Lease Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Lease Question

Anyone familiar with Ford lease agreements? I know almost all leases require you to return your car to factory standards, but what if I get a tune on my 2014 V6?

I might want to return my car after the lease is over and go up to the 2015 mustang, or I might keep my 2014. Still undecided.

My question is... If I get a Bama tuner and then when it's time to turn the car back in, I'll tune it back to the factory settings. Will Ford ever find out that I tuned the car and charge me for it? (I know they can find out if I tuned it, but will they actually find out?)

Thanks!
stevenli204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The new PCM's used are easily detectable as to if they have been altered (tuned), but doubt they would charge you for it...what would they be "charging" you for?

As long as you return it the way you got it, I see no problem with modding it while you are making the lease payments.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Lease Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The new PCM's used are easily detectable as to if they have been altered (tuned), but doubt they would charge you for it...what would they be "charging" you for?

As long as you return it the way you got it, I see no problem with modding it while you are making the lease payments.
Bucko said what I was thinking.

I doubt they charge you for being tuned. They could care less, as long as they get their money.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenli204 View Post
Anyone familiar with Ford lease agreements? I know almost all leases require you to return your car to factory standards, but what if I get a tune on my 2014 V6?

I might want to return my car after the lease is over and go up to the 2015 mustang, or I might keep my 2014. Still undecided.

My question is... If I get a Bama tuner and then when it's time to turn the car back in, I'll tune it back to the factory settings. Will Ford ever find out that I tuned the car and charge me for it? (I know they can find out if I tuned it, but will they actually find out?)

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

I've never leased a car, but I agree with Bucko. He's pointed you in the right direction. As long as everything is back to stock when you trade it back in you shouldn't have any problems!

Good luck!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
I've never leased a car, but I agree with Bucko. He's pointed you in the right direction. As long as everything is back to stock when you trade it back in you shouldn't have any problems!

Good luck!

-Dan

Hey Dan, did you get my PM? Thanks
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay, I'm worried I might get charged because I voided the warranty when tuning the car. Is that a possibility for them to find a loophole to charge me extra?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB3 View Post
Hey Dan, did you get my PM? Thanks

Of course there is the possibility.

Probably very low... But I bet buried in your lease agreement is some clause on modifications.

And since a tune can void the warranty (and technically puts additional strain on the drivetrain), they could certainly hold you to some penalty.

Would someone even check for a reflash when you turn it in? Who knows. Some ford techs are lazy SOBs. Others are thorough. Depends on the dealership. If I owed a dealership and found a way to squeeze more money out of you... I would. It is a business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh okay, I'm worried I might get charged because I voided the warranty when tuning the car. Is that a possibility for them to find a loophole to charge me extra?

Thanks!

Yes. But you don't need to tune it for the stealership to try and charge you extra. Lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Yes. But you don't need to tune it for the stealership to try and charge you extra. Lol
Haha yeah, I already got my windows tinted. Who knows how much they're going to charge me to "remove the window tint"
Old 05-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha yeah, I already got my windows tinted. Who knows how much they're going to charge me to "remove the window tint"

700$

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Oh no...your doomed!

Seriously though, they won't follow up on it. They take the car back when the lease runs out, they do their "full 35 point check" to certify it (pre-owned), and sell it. Tinted windows is a plus to the dealer, as most everyone likes them, so thats a bonus to the dealer when you turn it in.

Here's another secret that dealers don't tell many folks that lease: about one or two months before the lease is up, turn it in to buy or lease another vehicle. Because the lease contract is not up yet, you can work a deal to get out of it early, and not have to pay any penalties you may owe, such as going over the allowed mileage, or changes made to the car.

BMW is one example. My wife leased an X3 once. We were allowed 12K a year. We leased it for two years, and after about 22 months, we quickly realized we were going to have to pay overages on the miles, as we already had 24 thousand miles on it with two months to go. So, we thought we would have to park it for 2 months. She called the dealership to find out what the charge was going to be (it was in the contract as well). The sales person told her to bring it in, and as long as we would be willing to lease or buy another BMW, they would allow us to end the contract early, without penalty, since the contract in a sense did not run to the end.

However, this is good for around 2 to 3 months before the lease contract ends. And its up to the dealer to participate; since most want your return business, they work with you.

I would not worry about a tune installed. Again, as long as you return the car "as recieved" you'd be fine.

Except for those tinted windows. Your doomed now! They are going to beat you with baseball bats like a dead horse.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
If you re lease from the same place they would probably not even glance at the car barring any obvious damage.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #13

Region: Arizona
As a former car dealer, with family members in the biz,...

(F)leasing is almost ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS A BAD move. When you turn it back in they nit-pick the car apart and almost always charge you for damage, excessive mileage, etc. in fact in the many years I spent in the biz I only saw ONE car come back perfect.

Now for the exception to the rule- if you want a Shelby. Since Shelby's are upward of $70,000 a normal car payment would be over $900/ month. A lease would only be about $450-$500. (I have a friend leasing a '12 Shelby and his lease payments are $419.00 his payout after the lease is $23,000.

Anyone who give advice that it's good to lease is NOT a friend.

One last thing, if you do lease, do what my friend did and have an invisible bra sprayed on the car, the ENTIRE car, he did that with his Shelby, cost him about $1,400. (And he plans on buying it out at the end of his lease.

Let us know what you decide.
AZ Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I've already leased my 2014 V6 so I can't back out of it now. Haha. I leased a M3 before and returned it with no issues but I didnt try to mod it in anyway.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
According to Ford - Lease a New Ford Car, SUV or Hybrid or Crossover | Official Site of Ford Credit

Leasing also offers unique advantages and benefits:
A variety of terms, including our popular 24/36 month leases
Seven mileage options to choose from
Customize your vehicle at time of purchase with approved accessories
No trade-in worries

If you look deeper, they say "Non-approved accessories and/or modifications violate the Excess Wear and Use agreement."

And here - Ford Credit Buying vs. Leasing Comparison | Official Site of Ford Credit

Customization

Lease
Customize your vehicle through your dealer at time of purchase with approved accessories.

Financing
Customize your vehicle at any time.

I would not do it, unless you are planning on buying the car at the end of the lease.

I know if I ran the dealership, I wouldn't accept a leased car back with any non-Ford approved tune. The car did not return in it's original condition, therefore, it is a clear violation of the leasing agreement.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion