Wrecked mine tonight - Dammit! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Wrecked mine tonight - Dammit!

I was rear ended on the way home tonight. I'll post pic's tomorrow. An older Camry hit me going fast enough to deploy their air bags. The Camry is probably totalled. My car doesn't look too bad at first glance but when you look underneath it, it is pretty bad. My biggest concern is structural. Either my trailer hitch is bent or the areas it ties into are. It also appears that the gas tank has a wrinkle (kind of scary) and the left muffler and tailpipe is way out of whack. The panel between the gas tank and the back side of the bumper is screwed up. Worst of all my Bama / Roll Tide license plate is damaged. It drives fine with the exception of wind noise and muffler clanking sounds. Any thoughts on what it will cost to fix???
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbamafan View Post
I was rear ended on the way home tonight. I'll post pic's tomorrow. An older Camry hit me going fast enough to deploy their air bags. It is probably totalled. My car doesn't look too bad at first glance but when you look underneath it, it is pretty bad. My biggest concern is structural. Either my trailer hitch is bent or the areas it ties into are. It also appears that the gas tank has a wrinkle (kind of scary) and the left muffler and tailpipe is way out of whack. The panel between the gas tank and the back side of the bumper is screwed up. Worst of all my Bama / Roll Tide license plate is damaged. It drives fine with the exception of wind noise and muffler clanking sounds. Any thoughts on what it will cost to fix???
Sorry about your car. Not sure on what it will cost to fix her. But you can start with:

Fanatics.com: LSU Tigers Fear The Tigers Laser Tag

LSU Tigers Fear The Tigers Laser Tag
In Stock - Receive by May 22nd
Price: $21.95
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
That sucks. Most important thing is you are ok, hopefully nobody else was hurt but if you were rear ended its most likely not your fault. I would just hope they total it out and cut you a check. Much rather get a new replacement than have something with a major wreck on the record that may or may not get fixed properly if they don't total it. Good luck either way.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Good luck. You will probably feel it tomorrow, hopefully no injuries arise. I will give an estimate when you post pictures. Someone rear ended me and it costs 1400$... So your is prolly worse. Glad they had insurance at least!! That's always a main concern here in Texas...

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I worry about not having collision on my 98 sometimes but its only $20/mo to insure it. Plus the KBB on it is probably not much more than I'd get if I parted it.

But stuff like this is why me and so many others jumped down that dude's throat in 96-04 tech area when he said his insurance was high from knowingly driving uninsured. I'm assuming a 2013 would have collision though if the other driver did not have the liability to cover it. I've found that oftentimes damage that looks superficial winds up totaling the car and other times damage that looks really bad is a few panel replacements and a few $thousand of parts and right back on the road. I'd still try to get the agent to total it if it was me.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I had the car to a body shop this morning and got a good chance to look at it with daylight. What I assumed (wrong) was that my tank had a wrinkle is actually the trunk floor pan. What can I say - I was angry and adrenalin was flowing and it was dark... I had the alignment checked to since it was just done a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't changed substantially. Damage seems to be predominately cosmetic.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Here are the pics:

Old 05-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Bumper and a tail pipe. Not even that bad man! Should be good to go. Not sure how much new bumpers are but that's what mine was - tailpipe, bumper, and alignment. 1400$Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1400341766.472765.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	827.0 KB
ID:	157013Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1400341803.117589.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	791.3 KB
ID:	157014

Before and afyer

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 05-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Doesnt look that bad bro. I work in a used car dealership and this is minor repairs. U did mention ur air bags deployed??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Gotta Have It Green GT 2013 | Recaro | Brembo | Track | 3.73 Rear End | Boss 302 Intake Manifold -Dynatech Long Tube Headers - Magnaflow Full Exhaust & Tru X Pipe 3 - JLT Intake- SCT 91 Tune - BMR Pan Hard Bar - SR Performance Sway Bar Kit - Steeda Strut Bar - MGW Shifter Kit - Hankook RS3 275 Rear - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - Roush Front Lip & Roush Full Side Skirts
Hulk 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk 5.0 View Post
Doesnt look that bad bro. I work in a used car dealership and this is minor repairs. U did mention ur air bags deployed??

The camry's did. The car that hit him

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 05-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
The camry's did. The car that hit him
Ohh

In that case. You shouldnt worried about it. Remember u have a security brace behind the bumper which in worse case you want to replace and verify the mounting holes if they need straightning. Other than that your repair should be under $2k.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Gotta Have It Green GT 2013 | Recaro | Brembo | Track | 3.73 Rear End | Boss 302 Intake Manifold -Dynatech Long Tube Headers - Magnaflow Full Exhaust & Tru X Pipe 3 - JLT Intake- SCT 91 Tune - BMR Pan Hard Bar - SR Performance Sway Bar Kit - Steeda Strut Bar - MGW Shifter Kit - Hankook RS3 275 Rear - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - Roush Front Lip & Roush Full Side Skirts
Old 05-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said - the stuff underneath is messed up even though it does not look that bad. This morning's estimate is just over $5k. The body shop I really like is not open until Monday though. I'll be there at 8:00 am.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Here is the 'other guy'

Maybe this puts it into perspective:

Old 05-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Texting and driving?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 05-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ohhh ouch

Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have now been without it for 2 weeks.

I took it in for the repairs last Monday (June 1, 2014). They said they will not have it scheduled to finish until July 2 but will try to get it by June 27th. Before you go razzing me about the shop I will say this. I have the utmost confidence in the shop I took it to. The biggest problem was the other people's insurance company. Once the shop got it in (right after the other company admitted fault) they tore it down to see the hidden damage. It was substantial as I was told it would be. It took a couple of more days to get the insurance company back out to allow the other damage. Then they ordered parts - which I assume are all in now. Once they start it is supposed to be an 'industry allowed repair time of 17 days' whatever that means. Bottom line, this is when the clock starts ticking. They told me either late tomorrow or Tuesday, they will have all the cutting done that has to be done. I plan to go see it and take photos.

On the good side, at least I am not putting miles on my car for a month. First the rental company put me in a Dodge Avenger. What an absolute POS! I couldn't stand it and said I had to have something better - at least something with Bluetooth as I live on my phone. They put me in a loaded Chevy Malibu which I was not excited by. I have to say I really am pleasantly surprised and really like it - not as much as my car - but I like it. The 2.0 Turbo (+/-260 HP) is really kind of fun.

Man - I do miss my car though!!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Oh, god... once rented an Avenger... wow... lol. And not surprised that the Malibu is pretty nice. My mother has a 2011 Impala and its surprisingly good.

Also glad to hear you are getting your car taken care of the right way. Just remember, be a complete ******* if you have even a feeling that you might not be getting everything 100%. Nobody is going to be taking care of you like you will and these insurance companies are ALL shysters when it comes to this sort of thing.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If there's a shining star about this accident, it's that the car that hit you was insured, and that your car is repaired at their cost, and of course, no one was hurt.

You may want to look into "diminished value", as your Mustang is now going to take a hit as far as resale or trade in value goes. Request it, and demand it. They may low ball you on the amount offered, so head over to any trade in car site to see what your car is worth retail, and then what it's worth with the accident claim. Then insist they write you a check for this difference.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If there's a shining star about this accident, it's that the car that hit you was insured, and that your car is repaired at their cost, and of course, no one was hurt.

You may want to look into "diminished value", as your Mustang is now going to take a hit as far as resale or trade in value goes. Request it, and demand it. They may low ball you on the amount offered, so head over to any trade in car site to see what your car is worth retail, and then what it's worth with the accident claim. Then insist they write you a check for this difference.
QFT. Ppl see a mark on the carfax and run for the hills even though a properly repaired vehicle is totally fine. Its good he is documenting the entire process so he has a book of pictures for any future buyers when he finally decides its time to move on or trade in.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

A few new pics

Can you believe you have to order a whole frame rail when they only need less than a foot of it? Here is the whole one.

Other Pics:

Old 06-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hey, that's a good thing honestly, leave nothing to chance at all. Take a zillion pics like was already said. Looks like this shop is doing it right but time will tell. Hopefully their paint guy knows wtf he is doing and can blend it and make it look like nothing ever happened.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I know they are not done yet but I can tell you the shop has a stellar reputation. They are Bentley certified and their lot is full of cars that are waaaay nicer than ours. Ours probably mean just as much, if not more, to us though...
Old 06-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Got it back today

Finally - It has been many, many years since I had a car in the body shop. I can honestly say that I never missed having my car (any car) as much as I did this one during the past month. Yes - it took a month since i dropped it off at the shop. The shop did a great job and I know the work was done as good as any shop could have done it, but I still feel violated.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Did you get a big check for diminished value as bucko stated, because that car is worth a LOT less now since it has a carfax. I personally wont buy one with a carfax if I buy used. I don't care if it was the smallest thing in the world, I wont buy a car with a carfax, lots of people wont. The car is just as good as it ever was but the value took a big hit. That should be some money in your pocket!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I agree on the DV - and I have spoken with some attorneys (friends) already. It is very hard to get insurance companies in GA to deviate much from a formula they have embraced and has been established by precedent. I am working on it. I have also already approached the other insurer to begin discussion. For reasons I dont understand, they will not address it until +/-30 days after the repair is complete.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

So I would love to know what you guys (and gals) think the diminished value claim should be worth. In short, car is 26,000 miles in PERFECT condition before the wreck. Damage/cost based on completed body shop work order was a hair under $6,000 including left rear frame rail, left exhaust, spare tire well, bumper cover, paint and blend (all the way up to the doors), trailer hitch, etc.

I would really like to know - more than what you guess - what some of you might have received from an accident you had. History means more than somebody on a soapbox claiming what it should be worth.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I can't tell you, but if the carfax says it's been in a wreck, and had frame damage, then it's going to be a lot. When I searched for cars and saw frame damage on the carfax, I never looked again. Instant turn off

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion