Convertible owners opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
Convertible owners opinions

As you know I recently acquired a Mustang GT convertible. I was at a family gathering on Sunday for Mother's Day and my father asked me if I knew about convertible tops. I asked him what he is talking about and he told me that in order to keep a top on convertible in good condition whenever you're not driving you should put it up. Which means every time I get in the garage to park it (whether I'm going out later or not) I should put the top up. Is this accurate? The reason I ask is because I do have a parade boot that I put on over my convertible topazes to take the parade boot every time I come home would be a major pain in the behind. Am I doing it harm by leaving it down 99% of the time?
AZ Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Trey View Post
As you know I recently acquired a Mustang GT convertible. I was at a family gathering on Sunday for Mother's Day and my father asked me if I knew about convertible tops. I asked him what he is talking about and he told me that in order to keep a top on convertible in good condition whenever you're not driving you should put it up. Which means every time I get in the garage to park it (whether I'm going out later or not) I should put the top up. Is this accurate? The reason I ask is because I do have a parade boot that I put on over my convertible topazes to take the parade boot every time I come home would be a major pain in the behind. Am I doing it harm by leaving it down 99% of the time?

When you put the top up, you are stretching it back into its original shape. You don't need to do it every time you park it, but you shouldn't leave it down for long extended periods of time either. I have two convertibles, one is in the garage and doesn't go out in the rain. Last summer I left the top down on that one for a couple weeks in the garage with the boot on. The only problems I have with that car is if I leave it down too long it is hard to clamp the passenger side.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Well, my dad learned this the hard way: if you get the top wet, then put it down and leave it down, it will get moldy. Lol
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Well, my dad learned this the hard way: if you get the top wet, then put it down and leave it down, it will get moldy. Lol

Yes, never put the top down wet.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I like to have mine down whenever weather permits. And I don't like to put it up and down too frequently. But I don't ever leave it down more than a few days at a time. I don't know if it's true, but I feel like it keeps the motor and parts from wearing out sooner and the top from fading too soon. Course, the flip side of that is everything inside the car gets more exposure to the sun.

+1 on never putting it down wet. You might also want to look into a good convertible top conditioner to help keep it clean and in good shape.

2003 Sonic Blue GT Vert
SonicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Some days I leave it down the whole day weather permitting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion