New mustang advice needed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
New mustang advice needed

Hello, I have liked mustangs for a long time (since a buddy in high school had an 83 gt in 1987), but have only co-owned a 91 LX 5.0 for a summer. I am very sorry but I currently own an lightly modified nsx (with 165K miles), a modified track ready 91 miata, and a track ready 93 civic (with 250K miles). My only redeeming quality is two of my friends have a 12 5.0 and a 12 GT500 respectably, which I pressured them into buying. I've driven the v6 mustang and was impressed with the power and the feel, I've also driven a 5spd 5.0 and loved the power and sound, although it is too quiet. I have two kids so I rarely drive the two seaters and the civic, although quick and fun, is a teenager's car.

I can't afford a GT500 and a BOSS would be a stretch, a used 5.0 with brembo's is doable and a used V6 would mean more money for track days. I don't want to sell any of my cars, I've spent too much on them and I've grown attached. I don't plan on seriously tracking it because like the nsx, I can't afford to wreck it. My wife thinks a BOSS is the best investment, I tend to think a 5.0 (with stiffer springs perhaps, although she can't be able to tell, she is very adamant about not modifying it) would be less expensive. Insurance is very reasonable for the 5.0, cause I'm 43. I am a low paid teacher at a small school but I don't spend money on non-car related things. Sorry to ramble but I have a few questions....

What issues should I look for on a used 2011+ mustang, other than transmission, shifter, and whether it has been tuned?

Is the BOSS worth the extra registration, insurance, and interest $? Or can I modify a 5.0's suspension to get a similar feel?

Should I consider a V6 and have an excuse to drive it all the time because it gets much better gas mileage than our two old honda pilots?

Thank you very much. Whatever car I buy will be kept nice for future generations.
rotaryjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Umm I don't really know anything about what to do on the new 5.0s, but I'm in for pics of this NSX.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #4

Old picture but hasn't changed since then much.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryjunky View Post
Old picture but hasn't changed since then much.
That thing looks pretty damn sexy. I've always had a soft spot for those cars and got the chance to race on a track with one a while back
Unfortunately the guy couldn't drive it like it was meant to he driven considering I managed to blow his doors off in my car.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I can already see that you take excellent care of the cars that you have.

Im a V8 guy so I'd have a tendency towards the 5.0 but you do have a good argument for the V6. The mileage and the ability to justify it as a daily driver makes it a truly practical choice!
But you drove the 5 litre, you know what it's like... it makes you do this...
The only reason, that I can see , to own a Boss is to SERIOUSLY track the car. They're expensive and as far as a collector car goes, they will depreciate first before they ever start appreciating in value., like all of the rest. And, you can make a GT just as fast or faster and not be molesting a Boss 302. As a matter of fact, I have never seen a Boss 302 show up at the track that was competitive, but there are some hella fast 5.0's.
Looking at your garage, you already have some fun cars. Those Miata's are a blast and a very inexpensive track car and the NSX, well, not many people have one of those! In your case, I'd probably go with the V6 and daily drive it since you already have a couple of cars that you can beat on at the track.
As you already mentioned, the 6spd trans and overly aggressive tunes seem to be the majority of the shortcomings for the 5.0

Everyone dies but not everyone lives... Get the car that you think will make you the happiest!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
+1 with straybullitt. you already got your speed machines covered in your garage. The 305hp V6 is way more than adequate for a DD. You can save money by getting a V6 and do some simple bolt ons and land just short of the GT in terms of power for less money, however, my opinion is biased since as a college student I can't afford a GT yet
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #8

Great advice, thank you. As for not being able to afford a car, I saved for ten years for the nsx and bought a high mileage one in need of a clutch. I also made money for it selling an FD RX-7 that I bought and actually made run well. Takes a plan and patience some time, especially if your job is "idealistic".
Old 04-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Test drive a V6 and a V8 new at a dealer and see what YOU think. The new V6 is very powerful in all honesty... its more than enough for 90% of ppl who want a Mustang. However, the 5.0 is pretty crazy. I know you aren't buying new but they don't know that.

As far as the 5.0s, besides the shifter issues you have to watch out for Cylinder #8 overheating. Like the C headed cars of the 99-04 era, the Coyote heads have a "dead end" for the coolant by the #8 cylinder causing it to run a little hot. There are kits you can buy to fix this but I'm not sure if they can be done with the engine in the car like you could with the 99-04 cars.

With that said, if you want a weekend drag car, a 5.0 automatic is a nasty beast that you can DD and get 20-25mpg. Tune, aftermarket converter, track tires and exhaust and you have an 11 second ride.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

Miata's have a similar cooling issue, I rerouted my coolant into the back and out the front. Huge pain to burp it now but works well under abuse. I used to drag race my miata, ironically, it was fun with BFG drag radials, ran mid to high 8's, in the eighth mile of course! I just save for track time now.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hello, I have liked mustangs for a long time (since a buddy in high school had an 83 gt in 1987), but have only co-owned a 91 LX 5.0 for a summer. I am very sorry but I currently own an lightly modified nsx (with 165K miles), a modified track ready 91 miata, and a track ready 93 civic (with 250K miles). My only redeeming quality is two of my friends have a 12 5.0 and a 12 GT500 respectably, which I pressured them into buying. I've driven the v6 mustang and was impressed with the power and the feel, I've also driven a 5spd 5.0 and loved the power and sound, although it is too quiet. I have two kids so I rarely drive the two seaters and the civic, although quick and fun, is a teenager's car.

I can't afford a GT500 and a BOSS would be a stretch, a used 5.0 with brembo's is doable and a used V6 would mean more money for track days. I don't want to sell any of my cars, I've spent too much on them and I've grown attached. I don't plan on seriously tracking it because like the nsx, I can't afford to wreck it. My wife thinks a BOSS is the best investment, I tend to think a 5.0 (with stiffer springs perhaps, although she can't be able to tell, she is very adamant about not modifying it) would be less expensive. Insurance is very reasonable for the 5.0, cause I'm 43. I am a low paid teacher at a small school but I don't spend money on non-car related things. Sorry to ramble but I have a few questions....

What issues should I look for on a used 2011+ mustang, other than transmission, shifter, and whether it has been tuned?

Is the BOSS worth the extra registration, insurance, and interest $? Or can I modify a 5.0's suspension to get a similar feel?

Should I consider a V6 and have an excuse to drive it all the time because it gets much better gas mileage than our two old honda pilots?

Thank you very much. Whatever car I buy will be kept nice for future generations.
You might also check with your insurance agent. If you modify a V6 or V8, find out on what charges the insurance company will want for aftermarket parts installed. If you don't include those and are involved in a car accident, you might not get the other installed parts paid for. Insurance companies have been around for a long time and they know all the shortcuts in reducing their payouts.

Good Luck on whichever you Choose!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
"low paid teacher".

Love the NSX. Go 5.0. Skip the Boss.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #13

I have three degrees, have been teaching for 20 years, have catastrophic health insurance plan, no pension, live in a high cost area, work long hours and much of the summer, and make less than 50k.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
I have three degrees, have been teaching for 20 years, have catastrophic health insurance plan, no pension, live in a high cost area, work long hours and much of the summer, and make less than 50k.
Priorities?

Doesn't sound like you need any of the cars let alone a new one? Whatever, I'm sorry for even bringing it up. Do what you want.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #15

Its all good. Regular public school teachers in my area do much better, 50%+ more including benefits. I know I have too many cars but it's all I put my money into, it keeps me working hard and being a good dad, and they are realistically worth more now than I have into them, including the modifications. Otherwise, my wife would never stand for it. I have never owned a car new enough to depreciate. We will see if I still have them once my kids start college in six years.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #16

The only car loan I've had was $1k for a 1983 "shelby" charger, twenty six years ago. Loved that car, believe it or not.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Aaaaand this is why you don't wanna be a teacher. Lol. I'll prolly be making near as much as you out of college with just a bachelors in finance

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Aaaaand this is why you don't wanna be a teacher. Lol. I'll prolly be making near as much as you out of college with just a bachelors in finance
Until your student loan bills start hitting... eff that. I still say if they want to do a major fix to the economy make student loans illegal and forgive everyone who has them. They'll bail out AIG and all them but not 20-somethings who got tricked into the whole "you go to college and get a job" thing. Don't get me wrong you still can, but not going to that private liberal arts college you aren't. And I don't mean YOU I mean "you" in general lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
tricked into the whole "you go to college and get a job" thing. Don't get me wrong you still can, but not going to that private liberal arts college you aren't.
Not sure I understand.

Are you saying you can't get a job out of college unless you go to a "private liberal arts college" ?
Old 04-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm saying the ppl who get poli sci or history degrees for $15k per year plus $10k per year for living on campus out of a private liberal arts college are going to have a fun time paying $800/mo on a waiter's salary.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Until your student loan bills start hitting... eff that. I still say if they want to do a major fix to the economy make student loans illegal and forgive everyone who has them. They'll bail out AIG and all them but not 20-somethings who got tricked into the whole "you go to college and get a job" thing. Don't get me wrong you still can, but not going to that private liberal arts college you aren't. And I don't mean YOU I mean "you" in general lol.
Agreed, way too many majors aren't employable, but it can give you an edge over other applicants without a bachelors at all. But tons of very dishonest colleges push debt on kids who don't even understand what interest is. Who wants to crack down on that? Its too complicated. Easier to write one check to a huge and powerful company and hope for the best. Tons of kids borrow money and then don't even finish, total waste.

I majored in econ, physics, in math. Its my own fault for choosing an idealistic job and co-founding a little charter school.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
New mustang advice needed

Quote:
I'm saying the ppl who get poli sci or history degrees for $15k per year plus $10k per year for living on campus out of a private liberal arts college are going to have a fun time paying $800/mo on a waiter's salary.

That's what loans are for. Yea it sucks paying interest and everything. But If you put your full education to use then the price of a college loan will be pennies compared to the potential it will give you.

I'd rather take out some loans and pay a bit of interest go to to a very nice and prestigious school than pay out of pocket without interest for an average school.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #23

My wife and I agree that our kids will get cut off if they decide to major in something fun. If I have a mustang, I can 'not let them drive it' when they switch to majoring in art or underwater basket weaving. So, really, it would be for the kids college. Should be a tax deduction.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, student loans suck. But loan officers make a nice salary and if you move higher than that, you be making 6 figures. Coupled with your wife, that's good money. I know a guy that is getting a art degree. He paints all day for class. Lol. He doesn't understand that he's going into massive debt, with no payout. Yeah he loves art but doin what you love won't pay the bills most of the time.. But whatever. He will be 20-40k in the hole and unemployed. I can recognize this and say, a finance degree is specialized enough to get a job. I also chose to make less than a waiter, to be a teller and grow up in a bank. This was a career choice for me because it's all about who you know.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Ah, yes, that's definitely true.

You can absolutely get those degrees, but you better get a very clear idea of what the job market is like for those types of jobs and also whether or not they're in demand. Also, depending on the profession, most college grads aren't going to make $60k out the door, they'll be lucky with $35k to start. I don't think most people realize that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion