Which car to buy? Please help. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Region: Nevada
Which car to buy? Please help.

Hello guys, new to the forum here.

I am 25 years old and wondering what to get as my first sports car with some luxury. I have been looking at the mustang and I am not sure whether I should get 2015 or 2014. The 2014 have really good deals right now with discounts and 0% interest rate. Also, I am not sure whether I should get GT or V6, auto or manual, blue or black? Btw, I have never driven a manual before but I would like to try and learn. Or should I just drive an auto?

My budget is around $30-40K; would like it to be low 30s though. I would also like it to have the premium package; I want leather seats

Please help me to decide. Also, I know this is a mustang forum but if anyone suggests other cars, please let me know.

Thanks,

James
jdowney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Being 25 you should get something that isn't gonna break the bank or put you in a bind later down the line......it's not worth it. Color,car,tranny and interior options are all up to you. Hit the dealer,tell them what you want to spend,what you are looking for and test drive the **** outta them.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Bro just wait for the 15's just to check them out before you buy a 14'. I wish I would have done that instead of buying my 13' GT last year.

And if you can afford it go for it, no matter if your young. I was 22 when I bought mine last year all on my own with a decent interest rate(3.8%) and my own insurance and everything (Expensive insurance, but I can handle it).
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

In the end, everyone wants a GT. It's more expensive though. Black retains it's value better also. If you black ext and interior, it retains it's value even better than just black ext. auto's are suppose to be worth more but when I searched the manuals were always more.. I assumed due to it being a fun sport car. I am just presenting the dollar sign facts because who knows what you want. V6 is plenty of fun and you can get a fully decked out one for like 27-31k. In the end it's not a GT though which is incredible power wise. I'd get a triple black manual 5.0 if it was me >: )

Screw the 15' that thing is horrendous.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I didn't want a GT so don't believe everyone wants one (yes I could afford it, I never finance). Call your insurance agent first, some companies have a much bigger penalty for the GT vs a V6 car. If you want a smoother ride get a V6 car, they are extremely plush. If you really want luxury at least drive a Challenger. I strongly recommend not buying a first year car, they almost always have lots of problems in comparison. If you are financing consider a V6 Premium then when the 2016s come out you will have a better idea if you need a V-8 or if you want to try a different transmission. The V6 will likely be fast enough and is faster than many "fast" cars from only a few years ago. I wanted a base and would not have bought a Premium even if it was cheaper than a base but I realize how much people like Leather seats and modern gadjets so I say go for it. A Premium V6 will be under budget and will free up money when you have a better idea of what you really like.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
In the end, everyone wants a GT. It's more expensive though. Black retains it's value better also. If you black ext and interior, it retains it's value even better than just black ext. auto's are suppose to be worth more but when I searched the manuals were always more.. I assumed due to it being a fun sport car. I am just presenting the dollar sign facts because who knows what you want. V6 is plenty of fun and you can get a fully decked out one for like 27-31k. In the end it's not a GT though which is incredible power wise. I'd get a triple black manual 5.0 if it was me >: )

Screw the 15' that thing is horrendous.
I did want a 5.0 but at 7,500 dollars more than a 3.7 model, didn't want it that bad. Not worth 7,500 dollars extra too me. I took 4k and modded my 3.7 exactly the way I wanted too and couldn't be happier. Not everybody wants a GT bud. . Sorry to break it too ya but NOT EVERYONE.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I did want a 5.0 but at 7,500 dollars more than a 3.7 model, didn't want it that bad. Not worth 7,500 dollars extra too me. I took 4k and modded my 3.7 exactly the way I wanted too and couldn't be happier. Not everybody wants a GT bud. . Sorry to break it too ya but NOT EVERYONE.

Sent from my little Johnson.

Lmfao... "I did want a 5.0 but it was 7500 more ... Not everyone wants a GT bud"

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 06-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Get the auto. I love manual transmissions, but I don't trust the MT-82. The noises it makes and the feel of it. I just know its going to take a **** early in life. I've heard of numerous MT-82 digesting their own synchros around 70k miles.

Get the Auto.

But as others have said, don't saddle yourself with Debt. Get something you can afford...really afford.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
Get the auto. I love manual transmissions, but I don't trust the MT-82. The noises it makes and the feel of it. I just know its going to take a **** early in life. I've heard of numerous MT-82 digesting their own synchros around 70k miles.

Get the Auto.

But as others have said, don't saddle yourself with Debt. Get something you can afford...really afford.

Yeah that's scary for the mustangs future value. Worse than the t3650 which have the rep of dying early from synchro's.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowney88 View Post
Hello guys, new to the forum here.

I am 25 years old and wondering what to get as my first sports car with some luxury. I have been looking at the mustang and I am not sure whether I should get 2015 or 2014. The 2014 have really good deals right now with discounts and 0% interest rate. Also, I am not sure whether I should get GT or V6, auto or manual, blue or black? Btw, I have never driven a manual before but I would like to try and learn. Or should I just drive an auto?

My budget is around $30-40K; would like it to be low 30s though. I would also like it to have the premium package; I want leather seats

Please help me to decide. Also, I know this is a mustang forum but if anyone suggests other cars, please let me know.

Thanks,

James
Get a 2014 V6 Auto. You can play with it and if you don't want to invest a lot of money, you can still have fun with it.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Lmfao... "I did want a 5.0 but it was 7500 more ... Not everyone wants a GT bud"
I want a GT500 but its 20k more.
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:30 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly I would get the 15 gt...I trust Ford enough to take the plunge plus IMHO they look awesome plus everything they say about them sounds awesome...if you do decide on a 14 I still say get the gt. If your budget is as much as you say then I assume that means somewhat in the long term. Don't get a v6 if you're even thinking about a v8 cause for sure you're gonna look back and regret it. You should also look into some used gt500s. You don't have to get a new vehicle plus people seem to take care of those pretty well. When I line up with a cobra badge, win or lose there's always that somewhat envious feeling Lol. This is all my personal opinion so take it for what is worth and I hope you do get a Mustang and that you're happy with it no matter what.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jsteele84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
2014 V6 Automatic.

/thread.

Cheaper insurance, cheaper gas, still 300hp, new autos shift great, never buy the first year of a new model when they have just come out and at the V6 price point you can afford to get ALL the bells/whistles and then still have $$$ to mod it later on.

Especially as a first sports car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on Scotty, except do you really want to spend $ on mediocre leather and Sync (read reviews of it). It does sound like thats what YOU want so go ahead just know what you are buying 1st. fwiw I would get a plain V8 well before a fancy V6 but that is what I wanted. Also idk your $ but that is a lot for someone your age don't overspend if you don't have it.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well I'm going by what the OP stated wanting the leather and all the goodies. If it was ME I would probably do things differently looking at the tech package or whatever other packages are available. The HID headlights in the premium version are really nice though. Having finally got a good set of headlights into a mustang I can say its a big deal if you drive at night.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
i'm going to skip ready all these. But right now you can get a great price on the 2014 mustangs. I'd go check them out. The premium package is the way to go definitely. As for v8 or v6...i'd go v8 def. get that added power of course. As for color the DIB is an awesome darker blue color. I wouldn't tell the dealership what you are looking to spend bc they will send you out at that mark. find a car you like and want and talk them down as much as you can so you can make mods on it with any leftover money if you want.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

One can also go looking for a good pre-owned one that possibly still has a warranty or one available to purchase from Ford to cut a solid $10-$15k off a 5.0 vs new.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The whole GT versus V6 argument reminds me a lot of Wrangler forums with Jeeps up to 2007 and the whole 4.0 litre 6 cylinder versus the 2.5 litre 4 banger. It's only the guys with the 4 cylinders that are constantly defending there choice. I had a 2.5 jeep for a year as a beach cruiser and I loved the thing. But like others, if I bought again I wouldn't do another 4 cylinder.

It seems like that here, 6 cylinder guys always justifying why they bought it. To each his own but to me (hence, my opinion) I would take a GT with less options than a loaded V6. I don't particularly care about mpg because my GT is not my daily driver. Plus I have a 1994 so money between GT and V6 was not much or not enough to consider. If buying a daily, I wouldn't look at Mustangs so I have a hard time offering much more than that.

Get into both, drive some miles and post up pics of what you buy!! We all love pics I think we can agree haha.
surfinglbi23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion