Aaaannddd... thinking of selling the 98 again - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Aaaannddd... thinking of selling the 98 again

Have been kicking around selling it for awhile. I've got a feeler up on the Corral right now and that includes the new trans being in even though it is going in this week. Had a SNAFU this morning getting out of the house and re-scheduled that for this Friday.

Thinking of taking that $$$, finish paying off a few things I owe and then saving $$$ for a F body in a year or so or financing a Coyote around the same time period. My credit union gives me between 2.3 and 2.7% interest on used cars depending on the timeframe of the loan so I would not be opposed to financing something in the $17k range. I'm sure I could find a 2011 automatic 5.0 for that price in a few years and if not there is always a really low mileage 2005 or 2006 GTO.

Or I'll keep my 98 if it doesn't sell and supercharge it or turbo it in a year or two and enjoy 400 to the wheels for a little while as a weekend cruiser. My only real reservation in selling it is the fact that I know the history from 25k miles and its rust free and I've finally got it how I want it looking. However, its a 1998 GT, its not a collector car and there are other nice ones out there. Plus I have been having serious seller's remorse for getting rid of my 95 Cobra lately.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
You've got one of the cleanest sn95's on this site. Resist temptation for awhile, see if you still feel the same. You don't come across a well cared for Sn95 everyday. On the other hand, I can totally understand what you're tempted by. A coyote or ls1 are what wet dreams are made of. So I see where you're coming from. A very difficult choice here.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

I need to bang around autotrader and ls1tech and other forums and get a good feel for what a monthly payment on a Coyote or a LS2 GTO would be. I've seen a few SS Camaros with like 20k miles on them going for $14k but at that point I might as well get a Coyote or a Terminator.

The problem I keep coming back to is I can mod the **** out of this car without feeling bad because its a 98 GT, I know the history and its rust free. Also having a brand new trans and a lower mileage 2V that isn't going to turn over 100k for another 3 or 4 years at the pace I'm going.

I have my feeler price set a little high, I have a number in mind. I bought the car for $6k and there is 0 chance in hell I'm going to let it go for that with the new trans and interior and brakes/wheels/tires.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
how much do you think your car will sell for?
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

I know what it WON'T sell for lol. Not going to tip my hand because I'll probably post the same ad on here and a few other places.

A bit reluctant to post it on CL because I really don't feel like dealing with the scammers and boy racers that are all going to want to test drive it. I've learned the hard way when dealing with CL morons you don't let them test drive without seeing some $$$ first to know they are serious.

I don't have to sell it and if I don't get what I feel its worth I'll keep it and try again next year or just turn it into a DD that won't get driven in snow/ice/road salt.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

So what turns into your " new car " while you take a year or so to save up.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Come to the dark side ... We have LSx .. and cake.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

My Expy that I drive whenever the weather is meh. Nice and comfy, heated/air conditioned seats etc... Only issue is 17mpg but whatever, not like I get much better in the GT lol.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Come to the dark side ... We have LSx .. and cake.
Coffee cake?

Old 05-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Coffee cake?
It's the best.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:45 AM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Lol. I'll be honest, I made an account t on LS1 Tech a few months ago.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
*burns thread*

Turbo it an call it a day. Or grab a coyote. I feel like you won't get what you want for your car though, unfortunately. I know a lot of people that think the pre-new edge is ugly. Unfortunately, I was one of them when I got my first mustang. I had 0 idea they were slower than the new edges also.. Just didn't like the looks.. New edge is beautiful.

Put a turbo an smoke em!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

I probably will not get my asking price for it and I'm not going to give it away. Time will tell. I drove it to work today and really enjoyed myself. I will not be sad if I don't sell it but money talks as always. I know I could get $6k for it for sure but that is below what I feel its worth and I don't have to sell it.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I probably will not get my asking price for it and I'm not going to give it away. Time will tell.

Exactly why you need to turbo it! Hehe

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

If I keep it its staying 5 speed for street use. I will tork tech it if I do any power adder and throw in my old 3.08 gears to make it more street friendly. Also because 3.08s and a 3.37 1st gear multiply out to right at 10 which is the magic number for launching. Turbos go better with autos in my experience plus you need to do a tubular K member which I will eventually do but I don't really see the need for it with my current setup whatsoever.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
I will make this short and sweet.... Get the new 5.0 and be happy for the rest of your life period
Old 05-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
I will make this short and sweet.... Get the new 5.0 and be happy for the rest of your life period
I keep thinking of how much $$$ I will save when I don't have a car payment anymore in a few years. I go back and forth with that all the time because I can get such a good interest rate. Again, time will tell. If I don't sell this thing for my asking price... I'll hang onto it for awhile and see where it goes from there. I have not posted it on CL yet mainly because I don't want to deal with CL tire kickers or boy racers. That's even more annoying than the scammers honestly. If I am to sell it I'd rather another enthusiast get it and enjoy it than some idiot kid get ahold of it and then I read in the paper that they killed someone street racing.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I keep thinking of how much $$$ I will save when I don't have a car payment anymore in a few years. I go back and forth with that all the time because I can get such a good interest rate. Again, time will tell. If I don't sell this thing for my asking price... I'll hang onto it for awhile and see where it goes from there. Or I'll sell it to a member of one of the various forums I belong to. I have not posted it on CL yet mainly because I don't want to deal with CL tire kickers or boy racers. That's even more annoying than the scammers honestly.

Yea I know what you mean, cl will drag in a lot of scumm especially a car like yours. I would use that as a last cause. I love my sn95 to death but the new 5.0s are just a master piece lol and if you wanna some really street friendly gears you can have my 2.73 lol prepare to learn the definition of slow 😐
Old 05-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
+1 .. Love my new edge but I already know that anything I do to it will not keep me from one day selling it and buying a newer car!
I say get a 2011 5.0 and like Adogg says.. you will be happy with your car for the rest of your life.
Your 98 is clean but the interior swap and new wheels probably wont help the resale as everyone has bullits anyways..
a 2011 is not new and far from old.. its enough car to always feel like your driving your " dream car " IMO
Old 05-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lots of people have bullitts. NOT everyone has a properly selected non AM canned tire combo on them in this sort of shape. The interior... people who know these cars will pay a premium for an interior like mine. Also... not completely sold on the Coyote being the best of the 3 "Muscle" cars out there. Its the fastest in a straight line for sure. The Camaro handles better and, IMO, the Challenger looks the best out of all of them. Or I just get the Mystichrome Terminator I've always wanted and then really LEGIT by happy for the rest of my life.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Lots of people have bullitts. NOT everyone has a properly selected non AM canned tire combo on them in this sort of shape. The interior... people who know these cars will pay a premium for an interior like mine. Also... not completely sold on the Coyote being the best of the 3 "Muscle" cars out there. Its the fastest in a straight line for sure. The Camaro handles better and, IMO, the Challenger looks the best out of all of them. Or I just get the Mystichrome Terminator I've always wanted and then really LEGIT by happy for the rest of my life.

Your right I would kill for interior, thing is mint!!! But there you go sir if your going to be spending your money get what you really really want and don't settle for anything else.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

yeah a termi would make me happy for the rest of my life as well ...
And your rite, only people who actually know Mustangs will pay premium
for the cars! To anyone else they think of it as well I can get a 98 for a few grand down the road.
And comparing handling of the cars or what is faster in a straight line isn't exactly fair as I doubt you would be keeping the car stock...
If you were to get a newer challenger I would understand! I am just saying IMO if you are going to sell your car and buy something else.. go newer! Go for something you will be happy with for a long time.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Let's face it... The coyote is basically what the 99, or the 05 gt used to be... The biggest and baddest. Things are getting better, in 5-10 years people will be like "that coyote is a turd, my new (insert motor name here) making 600hp is a true masterpiece".... lol Just being realistic. The termi is amazing... My next car when I get out of college will be a newer gt though. I am pretty bored with new edges interior. I am ready to have all of the bells and whistles since I'll be able to afford it.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 05-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Let's face it... The coyote is basically what the 99, or the 05 gt used to be... The biggest and baddest. Things are getting better, in 5-10 years people will be like "that coyote is a turd, my new (insert motor name here) making 600hp is a true masterpiece".... lol Just being realistic. The termi is amazing... My next car when I get out of college will be a newer gt though. I am pretty bored with new edges interior. I am ready to have all of the bells and whistles since I'll be able to afford it.
Maybe not! There was a time when the mustang did not improve upon it's performances. It was called the 70's. It took almost two decades for a factory mustang to match the performances set out by the cobra jet 428 engine. I'm not saying there's no room for development, but realistically, how far are we from the next car changing fuel crisis. I don't think you'd regret it, but hey that's just me. I had a paid off 1999 Gt with tons of mods and pushing 300 at the wheels. I love my new coyote so much, I forget I even have payments. There hasn't been a day where it hasn't cheered me up in one small way. Seeing it for the first time after 1 month at sea, or driving it home after an 18 hour day of training etc. people don't always get our addictions, but I know what it means to me and it's worth every penny. Only you can judge for yourself. Sounds to me like you'd make the best of it. Life's to short to live with what ifs mate. It could all be over tomorrow. I got my check in the box next to coyote Mustang. It's all you man
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
No, the Mustang got its *** handed to it every year by the F body while it was in production. The Terminator was an 03, the F body ended in 02 so that technically does not apply although the Termi was as fast as a Z06 that year so there is that lol.

And yes the interior is the one thing that gives me pause when I think about getting a Terminator at some point. Although if I was ever to get a Terminator it would NOT be a driver, it would be under a cover most of the time and come out once or twice a week during the nice summer days and holidays. Yeah yeah I know "its a car drive it". Except the Terminator is a rare bird in that they are going UP in value every year as long as the miles are kept off them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Maybe not! There was a time when the mustang did not improve upon it's performances. It was called the 70's. It took almost two decades for a factory mustang to match the performances set out by the cobra jet 428 engine. I'm not saying there's no room for development, but realistically, how far are we from the next car changing fuel crisis. I don't think you'd regret it, but hey that's just me. I had a paid off 1999 Gt with tons of mods and pushing 300 at the wheels. I love my new coyote so much, I forget I even have payments. There hasn't been a day where it hasn't cheered me up in one small way. Seeing it for the first time after 1 month at sea, or driving it home after an 18 hour day of training etc. people don't always get our addictions, but I know what it means to me and it's worth every penny. Only you can judge for yourself. Sounds to me like you'd make the best of it. Life's to short to live with what ifs mate. It could all be over tomorrow. I got my check in the box next to coyote Mustang. It's all you man
I can't think how the Coyote will be laughable honestly. I mean 400hp in a driving car is not exactly a new development. Muscle cars back in the 60s and 70s had that sort of power, more recently you had the Terminator, many Corvettes and the GTO with bigger power engines. I think what will be laughable is the tech like the SN95 interiors are. Like "what, your 2011 Mustang does not have facial recognition and a self drive option?!?!?!?" will be what we are seeing in the next 20 years IMO. Performance wise... I think with the current technology we are about at what we are going to be at for a DOT approved car for the masses that drive on less than perfectly maintained roads.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, the Mustang got its *** handed to it every year by the F body while it was in production. The Terminator was an 03, the F body ended in 02 so that technically does not apply although the Termi was as fast as a Z06 that year so there is that lol.

And yes the interior is the one thing that gives me pause when I think about getting a Terminator at some point. Although if I was ever to get a Terminator it would NOT be a driver, it would be under a cover most of the time and come out once or twice a week during the nice summer days and holidays. Yeah yeah I know "its a car drive it". Except the Terminator is a rare bird in that they are going UP in value every year as long as the miles are kept off them.
The 03/04 Cobra was nowhere near as fast as the Z06's. The 2002 385HP Z06 was a low 12 second car at 116+ MPH. The Cobras were high 12's at around 110 (the same as a new Coyote).

The Cobra was however, door to door with a standard C5 in acceleration.

The late C5 Z06's were 405HP and have went 11.8 at 118 completely stock.

The Z06 ran 0-60 in just under 4 seconds. The Cobra did it in 4.5.

The Z06 pulled 1G on the skidpad, the Cobra only .9 G. The same as the previous IRS Cobra and SS/WS6 Fbody.

The Z06 had an EPA rating of 17/26, with highway MPG actually 28 - 31. The Cobra only 16/23.

I still do not understand why the 03/04 Cobras are held in such high regard.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok not quite stock for stock but it was very close. Pulley and catback and you'd pull on one from a roll and I know that from firsthand experience.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yes, but keep in mind the run of the mill gt's of the hey days produced no where near as much power. The shelby 428 cobra jet was king and it would be obliterated by a new gt and probably even by a v6, though that is mostly as a result to poor suspension components and drivetrain components. I get what you're saying for sure. It's a good time to own a mustang.
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Yes, but keep in mind the run of the mill gt's of the hey days produced no where near as much power. The shelby 428 cobra jet was king and it would be obliterated by a new gt and probably even by a v6, though that is mostly as a result to poor suspension components and drivetrain components. I get what you're saying for sure. It's a good time to own a mustang.
Yes a 2011 V6 will WTFPWN a classic 428CJ, not because the V6 is more powerful obviously. I was talking for horsepower only and you could get a 500hp Hemi back in the 60s.

And yes this is what I think is a golden age for performance cars until fuel becomes too damn expensive to run them again which was a contributing factor to the end of the "muscle car era". If gas gets up to the prices that it is in Europe... well...

Old 05-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I always get a kick out of hearing guys talk about how fast their cars were back in the muscle car days. They say, " I had a so and so big block, that had 450 hp stock, ran 11's and would whoop all over cars now a days."

Then I have to inform them of how much power those cars actually had, which to say .. isn't much.

Take for example the LS6-454 Chevelle, supposedly one of the three kings of the Muscle car era.
The car was rated at 450 hp @ 5600 rpm and 500 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm.

In reality .. well .... it's not so pretty. The car actually put down just 283 rwhp and 320 rwtq. - Chevrolet Muscle Car Dyno Wars - 1970 LS6 Chevelle - Super Chevy Magazine
Old 05-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I always get a kick out of hearing guys talk about how fast their cars were back in the muscle car days. They say, " I had a so and so big block, that had 450 hp stock, ran 11's and would whoop all over cars now a days."

Then I have to inform them of how much power those cars actually had, which to say .. isn't much.

Take for example the LS6-454 Chevelle, supposedly one of the three kings of the Muscle car era.
The car was rated at 450 hp @ 5600 rpm and 500 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm.

In reality .. well .... it's not so pretty. The car actually put down just 283 rwhp and 320 rwtq. - Chevrolet Muscle Car Dyno Wars - 1970 LS6 Chevelle - Super Chevy Magazine

But didn't the 426 Hemis dyno near the 500 range? I agree about the old cars being slow though. I've been to some events where the older big block cars will run down the track and they're pulling 14s and its like..."wow...".

Old 05-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Sort of .... Just like all the old muscle car engines, when they were dyno'd there were no accessories on the engine at all and they were running open headers. This type of testing was I think SAE Gross, so the numbers were hugely exaggerated from that. Also the engines were ran with less oil, under lab controlled atmospheric conditions (Negative DA basically), race fuel, timing and jetting changed for absolute peak performance along with other tricks and things.

Today, cars are measured in SAE Net or SAE Certified Power. What that means is that testing is more controlled, engines have to have all of their accessories along with factory manifolds. Also, they cannot tweak the tune for maximum power. If you were to pull the engine from your car, strap it on a dyno, it would put out numbers very very close to what is claimed. Also, for this power rating, the type of fuel used has to be mentioned. For example, the Coyote is 420 on premium and 412 on regular.

As for the 426 Hemi, Allpar has a dyno run from 1965 that a Chrysler engineer did.

The engine put out 463 hp and 472 lb-ft, once corrected. You can also see the timing is advanced 35 degrees, gotta love that leaded fuel.

426 Hemi dyno test - horsepower results

Also, later Chrysler gave out Gross and Net HP numbers, the 426 Hemi is rated at 425 HP Gross and just 350 HP Net.

As for converting Gross to Net, there is no set way to do that. As you never know how the Gross numbers were achieved. Typically, there is a 10%-25% difference between Gross and Net, sometimes it could be more.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I like to think my 98 was pretty clean. at least it isn't beat up like most of the mustangs we seen. My 98 was sitting at 194K miles before I sold it. Would've kept it but I wasn't really a big fan of that body style. Prefer 99-04.

XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:59 AM   #33
Road Trip!

Region: California
I didn't think sn95 were that good looking until I saw a REALLY super clean one! Now in my mind I hold all other sn95 to that standard on whether it is nice or not lol
shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek View Post
I didn't think sn95 were that good looking until I saw a REALLY super clean one! Now in my mind I hold all other sn95 to that standard on whether it is nice or not lol

Sometimes I do think that "its paid for, it costs $20/mo to insure, it has almost 0 corrosion anywhere on it (underside looks like a new car except for a few crud spots around the gas tank) and I have a Teksid block and forged crank I got for $250 sitting in the garage waiting to be built. I would be into it including the cost of the car for $12-$15k when all is said and done with a "budget" build/power adder/fuel system making between 500 and 600rwhp. That is a lot for a 1998 GT but I would not have a monthly payment either and I'd have a hard time finding a car as clean as mine, even a newer 2011 if its been driven in the weather around here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion