Car maintenance - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Car maintenance

Okay I wanted to get an input of what you guys do to take care of your car. I'm just starting to learn how to do everything but I've never changed my own oil. I know how to but I've Never done it. I'm going to start doing it though..so I wanted to know how often do you guys change your oil? what do you use? And what are other things that I can do to my car to keep from breaking down! Anything will help.Thank you ahead of time
Tangtang2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I change my oil every 3000 miles. Many people say that's way to soon but I like to keep good clean oil in my car at all times. I use the motorcraft oil filter, wix is good, avoid fram. Then motorcraft 5w20 synthetic.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
change your air filter
clean for MAF
Change your plugs and boots and springs inside the boots
replace your PCV valve
flush and fill your coolant
change your fuel filter
change your oil
change your oil filter
replace your belt

And then you will know the general maintenance on your car is up to date and where your car stands as far as that goes.

From there around every 3000 miles or three months change your oil and oil filter and clean or replace your air filter.

every 50,000 change your fuel filter

and that should be efficient enough to keep your car running strong.

ALSO some may argue this but its a good rule that if you originally have been using synthetic to stick with it but if you haven't then don't go to it as the consistency is a lot lighter and may cause leaks that the thicker oil wouldn't seep threw.

Same goes for flushing your transmittion fluid... if you have done it regularly then I say go for it but if you haven't and you do.. it may cause slippage since you will have flushed all the crap out.

with high millage cars a lot of the time the grime holds things together and once flushed can cause some issues. Such as flushing your engine.. could loosen carbon build up on the lifters and now you have a tick. But to each there own.. not saying don't do it but consider what I am saying.

The steps I listed may be over kill for a good running car however if your just getting into doing your own maintenance those are the main things every owner should know how to do and it can only benefit you and the car to do the work.
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
change your air filter
clean for MAF
Change your plugs and boots and springs inside the boots
replace your PCV valve
flush and fill your coolant
change your fuel filter
change your oil
change your oil filter
replace your belt

And then you will know the general maintenance on your car is up to date and where your car stands as far as that goes.

From there around every 3000 miles or three months change your oil and oil filter and clean or replace your air filter.

every 50,000 change your fuel filter

and that should be efficient enough to keep your car running strong.

ALSO some may argue this but its a good rule that if you originally have been using synthetic to stick with it but if you haven't then don't go to it as the consistency is a lot lighter and may cause leaks that the thicker oil wouldn't seep threw.

Same goes for flushing your transmittion fluid... if you have done it regularly then I say go for it but if you haven't and you do.. it may cause slippage since you will have flushed all the crap out.

with high millage cars a lot of the time the grime holds things together and once flushed can cause some issues. Such as flushing your engine.. could loosen carbon build up on the lifters and now you have a tick. But to each there own.. not saying don't do it but consider what I am saying.

The steps I listed may be over kill for a good running car however if your just getting into doing your own maintenance those are the main things every owner should know how to do and it can only benefit you and the car to do the work.

How about the plugs? How often do you thing they should be changed ?
Tangtang2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Open up the owners manual, most of the required service intervals will be listed there. Though 3k mile oil changes are excessive by modern standards, but if you have an older car they allow you an opportunity to assess its condition on a regular basis. I would never change oil that frequently unless the application required it or there was an existing condition that necessitated it, but that is just my opinion. Your certainly not doing any harm...assuming the maintenance is done correctly.

I'll recommend the following website if you want to understand more about vehicle lubrication. Motor oils have come a long way, and are more robust and longer lasting then ever before. Used Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy.

As for spark plugs, it depends on the type of ignition system and the type of plug. Your 00 GT specified plug changes at 100k miles. Modern coil on plug ignitions using iridium or platinum tipped plugs can go upwards of 100k on the factory set of spark plugs. However, inspecting them at intervals of say 20-30k miles, will allow you to keep track of their condition AND it usually prevents them from getting seized in the cylinder head like is sometimes the case at 100k mile "tune-ups".
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion