all fit perfect. I have a higher end model on the car seat, but I think whatever you have will work. If your Mustang is you only family vehicle then it could get rough if the Mrs. is not small, but if she has a car don't worry about it. I did at first hence me starting this thread, but it's a nonissue for me. The advantage I have in my Mustang is when Tristan gets fussy. I can reach him to pop in his pacifier without stopping or hand him a bottle. These things are not possible in the Mrs. Camry. We have to pull over and someone jumps in the back. She's actually jealous of how easily I can reach my son with no hassle at all.

With all that being said the simple answer is buy whatever. If the Mrs. Has her own vehicle, then don't worry about it. BTW I have a Peg Perego

Name:   ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1433333332.245177.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  16.0 KB

Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
My 8 month old goes everywhere with me with no problem at all its not idea for family trips, but my Mrs. is barely 5' tall so we all fit perfect. I have a higher end model on the car seat, but I think whatever you have will work. If your Mustang is you only family vehicle then it could get rough if the Mrs. is not small, but if she has a car don't worry about it. I did at first hence me starting this thread, but it's a nonissue for me. The advantage I have in my Mustang is when Tristan gets fussy. I can reach him to pop in his pacifier without stopping or hand him a bottle. These things are not possible in the Mrs. Camry. We have to pull over and someone jumps in the back. She's actually jealous of how easily I can reach my son with no hassle at all.

With all that being said the simple answer is buy whatever. If the Mrs. Has her own vehicle, then don't worry about it. BTW I have a Peg Perego
Attachment 183998

This here exactly!.. Plus when my two where real small (they are now both 4 and 5yrs old respectively), any time they got Fussy, just go for a ride in the Stang!.. Instant pacifier!.. Something about the exhaust tone seemed Soothing to them!..

The point being, Share Your Passion for Your Car with Your Kids from day one!.. And they will grow to Love you for it!.. Make the Mustang an Off Limits thing for them, and they will grow to resent you for it!..

Old 06-03-2015, 07:27 AM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If you can manage, keep the Mustang. Take lots of pictures of your child riding; someday they will be proud to brag that their parents toted them around in a Mustang!

Absolutely right! Try to make sure theres a mustang symbol in the pic, they will love that.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 AM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1433334524.681232.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	183999Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1433334542.482371.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	184000Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1433334561.350584.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	184001

Lots of pics!.. Got it covered!.. 😎

Old 06-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This is stupid. I will not put my daughters in my car while they are under 5. It's not safe.
For countless reasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lots of pics!.. Got it covered!..

Awesome!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

A neat follow up for a thread started sometime ago. Sounds like everyone's happy. I didn't comment earlier since our son grew up in a different era. Child seats were a poor facsimile of today's versions. Mom usually carried him in the passenger seat of our Pinto until he was old enough to be strapped into the back seat, lap belt only. We owned a Pinto and a Mustang II notchback between birth and preschool and a Pinto Cruisin Wagon when he started to school. We actually hauled kids in the cargo area of that vehicle taking them on field trips. I can remember putting the Star Wars soundtrack in the tape deck and all of the sound effects added by my little passengers. Fortunately, we were never rear-ended. After the wagon, we had an 79 Pace Car pkg Mustang, then a Fiesta. Simpler, more risky times, but we've always had a certain fun factor in those cars that we've enjoyed as a family. We spend too much time in our vehicles not to, IMHO.
Mustang No.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

For the uninitiated, this is a Cruisin Wagon, not ours but very similar:

There was a 70's oriented graphics pkg on almost all of them, but like this example, I removed it from our car. My wife worked at a vet clinic and they wouldn't let her park out front. They said it looked like a pet hearse.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
This is stupid. I will not put my daughters in my car while they are under 5. It's not safe.
For countless reasons.

Same could be said about any compact car with an idiot driver. What's the actual point you are trying to make

Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #125
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I remember the 2011-14's doing adequate at best in side crash ratings....just sayin. Rap, if that is the reason if it ain't OK for your kids why would it be OK for you?

Asked with respect........
Old 06-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For countless reasons.
No subtlety there, which is not your game, I know, but as long as the driver of the Mustang doesn't practice hooning while the kids are in the car, I think you could easily make worse choices re: mode of transport and heaven knows, I've seen 'em. To each his own would be my take.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #127
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I remember the 2011-14's doing adequate at best in side crash ratings....just sayin. Rap, if that is the reason if it ain't OK for your kids why would it be OK for you?

Asked with respect........
Also interested. While I'll agree if that's his toy (a.k.a. street machine), then I respect his opinion that it's not safe for the children, and respect him for admitting that.

Many of us have owned or own Mustangs, and had no issues with safty with our families riding along.

It does not make anyone a better or worse parent for using our Mustangs as a family vehicle, as long as we use common sense, and drive "properly".

I can recall my dads 68 Ford Gallaxy 500; seat belts in the back, but not required to wear by law. Me, my brother, and sister sat in the back; if we got out of hand or acted wild, my dad would hit the brakes and enjoy watching us hit our head against the back of the front seats.

Perhaps that explains alot about me now...but I survived.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #128
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
For countless reasons.

Not all of us drive monsters rap. I don't think 100 hp to a wheel is dangerous

Old 06-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #129
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I rode in some SKETCH vehicles when I was a kid. Anyone remember riding around in the back rear facing seat of an 80s wagon or laying in the back of the wagon just because? One good crash impact back there... oof... Or how many times I rode around in a pickup bed or anything like that.

I will say that if I let my daughter do a LOT of the things my Parents let me do I would have CPS showing up at my door.

Now as far as riding around in a Mustang... I have issues putting an infant in an older SN95 style car just because they really aren't going to do well in any sort of impact. Once my daughter was old enough for a forward facing booster though I started taking her for rides. Just have to be smart and if someone is revving at you at a light or whatever you CANNOT engage in that sort of ****. Not that you should anyway but its like 10x important with a kid. I've actually had that happen a few times and I'd just point to my daughter and shake my head and every time I got a thumbs up, sort of restored my faith in humanity... a little.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

It's not the power or speed or anything like that. On a side note I also don't let anyone in the car with me when I do "spirited driving"

I have seen how these cars look after a rollover. That's why I do not like kids in mustangs.

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #131
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
It's not the power or speed or anything like that. On a side note I also don't let anyone in the car with me when I do "spirited driving"

I have seen how these cars look after a rollover. That's why I do not like kids in mustangs.

Point well taken. There are many cars out there however that don't fair well in a rollover; some are in a catagory of an SUV or minivan. We see in the news, or read in the papers about some nut driving at a high rate of speed (usually during or after a holiday weekend) that crashes or flips the car. Then its reported that the children were not wearing seatbelts.

I think it's more a driver issue though. If you simply cannot drive respectively with children in any car, the driving should be left to someone else, or keep the children out of it. Adults can detect a nut behind the wheel and take appropriate action; young children cannot.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #132
Road Trip!
Regular

Unfortunately there are times when we are cruising on the highway and spot a kid without a damn seatbelt or riding in someone's lap.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #133
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Unfortunately there are times when we are cruising on the highway and spot a kid without a damn seatbelt or riding in someone's lap.

I hope this does not discourage anyone from having children riding along in a Mustang. Common sense driving and the correct child seat, and I see no issue.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #134
Road Trip!
Regular

Not at all. My little loves the top being down

Old 06-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Hats off to you guys seriously its kool seeing kids happy like that spending QT with the ole man. Its just a clear indication of how selfish and immature i am. Cuz i be Damn i spend my sunday afternoon vacuuming honeynut cheerios or stale Doritos outta the backseat.

I'm sure one day god will bless me with a junior and daughter where they can help me with their ride when they turn 18, but until then BM will be handing me her keys to the CRV...

Black 2008 GT "If it ain't hooking, it ain't booking"
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #136
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
be Damn i spend my sunday afternoon vacuuming honeynut cheerios or stale Doritos outta the backseat.

Try having to clean ice cream off the "leather" seats. That's what my wife's rondo is for

Old 06-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Thanks all and thanks for the support too. I'll keep looking and checking for the best seat.

No idea what Rap is about. Why isn't it safe? If it's a rear facing seat and anchored it's as safe as anything else.

I'm 6'2 and I fit in the back. My wife is 5'5 and I've been on an hour drive with 4 adult males of various sizes in the car with me driving.

I just wanted to know of any particular make that seamed to fit well.

The rear facing only seat has a handle and a clip base so as a baby carrier / rear face seat it un-clips from the push chair and clips and locks into the base (rear facing) in the back passenger side seat. Simples

Thanks again and keep the useful posts coming

Old 06-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
FYI http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...vehicleId=8013

Old 06-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #139
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

I'm 6'2 and I fit in the back.

pics or it don't count....... I'm digging the pics of the happy kids in the Stangs. Starting them to appreciate cars when they are young is cool.

edit: I looked at the safer car link (thx for it) and the rear seat side impact was what I remembered as adequate.

I'll also throw out one of my favorite safety questions: What would the effect on overall injuries be if instead of airbags there were steel spikes in their place?
Old 06-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
Hats off to you guys seriously its kool seeing kids happy like that spending QT with the ole man. Its just a clear indication of how selfish and immature i am. Cuz i be Damn i spend my sunday afternoon vacuuming honeynut cheerios or stale Doritos outta the backseat.

I'm sure one day god will bless me with a junior and daughter where they can help me with their ride when they turn 18, but until then BM will be handing me her keys to the CRV...

No food or drinks are allowed in the mustang period. Wife, kids and myself included. Nobody has a problem with that rule. The other important rule is no farting in the car either. We've taken a couple 1200 mile round trips with those rules and not one complaint, just smiles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion