120mph - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
120mph

Ok so my friend said she went 145 in her stock v6 mustang. I call bs because I've heard of v6 mustangs drive shafts exploding at 120... so could this b true? It's a 2011 or 2012 all stock convertible v6 mustang.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
austin0324baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The factory limiter is set at 113 MPH. The car is capable of around 150 with proper tires and drive shaft.

The factory driveshaft won't explode every time the car goes above 120, 130, 140 or even 150. It's just one of those things that happens occasionally.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
She's lying to you. The car is electronically limited to 113. Trust me, I have hit it. Lol
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

She said she has a chip. And has gone faster than 145 many times.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin0324baird View Post
She said she has a chip. And has gone faster than 145 many times.

Ohhhhh, with a tune, yeah that's possible. Dangerous, but possible.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 05-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Tell her she's a girl and that her story is full of holes. Girls aren't capable of driving fast. Who does she think she is?! Danica Patrick!?
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
Tell her she's a girl and that her story is full of holes. Girls aren't capable of driving fast. Who does she think she is?! Danica Patrick!?

Lmao +1
Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
3.7l mustangs don't get "chips" they get tunes .. sounds fishy to me lol
Old 05-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Is she from NJ? If so she may be on this board lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
Pretty sure Danica has never hit 145 either...
Troy
Old 05-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Nope she's from ga. And Ikr. Like chips? I was like mmmmm. Ok. Haha and moved on. But a chip? What would a chip do anyway? Lol
Old 05-15-2014, 05:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope she's from ga. And Ikr. Like chips? I was like mmmmm. Ok. Haha and moved on. But a chip? What would a chip do anyway? Lol

Idk. Some people call tunes chips even tho they aren't chips. On a related note, what was the last mustang to use a chip?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Idk. Some people call tunes chips even tho they aren't chips. On a related note, what was the last mustang to use a chip?
I 'think' 2004 and older. I know someone who has a 2004 GT (260 horsepower) and he asked me to look around for a 'chip' at a good price. I told him i would but i'm not
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Welp, hopefully she has a 1 piece DS because it is GOING to eventually fail if not and when that happens if this person is doing 140 on a public road...

First thing you should do is let her know to stop being a danger to herself and others and slow the **** down. Keep those speeds for the track.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Welp, hopefully she has a 1 piece DS because it is GOING to eventually fail if not and when that happens if this person is doing 140 on a public road...

First thing you should do is let her know to stop being a danger to herself and others and slow the **** down. Keep those speeds for the track.

I told her to slow down forsure. Haha I even showed her pics of driveshafts exploding at 130 I think. She didn't seemed fazed by it. But whatever floats her boat! Haha best of luck to her and hopefully she can control a stock v6 mustang with that 2 piece and stock wheels at 145 with a ton of speed wobbles and bouncing and possibly exploding driveshaft. She doesn't listen.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Welp... its not just her that is on the roads with her driving like a maniac. At best she is going to eventually lose her license and not be able to get insurance. You are GOING to jail if you are caught doing 140 on a public road and that is just fact. Not to say you won't be out the next day but I don't think anyone wants to spend a night. Worst case is she gets someone killed, herself or someone else.

I know I sound preachy... I'd go so far as to get a few other friends to really sit down with her and be like "ok, wtf is wrong with you" intervention style or if she still lives at home... I'd consider letting the dukes know what is up. I know if I ever catch my daughter doing **** like this when she is old enough to drive or still living under my roof there will be major consequences and a seizure of vehicle/replacement with the slowest 80s POS that I could find.

And before someone calls me a hypocrite, yes I can bet most of us have had one or two freeway blasts since we own sports cars. I did it all of twice when I was young and stupid and that's it. I know it was/is wrong and I don't make any excuses for it. I was LUCKY and was not ticketed and did not get anyone killed. I think the fastest I have been on the highway since is like 105 because in NJ you literally have to go close to those speeds regularly on the highway with 90-100mph being common in the fast lane.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Welp... its not just her that is on the roads with her driving like a maniac. At best she is going to eventually lose her license and not be able to get insurance. You are GOING to jail if you are caught doing 140 on a public road and that is just fact. Not to say you won't be out the next day but I don't think anyone wants to spend a night. Worst case is she gets someone killed, herself or someone else.

I know I sound preachy... I'd go so far as to get a few other friends to really sit down with her and be like "ok, wtf is wrong with you" intervention style or if she still lives at home... I'd consider letting the dukes know what is up. I know if I ever catch my daughter doing **** like this when she is old enough to drive or still living under my roof there will be major consequences and a seizure of vehicle/replacement with the slowest 80s POS that I could find.

And before someone calls me a hypocrite, yes I can bet most of us have had one or two freeway blasts since we own sports cars. I did it all of twice when I was young and stupid and that's it. I know it was/is wrong and I don't make any excuses for it. I was LUCKY and was not ticketed and did not get anyone killed. I think the fastest I have been on the highway since is like 105 because in NJ you literally have to go close to those speeds regularly on the highway with 90-100mph being common in the fast lane.

+1 I agree completely. 140? That's to fast. Like y the heck does she need to go THAAAAAT fast... Haha supposedly her parents r suuuuper strict. But yea not close to the girl nor any of my friends r. But I tried. Hopefully it worked! But uk how us teenagers are. Some smart, some dumb af.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
You are GOING to jail if you are caught doing 140 on a public road and that is just fact.
I have to disagree.

That isn't the point here hehe

She needs to stop.

That 90-100MPH comment though, that is exaggerated by far

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

In ga... ud b dead if u got caught goin 140. Lol

Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
This isn't the 1980s lol "chips" are a thing of the past.....there is a new invention ...its called the obd2 port lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
I have to disagree.

That isn't the point here hehe

She needs to stop.

That 90-100MPH comment though, that is exaggerated by far
You ever been on the NJ Parkway or Turnpike? I can be doing 80mph and am usually tailgated or move to the center lane so ppl can go by. So no, not exaggerated. Although the jail time for going so fast is probably a YMMV thing depending on your location and the cop.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
With a bama tune this is possible. haha but what is this girl doing 120 plus in the first place?
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Idek. She's 17 to add to that!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Idek. She's 17 to add to that!

Sorry, someone needs to tell this girl's parents if she won't stop on her own. Call me a snitch/whiner/tattle tale/whatever. I mean honestly how would you feel if she does wind up killing herself/another and you didn't say anything to someone who could stop the reckless behavior? Its not your fault obviously but if it was me I'd have a very hard time living with myself thinking that maybe I could have done something to prevent a tragedy like that. Especially if she kills a kid or something.

Hopefully her luck holds until she realizes what a jackass she is being or a cop makes her realize it.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry, someone needs to tell this girl's parents if she won't stop on her own. Call me a snitch/whiner/tattle tale/whatever. I mean honestly how would you feel if she does wind up killing herself/another and you didn't say anything to someone who could stop the reckless behavior? Its not your fault obviously but if it was me I'd have a very hard time living with myself thinking that maybe I could have done something to prevent a tragedy like that. Especially if she kills a kid or something.

Hopefully her luck holds until she realizes what a jackass she is being or a cop makes her realize it.
I have that's the thing. Nothings helped... so it's on herself now. And also I'm a senior. Last day was yesterday. Or at least I'm not going anymore so I won't c her anymore. But I did try

Old 05-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Welp, then hopefully a cop nails her and makes the parents realize wtf is going on. Oh well, you did what you could.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You ever been on the NJ Parkway or Turnpike? I can be doing 80mph and am usually tailgated or move to the center lane so ppl can go by. So no, not exaggerated. Although the jail time for going so fast is probably a YMMV thing depending on your location and the cop.
Yes. I work in NJ. Make regular trips on the parkway and turnpike. Yes there are cars going 90-100 but the VAST majority are going 75-80.

And about being arrested I was just teasing that I was lucky by the good graces of a cop. I was pulled over at 17 doing 147 in a 65. I was let go to drive home BUT I did not receive any tickets, rather court summons for reckless driving and endangering the public or some **** like that. I ended up paying thousands.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It would be one thing if its a guy but there is absolutely no reason for her to be trying to top out her mustang. Instead she should be concerned about her launch and acceleration. Within the first 5-10 sec of a race you already know who is going to win and all you have to do is get up to 70-80 mph.
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
This
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	156903  

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
This
looks like 140 is fair territory lol
Old 05-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Man, I am so glad I have a coyote, 145 is barely breathing for it!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

145 MPH in my Z28 is only about 3100 rpm .. car is still pulling down 20 MPG.

I can say that a 4th gen Z28 at 182 gets very, very light in the front end.. Needs aero mods for those speeds.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
145 MPH in my Z28 is only about 3100 rpm .. car is still pulling down 20 MPG.

I can say that a 4th gen Z28 at 182 gets very, very light in the front end.. Needs aero mods for those speeds.
You're saying at 145 you're getting 20 MPG? Absolutely not if that is what you were saying.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I really don't know what it gets at those speeds, I know it does 28-30 MPG @ 80 MPH, I would say more like 15-18 or so at those speeds.

All it takes is a 1/4 inch of throttle in 6th to reach those speeds (145MPH); 3.42 rear gear, 0.5:1 6th gear, about 340rwtq and 330rwhp at that RPM (not including the ram air effect) and about a .31 drag coefficient.

The car would only require about 220 rwhp to achieve that speed with combined losses of aerodynamics, drivetrain and tires, so I would say it's roughly possible.

Also consider that a 2013 BMW 335i xDrive gets 18 MPG @ 124 MPH (13.0L/100KM @ 200KM/H) and has the same drag coefficient, I don't think I am too far off.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I knew a girl named Katie in high school. Great person, everyone loved her and being around her.

Katie's funeral was in the Winter of 2011. She died speeding around an icy bend. The car slid off the road and wrapped around a tree. That was that. She only got 17 years. No reset, rewind, cancel...the event had taken place, I imagine, in only a matter of a couple seconds. She most likely didn't even know what was happening. High schoolers really do think "it'll never happen to me." Yeah, well it's gotta happen to someone.

Screw the drive shaft. She hits a concrete barrier at 145mph and she isn't gonna need to worry about the drive shaft. Tell her to slow the F down. Not only is she a reckless driver, but she's a relatively new reckless driver. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, but maybe you could show her this thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion