Mustang vs. Children - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mustang vs. Children

So, the Mrs. is 4 months pregnant and reality is starting to set in. I've been window shopping 4-Door vehicles and it's making me sick to my stomach. My last 3 cars have all been mustangs. It's been well over 10yrs since I rolled in anything that's not a Mustang. So, you can imagine my hesitation/unwillingness to easily part ways.

Now everything I'm willing to tolerate as my daily driver is more than I would like to spend a month and I'm not willing to emasculate my daily driving experience to the point of depression. Yes, somewhat selfish. But I'm serious and at the end of the day a happy home is the most important. Plus the Mrs. is a banker and spending more on a car switch that I've been in a little over a year is ridiculous spending to her.

So here is the real question for the Mustang owning parents. At what age is it not practical to have your child in the back seat in a car seat. I understand it can be cramped getting in and out, but that's something I can deal with. I'm a firefighter on 24 shifts, so having to get my kid in and out on a daily basis will never be an issue. So when people talk about how unpractical it is, does that have to do with it being the main family car, or just being annoyed by the lack of backseat space as the child gets older. We are a two vehicle family with the Mrs. in a 2012 Camry

Preach to me!!!!!!
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have 2 kids. 4 and 1. When we go places we use my wife's
13 explorer.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

my little girl will be here in a week and 3 days, but I have my 2500 crew cab chevy, and it will work for now, working on getting a suv for us to have also.
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I have a 5 year old that fits in my 98 just fine with a booster seat. Pass seat is pulled up some but its not crazy. I would say a kid can sit in the back of even a SN95 style car for awhile. S197s have more room.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I am 39 yr pld and a sainlge father of 3. I have a 14 yr old boy, 13 yr old girl and a 9 yr old boy. We take the mustang everywhere. There is still 4 seats!!!

I have a girlfriend with 3 kids so if we all 8 go somewhere we take her explorer.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Why not just use the Camry when you need to take the kids places? My mom and dad did this before I could drive. He had/has an 02 GT and my mom had/has an 03 Explorer. It worked out just fine. They had two kids including me. Whenever my dad needed to take both my sister and I somewhere, he took the Explorer. If my mom needed to drive somewhere she drove the Mustang.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I think a kid would be perfectly fine in the back till he's about 12, then he/she might start complaining. I'd say the biggest headache is going to be the car seat stages, crawling back there to set it up and putting the kiddo in every time could get old quickly.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
No kids

Greetings,

Congratulations on your new addition!

There are some fantastic 4 door cars. Mustangs they are not, but fun to drive definitely.

Give a Mazdaspeed 3 a try. For a little hatch it is a beast. I sold mine to get into the 5.0 and I miss her quite a bit. Speed 6 is fun too and quite rare.

There are larger performance sedans too: Chevy SS, Pontiac G8, Taurus SHO, etc.

Or you could go the ultimate opposite direction and opt for a VW TDI wagon and join the hypermiler brigade.

Good luck,

G

2010 Mazdaspeed 3, sold. Absolutely loved this car.
galens47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I'm not sure this is an answer you'll be looking for, but my 2011 Mustang purchase was made from it's previous owner having to trade it in after only 2K miles he put on it. I contacted him after purchasing it from that local Ford dealership, as he told the sales staff he wanted to make sure the Mustang "was in good hands". He told me he had to sell it, as the wife was completely upset with having to crawl into the back seat area to fasten/unfasten the child into the child seat. So after only a few months of ownership, he went back to the dealer and traded it in on a Ford Explorer.

I've stayed in touch with him, meeting him, his wife, and daughter at a local Hooters when they host a Saturday car show. She's happy with the Explorer, and while he likes it too, he misses the Mustang.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
So, the Mrs. is 4 months pregnant and reality is starting to set in. I've been window shopping 4-Door vehicles and it's making me sick to my stomach. My last 3 cars have all been mustangs. It's been well over 10yrs since I rolled in anything that's not a Mustang. So, you can imagine my hesitation/unwillingness to easily part ways.

Now everything I'm willing to tolerate as my daily driver is more than I would like to spend a month and I'm not willing to emasculate my daily driving experience to the point of depression. Yes, somewhat selfish. But I'm serious and at the end of the day a happy home is the most important. Plus the Mrs. is a banker and spending more on a car switch that I've been in a little over a year is ridiculous spending to her.

So here is the real question for the Mustang owning parents. At what age is it not practical to have your child in the back seat in a car seat. I understand it can be cramped getting in and out, but that's something I can deal with. I'm a firefighter on 24 shifts, so having to get my kid in and out on a daily basis will never be an issue. So when people talk about how unpractical it is, does that have to do with it being the main family car, or just being annoyed by the lack of backseat space as the child gets older. We are a two vehicle family with the Mrs. in a 2012 Camry

Preach to me!!!!!!

So the problem is? You have two cars it doesn't make sense if both are the same. My two are a Tacoma and a Stang

I will say I had the New Fusion for a week the 4cyl ecoboost and really liked it, but it's a "normal" car
Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I have three kids 14,10, and 9. When we do family events we take my wifes flex. I use the mustang for a dd and to get my kids to and from all the diffrrent sporting practices there in. I freaked out when my wife first got pregnant and sold my 93lx 5.0 coupe and bought a suburban. my wife had a great car that was four door it's that I let fear and tunnel vision get to me. The stang will work out fine as long as you have one family vehicle.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

You have a Camry. Isn't that enough? If you have to take the kids somewhere use that.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

+1 for use the Camry
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Lol. I have 2 kids, a 4yr old and a 3yr old!.. When ever we go somewhere now, we flip a coin to see what car we take!.. Moms '06 GT, or dads modded '04 GT!.. Lol. People who say Mustangs are not practical, just don't know what's what!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

And yes the S197 platform does have a bit more room in the back as apossed to the SN95!..
Old 04-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I rode around in my dads 88 Mustang plenty before it got totaled. I just don't remember it cause i was like 1..... My car seat was in the back when it got wrecked, thank god i wasn't in it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
You don't need to go with the coupe. Could always go with the
sedan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10299973_10152090166527913_4459562624181839217_n.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	154919  
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I think one of the worst things going on in today's society is the bow down to the norm. The traditional path is old and played. The truth is any family is fine with two cars and one being a Mustang. Like others have said switch with her if it is ever a problem and you need the bigger car to take kids around.

When we lose ourselves to being parents it kills everything. I think it makes you a worse parent and a worse spouse. You are three things: yourself, a husband and a father (soon). Make no mistake about it for you and those around you to be happy you need to maintain all three aspects. Keep the car forever. By the time it is even a concern it will be paid for... then buy a DD if it is really a big deal.

Either way be true to yourself without taking from the others in your family and you will be fine. And when that kid comes love it and have a blast... but stay a husband too. Take the wife on dates in the stang at least once a month.

... Confucius says lol
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
I think one of the worst things going on in today's society is the bow down to the norm. The traditional path is old and played. The truth is any family is fine with two cars and one being a Mustang. Like others have said switch with her if it is ever a problem and you need the bigger car to take kids around.

When we lose ourselves to being parents it kills everything. I think it makes you a worse parent and a worse spouse. You are three things: yourself, a husband and a father (soon). Make no mistake about it for you and those around you to be happy you need to maintain all three aspects. Keep the car forever. By the time it is even a concern it will be paid for... then buy a DD if it is really a big deal.

Either way be true to yourself without taking from the others in your family and you will be fine. And when that kid comes love it and have a blast... but stay a husband too. Take the wife on dates in the stang at least once a month.

... Confucius says lol

Whoa that got deep. Haha but I do agree!
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 04-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

... Confucius says lol

+11. That's why I kept mine after we started having kids!.. I say keep the Stang!!...
Old 04-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on dates......Oliver Lake tommorow

Hopefully Ray Wylie Hubbard next week
Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
By the time they get big enough to not fit you will have the stang paid off anyway ...when that happens buy a older Subaru wrx for cheap...its 4 door fun and runs good in snow !and cheap on gas BTW I know a guy who raised his daughter in the back of a fox body so your good to go

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Do you want to always tell your kid about the nice Mustang you had but had to get rid of it because of them? Believe me, you will, I used to hear other people doing that all the time. When that kid gets a few years older, they will think your car is the coolest thing if you still have it.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
You don't need to go with the coupe. Could always go with the
sedan.
Lmao!
Cam Capollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Do you want to always tell your kid about the nice Mustang you had but had to get rid of it because of them? Believe me, you will, I used to hear other people doing that all the time. When that kid gets a few years older, they will think your car is the coolest thing if you still have it.

+11. My folks used to have a 1971 Cougar!.. But got rid of it because they had kids!..
Old 04-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Thank you for all the input people. I think I'll keep my Mustang until the wheels fall off. All the input was very much appreciated
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Thank you for all the input people. I think I'll keep my Mustang until the wheels fall off. All the input was very much appreciated

Good decision! You will thank yourself years from now. If I had a nickel for every time someone sees my '79 T/A and says "I used to have one of these" or tells me about a family member or friend that "used to have one". Don't be one of those "used to have" people.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
evolution
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m4.png
Views:	147
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	155000  
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Does this work?

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398453699.415991.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	155005
Old 04-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Does this work?
Attachment 155005

That almost looks natural... Lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
That almost looks natural... Lol

Fusion-like! Ha!
Old 04-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Destination S19
Quote:

... Confucius says lol
Check out this clip from Love the Beast. He talks about cheating your children out of their father by losing your passion for life if you give up what you love for other people.

Eric Bana Jeremy Clarkson Jay Leno Dr. Phill on Cars - YouTube

I'll never give up my cars just for a second set of doors to get people in and out of. My dad got rid of the cars he loved that happened to be coupes when my sister and I were born and he's missed the cars ever since. I can tell he wishes he still had them and although he may say he doesn't regret it, I know he does.

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Destination S19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

5 year old in booster.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1398469194093.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	155022  

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #34
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
5 year old in booster.
Cute. My 2 year old rides in the back but it won't last long cause my girl is tall so the seat is as back as both passengers can ride comfortable. The majority of the time we take her Saturn.
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly, even when my 5'3 wife rides with us she has room. That booster is bulky too, honestly the way she is situated in that car I'm thinking of just ditching the booster because when she sits on just the seat the belt goes right where it is supposed to. I'd need to make sure she'd be safe like that though. Would give her a ton more legroom.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion