Towing on a mustang or truck - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Towing on a mustang or truck

Hi guys, I got into motocross about a year ago and sold my gt for a truck to tow my bike around. Long story short, I missed my mustang so I bought a v6 so I could keep my bike. Bike broke down and sold it for cheap and now stuck with the v6. I'm wanting bad to get back into motocross because I truly love it and feel like a different person out there. Takes me away from the world. Problem is a mustang isn't know as a towing vehicle. Should I get a hideaway hitch and have a horizontal bar to tow my bike on and keep the stang and look a little ghetto or should I sell the stang and buy a truck to carry it around with.? Would love some opinions to help decide my decision. Thanks guys.!
SkylerTallman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You can tow on just about any vehicle, and considering the mustang has a solid rear axle, its actually better off then your average passenger car. Just keep it lightweight, no more then 1500lbs, and I don't see an issue. If you are towing a couple motocross bikes, that's not going to be a problem.

Hell, people tow stuff on motorcycles!
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
You can tow on just about any vehicle, and considering the mustang has a solid rear axle, its actually better off then your average passenger car. Just keep it lightweight, no more then 1500lbs, and I don't see an issue. If you are towing a couple motocross bikes, that's not going to be a problem.

Hell, people tow stuff on motorcycles!

Thanks for the feedback man! Much appreciated. This is what I was think about doing to tow it so it wouldn't look to ridiculous. Lol Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1401931281.012367.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	158592
SkylerTallman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Mustangs are factory rated for up to 1500 pounds. A small trailer is no problem with a few dirtbikes. I towed my KFX700 (500+ pounds) with my Honda Element (same tow rating but Front wheel drive, 4 cylinder, high center of gravity) and it was no issue at all. I'd recommend a small cheap trailer so you can balance it out. Do not use a hitch mounted bike carrier unless you can get a 2" receiver hitch on your Mustang. One guy at my track used a Honda Fit to tow his 450 quad , he was there all the time.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I've seen a few guys have really small hitches on their street/strip cars and tow the drag wheels behind the car to the track and swap them out when they get there. A single bike will not be a problem but you may get a lot of funny looks lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I plan on getting a hitch for my Mustang next week actually. I will be pulling my small trailer. It can fit a 450 quad and 2 bikes. If a neon automatic can pull it, the damn mustang will with no issues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion